• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    To use trimmed cases that are compliant to the abnormal regulations have any yall tried using a knurling tool to put a crimp groove on .35 caliber bullets that would preserve the normal seated out length for the .35 Remington?
    Looks like it could be simple as pie.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I have a Corbin #1 knurling tool that I bought years ago, I bought it to add a crimp groove on vintage 30-06 ball bullets to load in 308.
    it worked well, it has easily done 10 to 12 thousand bullets ( two 50bmg cans full of pulled bullets ) in its life and the original knurling cutter has never been changed.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Ah ha! Sounds about fine as frog hair.
    Seems to me it might be the easy solution to the goofy reg for .35 Remington shooters.
    How close to the backside of a bullet can the channelure be placed?
    Fully adjustable?

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    I have played with the 35rem shortened to 1.8" for a couple of years, have shot them in a Marlin lever action, a Remington pump action, a Remington bolt action, and a CVA single shot. You don't need a crimping groove on the bullets if you use a LEE Collet Crimp Die that has been modified for 1.8". I have loaded and fired a couple of hundred rounds, have kept the recommended OAL, and crimped them with the Lee die, and have not had any of the bullets move in the case. I have tried to force them to move by pushing as hard as I could against the loading table, they are solid. After they are loaded you can see the crimp groove above the case mouth, but looks don't hurt anything. The crimp dies are about $20, from Midway, and you can modify them yourself with a Dremel and a file. I think that there would be no advantage to take the time to put cannelures on each bullet, but there would be no harm either I guess.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    To the best of my memory its fully adj on where to can roll a groove.
    But I will agree with Mike about using a Lee Crimp die.
    If would be alot cheaper and easier to trim a die than buy a groover.
    I plan on going to my weekend place this weekend, and when I do I will dig it out and refresh myself on its adjustments.
    I would be surprised if it didn't do what you are looking for, and I do know they will custom make a knurling die if you need something different.

Top Bottom