• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Parke County
    I plan on buying a new lever action .22 in the future, but I would like to hear your opinions on which you think is better, a Marlin 39a or Henry .22. I already own an old 39a, and my father has the Henry Varmint in .17HMR. I enjoy them both, what do INGO'ers think?

Any help is appreciated.

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    I have both a Henry 001 and a marlin 39a the 39a is a heavier better built rifle but the henry is a very accurate little rifle for the money that being said if they were both the same price I would take the Marlin but you can't go wrong with either one they are both fun guns to shoot. In my opinion the older Marlins are better than the new ones if I was buying one I would look for a nice older pre 80's one :twocents: Good Luck with your purchase of either one:)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The 39A is a nice piece, but I'd look for an older/used one. New ones are too pricey for what they are, and I wouldn't trust anything coming out of Marlin these days; QC has been spotty at best since the merger with Remington.

The Henrys are simpler and cheaper (in both price and construction), but shoot well and have very smooth actions, and Henry gives pretty good customer service to boot. If you want to go a step up from the basic H001, try the H001T (20" octagon barrel); I don't think you'd be disappointed.

h001t-leveroctagon-main.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    I looked at a henry rifle 3 years ago and ended up buying a taurus model 62,
    the main reason was the taurus receiver was blued and the henry was painted and
    it already had chips in the paint.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Parke County
    The bad QC scares me... thanks for the heads up... It looks like I will be looking into the Henry market once again, or the Taurus as buford was talking about. I guess that makes more sense, as I already have a 39a that I'm happy with :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Just another idea ,I was down at the sportsmans warehouse and looked at a little browning
    22 lever ,it was a beautiful gun with better wood than I have seen on most 22 rifles.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I really like my Henry, can nop speak for the Marlin. I do know Henry has great CS. My rear site was canted. They sent me a knew one no problem.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You'd be remiss if you didn't entertain the thought of the Browning BL-22 as well.

Gonna be more expensive than the others, though.

But man-oh-man; you've not run a faster / slicker .22 lever rifle than the BL-22.

-J-

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    39a circa 1950-1970. Superb fit and finish, amazing accuracy, easy to break-down/clean and very easy to work on yourself IF parts break.

Also, NO plastic parts, which you have to watch out for on the Henrys.

No experience with the Brownings so I can't speak to them.

Also no experience with the Ithica 22 lever. I rarely see them but someone had one posted on the classifieds for $150 (I think).

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    The Marlins are great guns but I'd get the Henry with the price being a factor. Henrys are smooth as butter, very accurate, American made, great customer service and I doubt the average shooter could wear one out. With the savings on the gun itself, you could buy a bunch of 22 LR.....

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    The Marlins are great guns but I'd get the Henry with the price being a factor. Henrys are smooth as butter, very accurate, American made, great customer service and I doubt the average shooter could wear one out. With the savings on the gun itself, you could buy a bunch of 22 LR.....
    Marlins are "smooth as butter, very accurate, American made, great customer service and I doubt the average shooter could wear one out."

sb22lr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    I had my Henry 001 at the range today and was able to shoot a nice group at 50 yards with the open sights. It is very smooth and accurate. I have probably put 300 rounds through it since Christmas without any problems. I bought for under $200 on a black friday sale last year.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Parke County
    I plan on using it to eradicate the bird problem we have on our property. We have a large number of cherry trees, and for the past few years, we haven't been able to pick any, due to so many birds coming and eating them all before they are ripe. Even though all the cherries are gone, they still hang around. I average about 6 birds a day.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I plan on using it to eradicate the bird problem we have on our property. We have a large number of cherry trees, and for the past few years, we haven't been able to pick any, due to so many birds coming and eating them all before they are ripe. Even though all the cherries are gone, they still hang around. I average about 6 birds a day.

Hard to beat a light / handy lever rifle with a mag tube stoked with about 20 .22short rounds... :rockwoot:

Top Bottom