• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Some old timers around the area call these things a very derogatory racial slur for African-Americans.

*I want to see what you guys & galls have found in terms of Geodes. Show us your treasure finds!

*To crack or not to crack?

And last....

*Where do geodes in Indiana come from? Indiana isn't known to be volcanic so where do these little boogers come from?

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I don't know any answers to your questions aside from the inappropriate nickname for these geological beauties.

I do know that on occasion, these can be cracked open and water will spill out of them. Like Moses, you too can strike a rock and make water spew forth.

Allegedly, the water inside the geode is as old as the geode itself and the mineral make up of the water can be compared to the mineral make up of water today to gauge the differences between the two. Of course, it is entirely possibly the geode held in your hand could have been pushed several hundred miles from it's originator by flood or ice age.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I have several sitting around the place. I call them 'geodes!' DUH!:D

Where they come from...
    Geode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the 'city boy moves to the country' files....
    I once made a fire ring out of geodes. I didn't realize that it was a bad idea until I made the first fire. After the rocks got good and hot, they started to pop, crack, and blow up! :n00b:

Cornbread

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have about 30 to 40 In all sizes. Some as big as a basketball. Most from southern Indiana some from Kentucky. When i was young we would go camping and fishing Mom would make me help her collect them. Her name for them was bumbshells. I have no clue why she called them this. Now i know you will get in a lot of trouble if you take them out of the woods. I had to pay a fairly large fine. They are worth good money if not broken open.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Geodes are awesome. They were the reason I took Geology 101 in college. My daughter likes them too. She actually has a fascination with all kinds of rocks. She talks about igneous and sedimentary rocks then has to ask me what that third kind is quite often. It's Metamorphic for those of you are trying to remember. :)

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Geodes are awesome.

I agree.

I have several (from California) that my Grandfather made bookends out of. He cut them in half, then cut two small flats on each half so they would stand up and hold the books while displaying the cut and polished side.

Beautiful

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    i own a gravel pit with gazillions of geodes, my folks have found really big ones, i dont mess with them i sell them with the other gravel :D:D:D:D

ifn ya ever wanna go geode huntin let me know i will let INGO members go on my quarry!!!!!!!!

Cornbread

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    i own a gravel pit with gazillions of geodes, my folks have found really big ones, i dont mess with them i sell them with the other gravel :D:D:D:D

ifn ya ever wanna go geode huntin let me know i will let INGO members go on my quarry!!!!!!!!
    I would love to bring my grand daughters. They love rock collecting and they are really into fossils. So I would love to make a saturday of it. Just tell me what I need to do.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace

Im game. Im sure Rellichound and other member would LOVE to come to your place. Find a Geode the size of a basket ball? IM THERE!

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Im game. Im sure Rellichound and other member would LOVE to come to your place. Find a Geode the size of a basket ball? IM THERE!
    Never found one that big, but softball yes, mostly lemon size....

Wow, didnt know id have that many members wanting to go geode hunting, ive recieved several PMs with members wanting to go....
    I would have to write something up for everyone to sign so if you tripped & fell i dont get sued ( no offence fellas) but you gotta undertand.....
    I will give it a couple more days to see how many people wanna go & i will try set something up for you all.....
    Everytime my parents come out the dig around & always find geodes , fossils & Indian beads, but for the life of me i have NEVER found an arrow head..... My pit is an ancient Wabash & Big Vermillion river deposit, should let ya know where im located !!!
    where the vermillion meets the Wabash :ingo:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Never found one that big, but softball yes, mostly lemon size....

Wow, didnt know id have that many members wanting to go geode hunting, ive recieved several PMs with members wanting to go....
    I would have to write something up for everyone to sign so if you tripped & fell i dont get sued ( no offence fellas) but you gotta undertand.....
    I will give it a couple more days to see how many people wanna go & i will try set something up for you all.....
    Everytime my parents come out the dig around & always find geodes , fossils & Indian beads, but for the life of me i have NEVER found an arrow head..... My pit is an ancient Wabash & Big Vermillion river deposit, should let ya know where im located !!!
    where the vermillion meets the Wabash :ingo:

OK, I'm in. Post up what I need to do.

Yer talking about crinoids / indian beads, is that correct?

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    OK, I'm in. Post up what I need to do.

Yer talking about crinoids / indian beads, is that correct?
    Uhh, dont know the scientific name for indian beads, but the way i understand it is they are fossilized plant stems, the indians would bore the centers out to make necklaces ???? Ive always called them indian beads:dunno:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Uhh, dont know the scientific name for indian beads, but the way i understand it is they are fossilized plant stems, the indians would bore the centers out to make necklaces ???? Ive always called them indian beads:dunno:

That's it. The basement of the museum in Indianapolis would be an excellant trip for any one who wants to see excellant examples of what MIGHT be found in the same area. Wouldn't want to trip over one thing looking for another.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I'd love to do this too with my family. Waiver = no problem.

Can I suggest a date? June 10, 11, or 12? The few days in June my wife can get out of work.

Top Bottom