• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    My truck broke down, 4 days before the scheduled tune up.:n00b: had it all planned out; plugs, wires, pcv valve, air filter, fuel filter. Get to an intersection, go to hit the gas, and dead, crank it for a while still no start. Worst of all this truck I use to deliver pizzas in which is my job. Oh well as the saying goes, when it rains, it pours.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sudden death on modern vehicles can generally be linked to a dead electric fuel pump. Since the fuel pumps are generally internally mounted in the tank, changing one is a pain. I have them changed (at my convienience) at 80-90,000 miles, even if the car is running great. Overkill, maybe, but I used to spend a lot of time in high crime areas, and a disabled car could cost me my life.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sudden death on modern vehicles can generally be linked to a dead electric fuel pump. Since the fuel pumps are generally internally mounted in the tank, changing one is a pain. I have them changed (at my convienience) at 80-90,000 miles, even if the car is running great. Overkill, maybe, but I used to spend a lot of time in high crime areas, and a disabled car could cost me my life.
    one of the ways to kill a fuel pump the fastest is to run it almost empty all the time. The fuel acutally cools the pump down and also doesn't let the suction suck up any sediment from the bottom of the tank. YMMV

jrm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    speaking of fuel pumps. I dont know if it is our lowest bidder gas we get for my work car or not but I had 5 replaced in my last car. It was turned in with only 50,000 miles on it. I always kept above 1/4 tank.
    Im not the only one either. Everyone I work with has lost more than one fuel pump.
    Would your truck happen to be a Ford?

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Fuel pump on my Toyota is just under the rear seats. Real easy to get to.

If you "hit the gas" maybe its something else though.

Any horrible noises that sounded like pistons fusing with a block or anything ;) ?

PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    Paid 55$ to have it towed to my house. Having mechanic come out tonight to look it over and discuss options. Truck is a 1990 Ford Bronco with a 351W. Has 135,xxx miles.

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    TFI Modules like to go bad in those year 302s and 351s. It will be mounted to the side of the distributor. If your fuel pump makes noise when you turn the key on, I'd place a small wager on the TFI being bad. Easy to change but it does need a special socket to do it.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    400$'s later and still no fix. Mechanic thinks I have a couple dead cylinders. This friggin sucks. Have no Idea wth I'm gonna do now.

If it were just a couple of dead cylinders it would of kept running, it just would of run real bad.

Best way to diagnose something like it is check for the major components of combustion. Do you have Spark? Do you have fuel? Do you have compression? Likely it is the spark or fuel. It wouldn't of just died like that and not restarted without some major loud noise if it were loss of compression. Likely the TFI module (ignition module) or fuel pump.

What has he checked/done so far to have spent $400 without it being fixed yet? He should diagnose it before just throwing parts at it. The method of throwing parts at it till you get it right gets really expensive real fast.

Top Bottom