• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I enjoyed reading the dumb gun stories so much I thought I would start a thread on hearing about general stories about shooting, hunting, etc. I have a bunch but one of the funniest is when my brother, army ranger, etc. and I were out duck hunting and he mistakenly shot one of my decoys. Still rib him about that one. "He shot my decoy"..lololol.

I was concentrating on a squirrel up in a tree while sitting against it when a deer snuck up behind me and bleated in my ear. I did a sitting high jump.

Fell asleep against a tree and woke up to the sound of a family of raccoons coming down on top of my head.

Had a hawk land on a limb next to my head. I looked at him, he looked at me. He could not care less and stayed for about 5 minutes before descending on a chipmunk. What a moment.

In full camouflage I had three dear come up to me trying to figure out what I was. The lead doe came up to me. I liened over and looked her in the eye. I could tell the moment she realized what I was. her eyes said @%@$%$%$. She did not run. She slowly backed up between the other two and slowly left leaving the other two standing looking at me. LOLOLOl. Smart deer.

Let's hear your stories if anyone has any..lololol

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Two funny squirrel stories

I was hunting squirrels on some property in Greencastle a few years ago. And I took a shot at tree rat with my Marlin 60. I missed the first time, tried it off hand. Tried a follow up shot and nothing happened. Lowered the rifle and the TR was just sitting up there making fun of me, and I saw it react to the first shot. The Marlin had stove piped and and the empty was difficult to remove, had to us my leatherman needle nose to remove it. That took at least a couple of minutes. Looked back up and he was still in the same spot laughing at me. So I leaned against a near by tree an nailed him with the second shot, had to be the worlds dumbest squirrel. A few years be for that my oldest son brought down a tree rat with his 12ga on my brother-in-laws property in Owen Co. My brother-in-laws black lab promptly intercepted. And I spent the next five to ten minutes laughing and rolling on the ground watching my 16 year old son chase the lab trying to get it back. I probably should have tried to help him but it was just to funny. The Lab eventually got tired of the game and dropped it and we retrieved the undamaged squirrel for consumption later. :laugh:

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    A individual asked " If I look down the barrel of this gun, can I see the bullet come out"? I replied yes but you won't be bragging about it.

Two individuals were looking at a rifle on display with a bi-pod installed and one said " Look, This one has a kick stand on it".

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    A friend of mine decided to get some chickens to raise, for meat and eggs, a neighbor of his gave him some roosters, and chickens..the new roosters decided to terrorize the older chickens and roosters. so my friend thought he ought to kill the rooster, he told me to go get his .44 Blackhawk,. he proceeded to shoot at said rooster, six shots all in the ground, the rooster just jumped around a bit, and of course me being the smart aleck I am was shouting "Dance Chicken Dance!!", after a reload and two more rounds he hit it and killed it... as an aside when he got the gun we shot it at 25 yards and he kept flinching and said the gun wouldn't shoot good!.. I had a .44 BH years before and could shoot rather well, I hit all rounds in the target, and he looked at me and said I got lucky!!

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    My senior year of high school my mother bought my dad a German Short hair (which mom had named Coco) for his birthday. He hadn't had a bird dog in years, and with me heading off to college, she felt it would keep him busy and give him something to do. So he water-broke and gun-broke Coco, and put her through the finer steps. Went Pheasant hunting with dad that fall to have some fun and see how Coco was. We took her out out, and she took off tracking, she was quick quiet and careful. I was very very impressed. Then she stops, and she pointing, stone cold rigid at this tall grass. So I look carefully, and I don't see anything, Dad tells her to flush them out, and she goes into the grass, and comes out carrying a Frisbee, proud as can be. I cracked up laughing. The look on her face was just priceless, and my dads too.

We ended up bagging our limit later that day, but that Frisbee is on the wall right next to dads other hunting trophies.

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    i had a friend of mine's wife ask to go squirrel hunting with us.i said ok but you can only shoot male squirrels or youll go to jail.she says how on earth can you tale if they are male's?i say you have to shake the tree till thier nuts rattle.my friend her husband lost it lol.she turned about 3 shades of red not cause she was mad because i suckered her lol.

H&R12G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    Not my story but my Grandma's. Her dad had a couple of Beagles for hunting. Well she had a favorite named Matilda. Well, my Grandma taught it to dance the twist. Mind you Matilda was her dad's best hunting dog. After it learned the twist it never would go hunting again. He tried for weeks and eventually gave up.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Yesterday, I was out setting up my tree stand. I picked a good, thick walnut tree that has signs of deer presence. I got the three strap on ladder sticks set up to where I'm about 10-12 feet in the air. As I'm throwing the strap for my stand around the tree, I'm greeted (unpleasently) by a possum. Said possum was approximately 18" from my face, teeth bared, growling and hissing at me. I pulled my .45 and shot. As I shot, I fell out of the tree. After gathering my wits, I looked up to see the possum in a "pouncing" position. I drew a bead and shot him again. The possum fell out of the tree with a thud. Not sure if it was playing possum (no pun intended), I took a large stick and poked at it a few times, to see if I could get a reaction. No such luck. I didn't take any chances...I went ahead and fired the third round point blank.

Moral of the story: Don't growl at a man carrying a 45.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yesterday, I was out setting up my tree stand. I picked a good, thick walnut tree that has signs of deer presence. I got the three strap on ladder sticks set up to where I'm about 10-12 feet in the air. As I'm throwing the strap for my stand around the tree, I'm greeted (unpleasently) by a possum. Said possum was approximately 18" from my face, teeth bared, growling and hissing at me. I pulled my .45 and shot. As I shot, I fell out of the tree. After gathering my wits, I looked up to see the possum in a "pouncing" position. I drew a bead and shot him again. The possum fell out of the tree with a thud. Not sure if it was playing possum (no pun intended), I took a large stick and poked at it a few times, to see if I could get a reaction. No such luck. I didn't take any chances...I went ahead and fired the third round point blank.

Moral of the story: Don't growl at a man carrying a 45.
    I had a simalar experience with a Possum that got into my garage, this was about 25yrs ago when I was a novice when it came to animal behavior. I found a possum in the bathroom of my garage. I promptly retrived my single six loaded with LR HPs. While returning to dispatch the critter I decided that in those tight quarters shooting it may be not be the best option, for my own saftey. So I did what some one had told me one time to do. And that was just smack it with a broom and it will "play possum" and you'll be able to scoop it up with a shovel and take it wherever you need to. Bad Idea, it just pi$$ed it off, and got really mean. I kept trying to push it out of the bathroom and out the nearby back door. But it kept running back to the corner. I finally blocked his corner,and drew my single six because I felt he was going to attack me, when he finally found the back door and ran. I always thought these possums were docile and would run away. Because about a month earlier, possibly the same possum meandered into my yard walked up between my house and garage climbed up the steps kinda looked around while my brother snd I watched through an open door less than 3ft away. It merely turned around and walked back the way it came. I think that possums must have the worst eyesight in the animal Kingdom because it did not notice my brother and I or the open door. They're ugly overgrown rats too!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    My parents had a possum problem in town, set out box traps and would catch 8 or 10 each summer. Nasty, foul-tempered, smelly creatures... Dad would take them across town to a park, and once in a while when he let them go, one would try to come back on him. Playing possum? Apprently some don't get the memo...

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Was at the in-laws one day and we were all gonna take off and go do something together when I noticed a lot of somber faces. When I asked what was up they said their family cat of more than a decade was hurt. He was hurt all right, he had probaly a 2 by 2 inch and quarter inch deep hole in his midsection and was in real pain. Being as I was the one with no emotional attachment, I got the assassin duty:noway:.

With a Ruger MK1 and ammo that was obviously as old as I was I took the poor guy several 100yrds away and laid some carboard over him so not to mess up my nice clothes I had on. Aiming for what I thought was the head, the first shot barely had enough a$$ to penetrate the cardboard. WTF, so with two more shots I considered the deed done and was gonna let the in-laws bury him.

Went about our day and returned the next day and the BIL said "Your not gonna believe who was on the deck when we got home last night"!!! Thats right, the cat. He left later that night and hasnt been seen since.

Top Bottom