• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As many of you know, several citizens have fought back against robbers in Marion Co recently. This has resulted in 2 robbery suspects killed and one injured and apprehended. It also, unfortunately, resulted in one victim being injured. Two of these incidents were on video, which is extremely helpful in determining what worked and what didn't. As I'd vastly prefer the good guys to win and to win without being injured themselves, I'll pass on some observations. Note this is not to criticize anyone. These people were incredibly brave and did the best they could under pressure.

1) Off body carry is bad. The nerds who study this stuff says it takes about .4 seconds for a human to recognize a threat. If you are non-compliant, moving in directions the suspect is telling you not to move, etc. you cost yourself that .4 seconds. That's a lifetime, perhaps literally, in a gun fight. This is a fantastic argument against off body carry of any kind. If you must go to your gun while under the observation of someone willing to do you harm, your chances of prevailing go down.

2) Whoever hits first usually wins. This is why I keep harping on you folks to carry whatever you are fastest with from the holster into the "A" box with, and to not worry so much about capacity, caliber (between the common duty or carry calibers), etc.

3) Most gun fights are still over, one way or the other, within 3-4 rounds. Even in instances were more rounds are fired, and even with more hits, review of the incident shows the fight was actually over in the first few shots. When you are amped up, don't have a clear view of your opponent as they seek cover, etc. you may not realize the fight is over and keep putting rounds down range until YOU realize the fight is over from your limited perspective (as opposed to an overhead camera with no obstruction to see what the bad guy is actually doing). Not one of these fights' outcome would have changed if the good guy had been armed with a 6 shot revolver (and, actually, some of them may have been armed with exactly that)

4) Guns can be disabled, even if they are 100% reliable mechanically prior to the event. Related to #3, if the very first round strikes the base plate of your magazine and dumps your ammo on the ground, do you have a plan? Or are you going to keep pointing and pulling the trigger wondering why you're absorbing rounds but not sending any back down range? I'm sure the trainers on here can tell you that in force on force, people don't always realize their firearm is out of commission and don't do any malfunction drills on it. I've personally watched an experienced leo "shoot" someone with a simunition, have the slide lock back on a FTF, and never notice he's covering the guy with a non-functional firearm. Tunnel vision means you may not note the difference in appearance. Train on malfunction drills to the point you can instantly react to a malfunction (which is something I need to work on, as I've been neglecting it for awhile and this reminder is for me as much as for anyone else) and HAVE A BACKUP SOMETHING...BACKUP gun, BACKUP mag...something to get you back in the fight.

5) If the bad guy knows where you are, get off the "X". You have to move, and you should be training to do so.

6) If you can't set up an ambush, speed matters. A lot. A tenth of a second may mean the difference between getting a shot off or catching a round yourself. Practice at various distances. At near contact, you don't need a sight picture. Learn to fire from a retention position and on the swing up from the holster. Ideally you can unholster and set up prior to the bad guy knowing you are a threat (such as complying until he moves on to the next person and isn't looking at you any longer), but you cannot count on that, so be fast. Being fast requires practice of proper technique and good equipment.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This is one of the better threads I've seen posted in a while. Thanks for some great information to take away.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Sounds just like a Rangemaster Instructor Development course.

BBI, if you could, expand on the movement aspect. How did this show up in the cases you are referencing? What type of movement are you talking about? Controlled, dynamic, to cover, shooting while moving, etc.?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sounds just like a Rangemaster Instructor Development course.

BBI, if you could, expand on the movement aspect. How did this show up in the cases you are referencing? What type of movement are you talking about? Controlled, dynamic, to cover, shooting while moving, etc.?

Keep in mind this is an amalgamation of several incidents. Also, keep in mind I'm a (sorta) cop and you may have to explain things to me. I have no idea what you mean by "controlled" or "dynamic", although the others are pretty self explanatory.

One incident had both people moving to cover while shooting. If the first shot doesn't disable and cover is available AND both people are dedicated to the gun fight (as opposed to fleeing) then this seems to be the next step in the progression of a gunfight.

The other could have benefited from a moving draw. Dropping, lateral, something. When someone has the drop on you and is already paying attention to you, a static draw gives them both the advantage of speed and of already being sighted in. At least make them track you if possible. It might not make a difference, but at least it ups your odds a bit.

When things settle down (as in probably March or so) I'd be willing to walk some instructors through events as they occurred if they wanted to set up realistic scenarios for their own training programs. You can PM me if interested.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Keep in mind this is an amalgamation of several incidents. Also, keep in mind I'm a (sorta) cop and you may have to explain things to me. I have no idea what you mean by "controlled" or "dynamic", although the others are pretty self explanatory.

One incident had both people moving to cover while shooting. If the first shot doesn't disable and cover is available AND both people are dedicated to the gun fight (as opposed to fleeing) then this seems to be the next step in the progression of a gunfight.

The other could have benefited from a moving draw. Dropping, lateral, something. When someone has the drop on you and is already paying attention to you, a static draw gives them both the advantage of speed and of already being sighted in. At least make them track you if possible. It might not make a difference, but at least it ups your odds a bit.

When things settle down (as in probably March or so) I'd be willing to walk some instructors through events as they occurred if they wanted to set up realistic scenarios for their own training programs. You can PM me if interested.

Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Controlled movement- Smooth and steady, no faster than you can aim.

Dynamic- Explode off the X, haul ass, probably point shooting.

(My definitions, there is wiggle room there but you get the idea.)

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    As the situation changes, agreed you need to change. Many Self Defense trainers will advise their best, demo the action, up to you to learn and keep vigilant. Carry. Legally.
    Daily. Carry a "Back Up".

Mind your business, use 911 if you aren't sure what's happening. Don't lose touch being over confident. Get home in one piece, no leaking.
    Good luck.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Seems a good place to mention this (probably covered by all the good tactical places):
    OODA loop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With regard to the scenarios described in the OP, I think the idea is that if Badguy has the drop on you, it will be VERY difficult to get inside his OODA loop. Movement - both his and yours - disrupts both of the OODA loops, but from a survival mode, disrupting his is the important part.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

I'm not an instructor, but I think this would be very interesting.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    BBI,

Thanks for the posts. Very informative. Helped to re-open my eyes on some of the more than basic things that I should keep working on.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Ok, time for me to get serious. I've been carrying for about 20 years, but reading this leaves me feeling inadequate. I'm a good shot at the range, slow and steady, moving, drawing etc, not so much....

Top Bottom