• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I thought some of our Libertarian friends here would enjoy this article.

Saul Friedman: Libertarians: The Paranoid Style in American Politics

Suddenly libertarianism has become the newest fashion among the paranoid in American politics. But be not deceived; they are just as reactionary and extreme as their more deranged and schizophrenic political brethren on the far, far right who want to "take back" the government they hate in order to cripple it.

But libertarians are getting a measure of respect in much of the mainstream press, and approval by 38 percent of Americans, largely as a result of its two most prominent figures, Rep. Ron Paul, a likeable Texas Republican, and his son Randall (Rand), who has captured the Republican nomination for the Kentucky Senate seat being vacated by a true oddball, Jim Bunning, a former star major league pitcher.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Sounds like he is angry that libertarians don't want a big government and promote personal responsibility that go against his idea of a social program utopia. And the fact that the libertarian party is growing and taking away possible democrats that he thinks his party deserves to have.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Seems like I have seen some of the listed positions posted here :nono:
    Of course you have. He's given a fair number of small examples, but it's the greater picture he's trying to paint that's broken. He wants libertarians to fit into the Republican box so that he doesn't have to think about them anymore. He doesn't understand that there are fundamental differences of principle that separate Republicans and libertarians... the most basic of which is that Republicans believe government power can be used for good, while libertarians generally believe that government power is evil in and of itself.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Statist Liberal wants to keep Libertarian Liberals Statist.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Us libertarians must be paranoid of our own guns magically shooting us in the head... oh wait... that's the liberals... :D

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Yes, it's much easier to fight over who's idea of big government is best than it is to debate big government vs small government.

Huffpo delivers the fail once again.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am just shocked with this disrespect of the Huffington Post. I always thought they were one of the top news outlets out there. Isn't that where the White House gets all of their news?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Libertarianism IS liberalism. They're the same thing. I always crack up when I see so-called "libertarians" bagging on "liberals."

The only reason the word "libertarian" even exists is because the progressives hijacked the word liberal. Everywhere else in the world, including England, Germany, etc., libertarian parties are referred to as "liberals."

Top Bottom