• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    @melensdad
    nah I'll skip that stove. I have a propane stove and also a tri fuel pocket stove but prefer the grill instead, especially for what we were doing.
    And that makes perfect sense. For stationary camping there is no need to go ultra-light and forgo many of the amenities of 'civilization' that backpackers give up.

Its all about what your intended reason for being outdoors is all about.

BACKPACKERS go out to walk and see nature, they "camp" out of necessity and look at "camping" as a place to sleep while they are out walking trails; typically done solo, in pairs or small groups. While CAMPERS typically go out into nature to enjoy nature at a bit more of a distance, they pick their spot, set up and enjoy the "camping experience" which includes sitting around the campfire, talking with others (often large(r) groups of people), etc. The activities center around the "camp" with camping and portability is not essential. The hikers/backpackers activity is the walking/exploring/seeking and therefore the "camp" part of their activities is just a necessity so they can go farther afield.

Neither is right, nor wrong.

Both are very different in focus.

Just depends on what you like doing.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    And that makes perfect sense. For stationary camping there is no need to go ultra-light and forgo many of the amenities of 'civilization' that backpackers give up.

Its all about what your intended reason for being outdoors is all about.

BACKPACKERS go out to walk and see nature, they "camp" out of necessity and look at "camping" as a place to sleep while they are out walking trails; typically done solo, in pairs or small groups. While CAMPERS typically go out into nature to enjoy nature at a bit more of a distance, they pick their spot, set up and enjoy the "camping experience" which includes sitting around the campfire, talking with others (often large(r) groups of people), etc. The activities center around the "camp" with camping and portability is not essential. The hikers/backpackers activity is the walking/exploring/seeking and therefore the "camp" part of their activities is just a necessity so they can go farther afield.

Neither is right, nor wrong.

Both are very different in focus.

Just depends on what you like doing.

:yesway: Well said!

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Also, what about a First Aid Kit?

I had that covered with a large medical kit (back pack). It can not really be judged though from a backpacking perspective since I was providing emergency medical coverage for the entire group ... 25+ people.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I had that covered with a large medical kit (back pack). It can not really be judged though from a backpacking perspective since I was providing emergency medical coverage for the entire group ... 25+ people.

I kind of figured you would have covered that.

BTW I'd be interested in knowing what you think is suitable for 3 to 4 people for about 4 or 5 days of hiking with the understanding that an ambulance is never more than 90 minutes away in case of a serious injury. Basically I'm looking for advice for a typical hiking kit for blisters, cuts, punctures, burns, diarrhea, headaches, aches and pains, etc.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    As we say in the backpacking community ...

the more you know, the less you need ...​

now go back and look at your gear list ...

what does that tell you :p

BUT, all joking aside, what items did you NOT use?

And if you get to do it again, what will you eliminate from your list?

--NOT USED DURING TRIP--
    Sleeping bags we used the emergency blankets I keep in the van and those worked out OK but the medium size one is more for a child than adult. The large size one works just barely for 1 adult.

6g jerry can water cans. We went thru 75% of one but I had 3 with me. Granted I brought 1 for each 'family' (jedi, lone, wd). If it would have been just my family i think I would have been enough.

ligther was not used but then again it's never used with my grill. I bring it as a backup in case the starter on the grill will not work for whatever reason.

Towels medium and small not used. The large ones I wish I had 2 more instead of just the 2. They got soaked up with rain and there was no way to dry them.

Bug lantern I never used it due to the rain. Actually I'm debtaing if I should return the refills since I did not open the box.\

Sunscreen again due to weather no need for it

Food wise we had way too many snacks. :)

What would I do different?
    Well I managed to keep everything in the 2 totes for the most part except for the big gear. My sleeping bags are 13 years old and while they are new (used 3 times) I really wish I could somehow shrink them even more. I've seen at cabela's some bags that packup into a small container. Mine are just too fluffy not sure if they would fit. They are just to bulkly and that was the main reason I did not even bring them out of their bag. Did not like the idea of having to put them back into the bag.

Last edited:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Last time out, we set up late so it was after dark before we ate. We were pooped so we went Mountain House. I rinsed out my boil bottle instead of it giving a thorough washing. I guess I forgot it was new.

Boiled up the water , mixed it in with my Chili Mac and chowed down.

Something in that bottle, coating, solvents from manufacturing, something kicked my ass. I slept for 15 hours straight, was peeing like crazy and had flu like symptoms. Body aches, headache, etc. No stomach issues though. I was wiped out.

Lesson learned: wash the new boil bottles, boil water in them and rinse a couple of times just to be sure.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    --NOT USED DURING TRIP--
    Sleeping bags we used the emergency blankets I keep in the van and those worked out OK but the medium size one is more for a child than adult. The large size one works just barely for 1 adult.

6g jerry can water cans. We went thru 75% of one but I had 3 with me. Granted I brought 1 for each 'family' (jedi, lone, wd). If it would have been just my family i think I would have been enough.

ligther was not used but then again it's never used with my grill. I bring it as a backup in case the starter on the grill will not work for whatever reason.

Towels medium and small not used. The large ones I wish I had 2 more instead of just the 2. They got soaked up with rain and there was no way to dry them.

Bug lantern I never used it due to the rain. Actually I'm debtaing if I should return the refills since I did not open the box.\

Sunscreen again due to weather no need for it

Food wise we had way too many snacks. :)

What would I do different?
    Well I managed to keep everything in the 2 totes for the most part except for the big gear. My sleeping bags are 13 years old and while they are new (used 3 times) I really wish I could somehow shrink them even more. I've seen at cabela's some bags that packup into a small container. Mine are just too fluffy not sure if they would fit. They are just to bulkly and that was the main reason I did not even bring them out of their bag. Did not like the idea of having to put them back into the bag.
    TOWELS: You may want to invest in some "microfiber" towels. They dry really fast and soak up several times their weight in water. Unlike cotton, you can wring them out pretty easily too. Any sporting goods store will probably sell them, amazon.com, etc. You can buy them by weight. I have really thin bigger towels and thicker smaller ones. I use the smaller (washcloth or kitchen towel size) for wiping sweat while hiking, the bigger ones for drying myself.

WATER: Have you considered a filtration/purification system?

SLEEPING BAGS: Compression bags really only work if the filling is compressible.

Last time out, we set up late so it was after dark before we ate. We were pooped so we went Mountain House. I rinsed out my boil bottle instead of it giving a thorough washing. I guess I forgot it was new.

Boiled up the water , mixed it in with my Chili Mac and chowed down.

Something in that bottle, coating, solvents from manufacturing, something kicked my ass. I slept for 15 hours straight, was peeing like crazy and had flu like symptoms. Body aches, headache, etc. No stomach issues though. I was wiped out.

Lesson learned: wash the new boil bottles, boil water in them and rinse a couple of times just to be sure.
    Great warning. We can all learn from that. I bought a new hydration bladder a month ago, have not even cleaned it out yet. You've given me some incentive to go wash it out and test it ... sooner than later!

I'm testing a lot of new gear lately because my wife and I are planning a hike across England for next summer. Honestly I don't know if many people find the thread interesting, or if they just think I'm being anal about posting all sorts of stuff about me testing things like socks (I plan to write up a post about a new headband I'm using and even about some underwear too).

But with all the new technologies out there, some of the simple things have proven to be tried and true, while other things are so often overlooked.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

Just a follow up for you.

Here is the towel I carry, within reach, when hiking. Its made by SEA AND SUMMIT but there are quite a few brands out there that offer similar towels. This is the X-Small size, its about 1' by 2' and this is the thickest model they make, its their TEK towel. They make 3 different weights (thicknesses) of towels. The thinner they are the quicker they dry, but also they less they absorb. A large towel will dry you after a shower, even if you get the thinnest style.

This little towel is used to wipe the sweat from my head, eyes, neck while hiking and I rinse and dry it overnight. It wrings out easily and dries quickly. I like that all their towels have a loop attached at one of the corners and allow you to hook them to a caribiner or belt and will dry while you are walking if allowed to hang off your waist.

image_zps9e7c7561.jpg

For travel or packing, they do come with their own mesh mini-compression sack, which is a nice feature.

image_zps3861e8c6.jpg

I'm not saying the SEA AND SUMMIT brand is the best brand out there, its the one I own. There are lots of similar towels on the market and I can't imagine there is much difference between the brands. There is, however, a difference between the weights of the materials and how much they absorb. So depending on your needs/desires, pick the material weight that will suit you best.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    but do they come in PINK? otherwise no go!

also i did have a water filteration system with me from ??sp?? kadey ??sp?? but it was in my bag and did not want to take it out for just 1 day. it's a smaller hikers version i keep in my 't-star' bag.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Great thread guys, the wife & I are hikers, but are thinking about getting into backpacking. I have picked up several great tips from this thread.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Great thread guys, the wife & I are hikers, but are thinking about getting into backpacking. I have picked up several great tips from this thread.

I used to do some backpacking, but my wife and I have gotten into hiking and daypacking.

(PERSONAL NOTE: when you are in your 50's its not as much fun to sleep on the ground as it used to be so our next trip will have us daypacking from Bed & Breakfast in one town to a B&B in a town farther down the trail . . . hence the term 'daypacking' as we will carry our daily needs, but no tent/sleeping bag).

Top Bottom