Let's talk about scales for a moment or two...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    BLUF: I want a scale that:
    1. DOES NOT auto-shut off
    2. No requirement for trickling
    3. 0.1 grain resolution minimum (.05 grain preferred)
    4. Cost is $250 or less

Long version:
    I am currently using a FA DS-750. It works fairly well, but I cannot stand the fact that it automatically shuts off after a few minutes. This is very irritating when working up a new load.
    Plugging into a 110 outlet is fine. No exceptions on this unless auto-shut can be disabled.

I am not doing any PRS loading and do not care if the scale has a trickle function. If it does trickle as well, that's OK, I just don't have that as a requirement.

To verify the charge weights, I am dumping 10x and taking the average. I do this because 10.6 grains and 10.9 grains are not the same....yet the scale will always round up to 11.0. Hence the reason I would like better resolution. (Many of the scales on Amazon advertise ".01 resolution," but that is in grams...not grains.)

Cost is lowest factor for me. That said, I also do not want to spend $1100 on a precision lab scale.

Please give me some ideas or tell me what you are using and why.

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    That’s a tall order of requirements, friend. Good isn’t cheap, cheap isn’t fast and fast isn’t good, right? Something like that.

See if you can find a used RCBS Chargemaster. That will give you the always on, 0.1gn accuracy and will run you around $250-$300.

FA makes one as do other companies but I have no experience or opinion on them. Chargemaster is the OG and best for the price in my experience.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My main scale is a RCBS 10-10 if I ever came across one of the Ohaus / RCBS triple beams at a reasonable price I would buy that.
    I have two Dillon Eliminator scales, an old one and one that was bought last year when I send another 20 yr old one back and I got the new one for 80 bucks.
    It works and I believe its within the specs that you are looking for.
    I'm of the understanding that using the wall plug it will not auto shut off.
    $150.00 and it will work with Dillons trickler.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have a Dillion scale. It works fine. Mine is probably for sale, if you’d like it.

This is more money but a lot of scale for the money.

Over the decades, I went from a beam scale to an Autotrickler V4/AD fx120i. It was worth every penny.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I have a Dillion scale. It works fine. Mine is probably for sale, if you’d like it.

Over the decades, I went from a beam scale to an Autotrickler V4/AD fx120i. It was worth every penny.
    The TRX is an awesome scale. Great suggestion and perfect for the OP.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County

Thank you. The TRX-925 is one I found late last night. I like the fact that it is NOT converting from grams to grains, yet measures directly in grains. Some great reviews on this one.

Now to wait for a sale or a coupon code!

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

I still use a Lee beam scale and a hand powered trickler. Kinda like the zen. If I shot more, well, I might invest. Little brother loads 9mm fast enough on his Hornady Lock-n Load that I don't need to.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    My main scale is a RCBS 10-10 if I ever came across one of the Ohaus / RCBS triple beams at a reasonable price I would buy that.
    I have two Dillon Eliminator scales, an old one and one that was bought last year when I send another 20 yr old one back and I got the new one for 80 bucks.
    It works and I believe its within the specs that you are looking for.
    I'm of the understanding that using the wall plug it will not auto shut off.
    $150.00 and it will work with Dillons trickler.

Dillon doesn't make digital scales, only carry 1 year warranty. I found out after mine had a malfunction. I was told to contact CED for repair but after 4 months, I got an replay telling me it was non-serviceable.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Dillon doesn't make digital scales, only carry 1 year warranty. I found out after mine had a malfunction. I was told to contact CED for repair but after 4 months, I got an replay telling me it was non-serviceable.
    Well, Dillon has taken care of the customers that bought digital scales 20 plus years ago when they fail. It was simple, call Dillon, give them my customer number and they sent me a return number to put on the scale and put it in the mail to them with a check for 80 bucks. I thought 80 bucks was a better deal than $149.00 for another one.
    Two weeks later a new one showed up on my front porch. Dillon has always been fair and good to me in our 40+ year relationship.

You mean companies rebrand products for resale??? Who knew.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013

All electrical/electronic components of Dillon Precision equipment are covered by a one-year warranty from the date of purchase

Mine was out of warranty, I paid for the postage shipping it to CED instructed by Dillon.

It's not the same old Dillon any more.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Mine was out of warranty, I paid for the postage shipping it to CED instructed by Dillon.

It's not the same old Dillon any more.
    I just did it last year, I've always been treated well by Dillon over the years from when Mike used to help with the phones, to seeing Mike at The Creek to being treated just as good after Mikes death.
    I'm getting ready to buy another machine from Dillon, a RL1100 trimmer and a few conversions to upgrade my RL1000 machine.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I still use a Lee beam scale
    I have one also. I use it to test out my digital scales from time to time to make sure they are still on.
    Nothing wrong with the old Lee beam scale. I trusted mine for years. Finally decided to try a digital scale to save time.
    But its good to have a beam scale to test digital scales.
    If you every lose power or run out of batteries the beam scale will still work just fine.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    I load precision rifle, so I bought a A&D FX120I which cost $580 or there abouts as of this post. Reasons it reads to .02 of a grain, it uses Magnetic Force Restoration vs Load Cell Scale. Load cells use a chip that tries to keep the scale at zero. Load cells like to have the weight placed on them all at once, not so with MFR scales.
    • Magnetic Force Restoration scales are typically the go-to option for people who need extremely accurate weight readings. MFR scales are considered to be the most accurate of industrial-grade scales, but they are usually only made to accommodate maximum capacities of 50 pounds or less.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    My 2 cents for what its worth... I tried 3 different scales before I found a consistent one. All were around the same price point and of similar build. Pocket style battery operated.

Guess its luck of the draw with that kinda stuff.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    Beam scales need to be kept clean so the jewel bearings can't have dust on them. Most needed is a accurate check weight package allowing you to verify the scale real world. Other things I've seen is the amount of powder granules it takes to move or not move a balance beam vs a good electronic scale.

Top Bottom