• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Time to get a new cell phone and I've been to every major carrier and they all have basically the same types of plans.

What I'm looking for is a phone/plan that's prepaid where the minutes don't expire (or they take a loooong time to expire). Don't want or need a data plan. Texting, I can take or leave - don't mind either way but don't do a lot of that either. I rarely use my cell phone (fewer than 8 hours a year) but do see its value in emergencies or while I'm out and about. The problem is, none of the major carriers have plans for my type of user. They're basically setup for people who live and die by their phone usage.

Anyone have the scoop on plans for the rest of us?

DerekBogie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2012
    Pre plans i use straight talk never anything else always had service and never any problems. $45 dollars unlimited everything. They even have a nice selection of phones to choose from.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Pre plans i use straight talk never anything else always had service and never any problems. $45 dollars unlimited everything. They even have a nice selection of phones to choose from.
    $45 for how many minutes or is that per month? My plan is to pay less than I'm paying now, which is $30/month. At $0.20/minute, $45 would last me nearly a year. Do your minute expire every month? I can see buying $45 worth, if they never expired.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, check out Tracfone.
    Tracfone - Store

You ought to be able to get at least 400 minutes and a year's coverage for about $120 or less. That works out to $10/month.:)
    I reload about every 90 days and get service for about $80 (plus all the taxes) per year. I haven't found a cheaper way to have a phone for emergencies.
    Once you've got the phone set up, things work pretty well. You can reload them on the website.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    Straight Talk is part of Tracfone. I had Tracfone for years and was happy with it. When I wore out my second phone I went to Straight Talk. I'm happy with Straight Talk service. Their basic service is $30.00/30 days. $45.00/30 days give you unlimited voice, web and text. With auto refill I have a phone that works 97% of the time, no worries.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Straight Talk is part of Tracfone. I had Tracfone for years and was happy with it. When I wore out my second phone I went to Straight Talk. I'm happy with Straight Talk service. Their basic service is $30.00/30 days. $45.00/30 days give you unlimited voice, web and text. With auto refill I have a phone that works 97% of the time, no worries.

Sounds like a good deal if you use your phone a lot.
    The OP says he needs about 8 hours a year!
    $360 to $540 per year works out to $0.75 to $1.12 per minute!:eek:
    Seems a little steep to me...

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Page plus has a $10 card that gives you 100 minutes and lasts for 120 days. They work with Verizon phones. I do the $12 plan which gives you 250 minutes and 250 text/picture messages a month. I loaded a $10 card and then switched to the $12 plan so it uses the 250 minutes first and I still have the 100 minutes as a reserve for 120 days.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I use tracfone... The minutes do expire if you don't use the phone much/refill.
    I use purchase a 200 minute card for $45 about every 3 months, with double minutes (Can get it when you purchase the phone initially) it gets me 400 minutes, and then extends the time before minutes expire, which can rack up. I've been using it for 3 years or so now, and I currently have 1,226 days left before my minutes expire. I've purchased 2 phones in that time, and can roll minutes and phone number over to the new one.

I use it just for talking (basic flip phone), and occasionally texting (When I am forced to). Coverage seems better than the major plans. (Based on the phones everyone else in our family has, and the trouble theyve had when we've been out and about). I think because tracfone 'rents' everyone elses towers, they get signals pretty much everywhere.

My wife uses the phone more than I, and she is using straighttalk basic plan at $32/month. signal seems to be about the same as my tracfone.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county

So i dont have long before i can ditch Sprint, tired of the degradation of my signal.

And i had ATT before that but they are one of the most expensive on plans.

My question is...i looked into Straight talk, it asks for a zip code for where the phone will be used.
    Does it cost extra minutes for going out of that zip code or are you good all over the U.S.A. ?

My daughter will be moving in with me and she visits her mom in wisconsin, so i want her to be able to use it where ever.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So i dont have long before i can ditch Sprint, tired of the degradation of my signal.

And i had ATT before that but they are one of the most expensive on plans.

My question is...i looked into Straight talk, it asks for a zip code for where the phone will be used.
    Does it cost extra minutes for going out of that zip code or are you good all over the U.S.A. ?

My daughter will be moving in with me and she visits her mom in wisconsin, so i want her to be able to use it where ever.

Tracfone also asks for zip code. I think its because they have different specials and/or different phones available for different areas. The phone used seems to dictate which network provides the coverage. If the company offers the same phones in both zip codes, you should be fine.

Doug

Top Bottom