• ...and so much more!
  • NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    Liberal Donors Prop Up Libertarian to Save Tester in Montana

Tester defeated incumbent Sen. Conrad Burns by just 3,000 votes in the Democrat wave election in 2006. The Libertarian candidate in that race attracted 10,000 votes, possibly siphoning off enough votes to hand the election to Tester. This year, major liberal donors are trying to ensure the Libertarian candidate, Dan Cox, takes enough voters from Rehberg to again allow Tester to eke out a victory. It's not just a hope--they're buying hundreds of thousands of dollars in ads to support Cox. It's telling that they think they can best help Tester by promoting another candidate.

Interesting. Surprised the same thing isn't happening in the Indiana Senate race.. Or is it?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    That's unpossible. It appears the Dems believe a vote for a Libertarian is actually a vote for the left. We know that isn't true because the INGO "don't blame us" crowd has assured us that isn't true? So it's all good, right?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Perhaps Republicans should run on a platform that makes people actually want to vote for them instead of just against democrats.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Perhaps Republicans should run on a platform that makes people actually want to vote for them instead of just against democrats.

It's a time of great cultural change in our country right now. Just look around at this forum...libertarians versus conservatives all day long.

When more of the socially conservative old people die off, we'll have our time.

I've always been before my time anyway.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    46% vs <5‰

Which one runs a platform that attracts votes?

of that 46%, how many are only voting R because they're afraid the D might win? How many are voting because they agree with his policies more than anyone else?

I'd say 100% of the 5% voted because they actually like the guy, and not just because he's the lesser of two evils.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    46% vs <5‰

Which one runs a platform that attracts votes?

With enough money and a bright enough light, I can convince droves of mosquitoes to fly directly into an electric current too...

19990704ye7.jpg

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    of that 46%, how many are only voting R because they're afraid the D might win? How many are voting because they agree with his policies more than anyone else?

I'd say 100% of the 5% voted because they actually like the guy, and not just because he's the lesser of two evils.

I stated a statistic that can be substantiated. You ask a question that I don't know the answer to but is framed with a false premise. I would bet there are more than 5% voting republican that like Romney though.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    With enough money and a bright enough light, I can convince droves of mosquitoes to fly directly into an electric current too...

19990704ye7.jpg

I tend to believe the human brain is superior to most insects. You may disagree.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    What percentage of the Libertarian vote comes from folks who just enjoy being rebels and want to buck the two big parties in play?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Interesting. Surprised the same thing isn't happening in the Indiana Senate race.. Or is it?

I've been thinking for a very long time that there are several liberals here that scheme to try and lure conservative voters away from Romney by posing as Libertarians.

;)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've been thinking for a very long time that there are several liberals here that scheme to try and lure conservative voters away from Romney by posing as Libertarians.

;)

You must work for the RNC. You guys can't fathom that there are those who refuse to subscribe to the uniparty bs.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I stated a statistic that can be substantiated. You ask a question that I don't know the answer to but is framed with a false premise. I would bet there are more than 5% voting republican that like Romney though.

What false premise?

The question is, "which party attracts voters?" Saying that 46% of voters voted republican doesn't tell us anything other than how votes were cast.

So, let's examine why people vote for which party.

Why do people vote Libertarian? Is it because they're the lesser of THREE evils? Perhaps. More than likely, based on polling and interviews, they vote L, because they actually agree with that platform, and support the philosophy.

Why do people vote Republican? I'm sure some people do vote R, because they agree with the platform more than any other party. Polling and interviews tell us that that majority of people vote Republican in order to keep the Democrat from winning. Not because they support the Republican, but that they disagree with the Democrat MORE, and they don't see a Libertarian as being capable of defeating the Democrat. Most Republicans see defeating the Democrat as top priority.

So, Republican candidates can win by virtue of simply not being a Democrat. That is no platform to attract free thinking people with no party allegiance.

Switch D and R as necessary where applicable.

Republican government doesn't attract anyone, people just see it as a better alternative to Democrat government. Given a "viable" 3rd option, they'd take it in a heartbeat. This has been shown time and again on this website, which leans HEAVILY Republican.

Stats and economics are about much more than just numbers.

Top Bottom