• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I know there are some threads that have libraries brought up in them, but there are no threads dedicated to library carry. So, here we go.

We use the library a lot. Particularly the Central branch in Indianapolis. We're there about once a week.

As I read the law, libraries are not expressly prohibited because they're not state property. But, just like courthouses and police stations (also local or county property), there might be local prohibitions.

Discuss.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    The Library branches all have posted a list on things that will get you kicked out. Somewhere towards the bottom is possession of firearms on the property. I don't know how enforceable this is, since IMCPL is taxpayer-funded and hence is a public place. I e-mailed Brian Ciyou, but he has yet to address Library carry.

Concealed Carry means exactly that.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, I checked my local libraries and they had nothing on carry. It's certainly not posted anywhere online or on their doors. My guess is you need to move to a more civilised county.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The Library branches all have posted a list on things that will get you kicked out. Somewhere towards the bottom is possession of firearms on the property. I don't know how enforceable this is, since IMCPL is taxpayer-funded and hence is a public place. I e-mailed Brian Ciyou, but he has yet to address Library carry.

Concealed Carry means exactly that.

I don't know why Mr. Ciyou would address libraries in his book as his book is meant to be a "state-wide" resource. Each and every municipality that owns/operates a library can have vastly different rules, laws, and regulations.

-J-

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As each library is governed by different levels of government, the rules vary widely. for instance, the Brownsburg Public Library is run by the town, of it is off-limits by town ordinance. The Washington Township library in Avon is NOT run by the town of Avon, so not limited by their ordinance (I think they have a rule, though).

Last I checked on the Central Library, it had a rule, but no ordinance. They also have guards and metal detectors, so the rule appears to be strictly enforced. Too bad, though. I have a bunch of genealogy research I'd like to do. No way I'm hang around the library w/ the bums unarmed.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I have carried many times at the Kentucky Historical Society for work and to use their resources, and there are no rules forbidding carry. I even carry into the State Capitol building and the attached annex where the legislators do their business. The funny thing, I can carry all the time, EXPECT when the legislators are "In Session". Go figure... anyway, it is really crazy, I can and do OC into the KY State Police Headquarters, but it is against KY Statutes to CC into the state police headquarters. Again, I only go there for business related purposes, but I have never gotten a second glance. Oh and I am NOT a LEO.

INGunGuy

Top Bottom