• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sarah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I recently, a month ago, applied for my license to carry a hand gun. I was denied because, well here is what they said: "We are in possession of information that you are not a proper person to be licensed. As defined by IC 35-47-1-7, a proper person could have been sentenced for more then one (1) year." Now while I do have a misdemeanor charge, it is not a felony, and I only have the 1.

How do I appeal? How do I word it so that I can get my license? Any help would be awesome!

Sarah :patriot:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Was it domestic violence or drugs? A defense of your misdemeanor that involved emotional instabilities or mental issues? None of my business but since you broach the subject... Those are things that *might* be grounds in their eyes.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    See below.

ARTICLE 3. FIREARMS LICENSING Rule 1. Issuance
    240 IAC 3-1-1
    Authority: Affected:
    Issuance; improper persons; restricted licenses
    IC 10-11-2-10 IC 35-47-2-3; IC 35-47-2-4
    Sec. 1. ISSUANCE. (1) The Superintendent of the Indiana State Police Department will not issue a firearm license which would place a licensee in contradiction of Federal Firearm Law.
    (2) A person is an improper person if: (A) He has a history of minor criminal activity which would give rise to a reasonable belief that the applicant has a propensity for violent or emotionally unstable conduct. (B) He is found, upon a standard of reasonable belief, not to be emotionally stable. (C) He has been charged and convicted of any violent crime as defined by 35-23-4.1-1 [Repealed by P.L.311-1983, SECTION 49. See, IC 35-47-2-3 concerning criteria for accepting an application for a license.] (D) He makes a false statement of material fact on his application. (3) A person will have a sufficient reason for the issuance of an unlimited firearm license if he states a legal purpose for
    desiring such license. (4) On the statement of a reason meeting the criteria of I (3) [subsection (3) of this section] the burden of denying a license
    due to improper or insufficent reason shall be upon the Superintendent. (5) The Superintendent may issue a restricted license when the license is issued for a person's employment. (State Police
    Department; Firearms Rule I; filed Dec 15, 1977: Rules and Regs. 1978, p. 808; readopted filed Oct 17, 2001, 10:05 a.m.: 25 IR 935; readopted filed Jul 2, 2007, 3:01 p.m.: 20070711-IR-240070255RFA)

Rule 4. General
    240 IAC 3-4-1
    Authority: Affected:
    FIREARMS LICENSING
    Application for license; hearing; default; disapproval
    IC 10-11-2-10 IC 35-47-2-3; IC 35-47-2-4
    Sec. 1. GENERAL. (1) An applicant need not list traffic arrests or traffic convictions on his application except: (A) Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol, Drugs or Narcotics; (B) Reckless Driving; (C) Fleeing a Police Officer; and
    (D) Any charges related to injury or death.
    (2) An applicant or licensee who requests an administrative hearing must appear unless the applicant or licensee makes a timely request and a continuance is granted. Failure to appear is a default.
    (3) An agency disapproving an application for which a hearing is scheduled must have a representative present at the hearing if so requested to appear.
    (4) Any agency disapproving an application must state specific reasons. In case of criminal record denial, the agency must supply charges, dates, and dispositions. (State Police Department; Firearms Rule IV; filed Dec 15, 1977: Rules and Regs. 1978, p. 809; readopted filed Oct 17, 2001, 10:05 a.m.: 25 IR 935; readopted filed Jul 2, 2007, 3:01 p.m.: 20070711-IR-240070255RFA
    )

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Better:

Appeal Process

If your application has been denied, you may request an appeal in writing and mail it to:

Indiana State Police Firearms Licensing Section
    100 N. Senate Avenue—IGCN
    Indianapolis IN 46204

If you believe you were denied for an invalid reason, call 317-232-8264 and ask to talk with the clerk over that area to discuss your denial. Before you call, please take the time to read the letter of denial and make sure you understand your criminal history.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    The link Spasmo posted and the verbage I quoted... you want to start there and, if you make no headway, see an attorney. If you can't afford an attorney, then legal aid or maybe a pro-gun, pro-bono attorney.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    You may be the victim of identity theft, with an individual picked up for a disqualifying criteria, and used your information.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yeah, the cops can put Conspiracy to Steal the Moon, a Class AAA Felony, it doesn't matter. The final disposition controls (unless its the Class A or B Felony disqualifier but that's not you).

The problem is that ISP is notorious for looking at only what you were arrested for. Their records are getting better but still less than optimal.

It is within your best interests to contact an attorney.

Top Bottom