• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What do you guys use to care for your lawn? Do you use the Scott's Lawn Care products that you can buy from Lowes, or do you buy from your local co-op?

Or do you use a local company that will come and spray your lawn for you?

My goal is to get rid of the weeds, clover, crab grass and have a thick healthy green lawn.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Tagging. I'd love to have more grass than weeds, but right now it's not economical.

Edit: I wouldn't pay someone. When my grandma died and my mom moved in with my grandpa to help him take care of the house, she continued the lawn care service he had set up. They had no special care for the application of their products and a good portion of the flower/vegetable plants in beds were destroyed.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I hand pick the dandelions and plaintains. In early Spring I treat with crab grass preventer and mulch the grass clippings. I let everything else grow. Now the violets are taking over, but it's mostly grass. I have 0.8 acres to mow. Not a big fan off grass, but it looks best in the Spring/early Summer. I refuse to turn my lawn into a junkie. I use moles for aeration. And grubs to keep them happy.:)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I spent $200 on grub killer one year to combat the moles. It worked great. Until the farmer found moles moved to his property, and used something to move em back to mine the following year. Next 200$ I spend will be on a lawn roller.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    My ***hole neighbor uses some concoction he makes from beer, baking soda and some other strange ingredient . He will not tell anyone what's in it exactly. But his yard is simply beautiful!! What ever is in it, kills weeds and leaves the grass really thick and green! God he's a ****!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I spent $200 on grub killer one year to combat the moles. It worked great. Until the farmer found moles moved to his property, and used something to move em back to mine the following year. Next 200$ I spend will be on a lawn roller.
    Try castor beans in the mole tunnels.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Try castor beans in the mole tunnels.
    This is where I struggle. we get no tunnels, they're just dug down deep. This is good in some ways I suppose, but it makes it much harder to bait them, as the only evidence is the mounds when they come up for air, or whatever it is they do.
    Ive used the mole bait worms with limited success... Mole traps with zero success... The baits concern me due to our dogs, and I don't want them to get into the poison bait. Spike traps I can put a trash can over, but I can never predict where they will pop out next.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    My ***hole neighbor uses some concoction he makes from beer, baking soda and some other strange ingredient . He will not tell anyone what's in it exactly. But his yard is simply beautiful!! What ever is in it, kills weeds and leaves the grass really thick and green! God he's a ****!

Or that is what he is telling you anyways :laugh:

One of the most important treatments I think is the winterizer with weed killer followed up in late spring with the crabgrass preventer and you will be amazed at how much better your yard looks

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    This is where I struggle. we get no tunnels, they're just dug down deep. This is good in some ways I suppose, but it makes it much harder to bait them, as the only evidence is the mounds when they come up for air, or whatever it is they do.
    Ive used the mole bait worms with limited success... Mole traps with zero success... The baits concern me due to our dogs, and I don't want them to get into the poison bait. Spike traps I can put a trash can over, but I can never predict where they will pop out next.

Get some of those 3 minute smoke bombs and smoke the bastards out. And it is just neat watching smoke drift up from different areas of your yard

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a local company spray my yard. He basically makes his money on the discount he gets on chemicals. I cant remember for sure, but I did the math and it costs me 10-15 more dollars to spray my 1 acre yard to have him do it VS buying the stuff to do it myself.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When I lived in town, on a postage stamp sized yard, I used the Scott's products and was extremely happy with the results. As BK recommended, I'd put down the crabgrass preventer in the early spring and one more "weed-n-feed" by early June. When the temps hit the 90's, it's tough to keep grass growing unless you try to drain Lake Monroe. Then sometime in the fall, I'd put out a winterizer treatment. That crabgrass preventer works great. I could always tell if I miss a spot (usually near a corner of my yard) because there's be crabgrass by summer.

Now, I keep several acres mowed and I've gone to a strict organic, minimalist approach--if it's green, it's good enough. :D

If only I could do something about those moles. :rolleyes: The put up mounds that are 6-8" tall and 12-16" in diameter. Sometimes I feel like I'm driving one of those lunar rovers with my mower, driving over all those hills. :xmad:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    When I lived in town, on a postage stamp sized yard, I used the Scott's products and was extremely happy with the results. As BK recommended, I'd put down the crabgrass preventer in the early spring and one more "weed-n-feed" by early June. When the temps hit the 90's, it's tough to keep grass growing unless you try to drain Lake Monroe. Then sometime in the fall, I'd put out a winterizer treatment. That crabgrass preventer works great. I could always tell if I miss a spot (usually near a corner of my yard) because there's be crabgrass by summer.

Now, I keep several acres mowed and I've gone to a strict organic, minimalist approach--if it's green, it's good enough. :D

If only I could do something about those moles. :rolleyes: The put up mounds that are 6-8" tall and 12-16" in diameter. Sometimes I feel like I'm driving one of those lunar rovers with my mower, driving over all those hills. :xmad:

Moles are *******s.

But I think I have a decent solution. Go catch a bunch of rat snakes and garter snakes and just force them down the holes.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    It's like we're twin brothers or something. I will try the smoke out and birdshot option, and give an aar

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Moles are *******s.

But I think I have a decent solution. Go catch a bunch of rat snakes and garter snakes and just force them down the holes.

It's like we're twin brothers or something. I will try the smoke out and birdshot option, and give an aar

I don't know if it's just a coincidence but a couple of months ago, I pulled my core-aerator all over the parts of the yard that were really infested with the little buggers. That really seemed to help for awhile. It's only been the last couple, 2-3 weeks they've come back with a vengence. Now the ground's getting hard enough, I don't know if it would do any good to try it aerating again.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Or that is what he is telling you anyways :laugh:

One of the most important treatments I think is the winterizer with weed killer followed up in late spring with the crabgrass preventer and you will be amazed at how much better your yard looks
    Your right!! Just like a pool, winterization is important. Every now and then I'll pluck a dandelion from my yard, and gently place it in my neighbors yard, it's a hoot to watch his head explode when he sees it!!

Top Bottom