• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    This thread is a response to another fine gentleman who provided some valuable insight into backpacking. I hope you find mine equally as valuable.

This was my first attempt at backpacking. I am 33 years old, about 285, and out of shape. I went with three close friends, one in very good shape and one about like I am. We hiked the lower 6 mile portion of the Spurgeon Hollow KT loop. Some of the hill ascents were down right debilitating and some of the descents were very dangerous. One false step 3 miles in the middle of nowhere can mean serious trouble.

Mistake #1 - Taking too much gear:

We over packed for a one night trip. I would not recommend it. Although some survival gear is necessary, taking the contents of your bug out bag, is not good if you want to remain mobile. I only took a sidearm, part of a medical kit, and some cool weather clothing from my bug out bag. Seeing as how the temp dropped to 37* at night, I thought it was necessary. Bug out Bags are not interchangeable with long distance hiking gear. You will almost assuredly end up with too much crap. IMO, bugging out means being mobile and being able to get somewhere and survive on foot until you get there. Hikers do this very very well. This trip has me completely re-thinking my BOB and my physical condition.

Sleeping Gear:

My sleeping bag is rated to 20* and by all accounts it was phenomenal. My hammock was the best night of sleep I've ever spent outdoors. It has bug netting, but it wasn't really needed as there were no bugs this time of year. Weather indications for the evening showed no rain, but I went ahead and stung up my 8x10' tarp over the hammock. Even though it never rained, it kept hot ash embers from touching my hammock when the fire decided to get crazy. I'd rather have holes in my $2.00 big lots tarp, than in my $60.00 hammock.

If you do hammock camp in cool weather, you need something under your backside. I am fairly immune to cool weather due to my aforementioned size and layers of natural insulation, but your backside will get cold. I ended up getting up in the middle of the night to strategically place two hand warmers under each cheek. It worked well, but I will be looking to buy a very light weight therm-a-rest sometime soon.

Also, big man or not, getting into a sleeping bag inside of a hammock is challenging to say the least. I made three attempts before I figured out a strategy. You put the head of the bag all the way as high as possible up at one end of the hammock and unzip it about halfway with the unzipped flap wide open. Before you flop into the hammock, sit int the side and reach to the opposite side and grasp the open flap of sleeping bag and the opposite side of the hammock. Then you just kind of lay back. When you hit the bottom of the hammock, you should be able to use that flap to manipulate the bag around you and shimmy into your bag. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy and will be the best night sleep you will ever have outdoors.

Water:

Sometimes filtering is NOT an option. If you are hiking on the KT or any trail that does not have water available to filter, you gotta take it with you. Each liter of water is about 2.2 pounds, and we each had about 4 - 10lbs of it and we used it all. Mountain house meals are great and light weight, but each one requires half a liter of water. That light weight MH meal weighs a lot more than you think it does when you factor in the cost of water, especially since it's water you won't get to drink.

Zombie Apocalypse Factor:

You aren't going to survive the zombie apocalypse if you have 30-40lbs of gear on your back, because the last thing you want in your hands is a gun/more weight to carry. Unless you are still in military shape, I got news for most of the overweight prepers out there, you're going to die. You better hope it's the slow swarming type of zombies and not the fast ones, as seen in World War Z. I was also informed that my snoring is a thing of legend and that I'd likely get eaten in my sleep. I think prepers often forget that noise is going to be a factor in keeping your goods and location a secret. This would include loud snoring and anything that sounds like a chainsaw or gas generator.

Starting a fire with wet everything:

We started out on Saturday in the rain, knowing it would stop an hour or two into our hike. We were prepared for this, but not for the difficulties we had starting a fire. Starting a fire is hard when everything is wet. You have to keep things small and work your way up to larger wood. You also need a dry tinder or fuel source that will burn for at least 15 minutes wet or dry. You need to be able to burn enough tiny sticks to allow them to catch fire and burn off the moisture. We went through two UST Wetfire tinder cubes to get our fire going, but once it was roaring, we were able to put a completely soaked log on the fire and it would burn eventually. If your tinder can't handle 15 minutes of flame, you might want to re-think your gear. I do like the Wetfire cubes and they do work great, but I am still open to other solutions as well, namely those that may not cost as much and ones which I can make at home.

Too much clothing and wet clothing:

I took too much clothing. The city boy in my wanted to have clean dry clothes each day. Ideally, all you need is enough clothes to always stay dry. That means, two pair of socks, one pair of pants for hiking, and one pair of light weight evening pants for sleeping that can double for wearing under your other pants to stay warm. Where I went wrong was bringing a sweatshirt and like 4 pairs of socks.

You can dry clothes out over night. Hikers often dry wet socks on their bellies in their sleeping bags. It won't win you any hygiene awards with your fellow hikers, but your feet won't rot off while on the trail. I really enjoyed having a fresh dry T-shirt to slip into when we stopped for the night.

The sweatshirt was a bit much, when I could have used my shell jacket instead. We dried our shoes by the fire, but were careful to mind them and not let the rubber bits get melted. I would also highly recommend light weight flip flops for camp site. At the end of the day, nothing feels better than taking off your boots and letting your feet air out in a fresh pair of socks. Keep in mind it was 40 degrees when we camped and dropped to 37 when it got dark. Socks with flip flops is not good for fashion, but keep your feet warm and dry.

Backpacking survival gear:

This is where I went horribly wrong. I took a subset of a crazy amount of gear from my BOB that I never used. It would have saved me like 4lbs if I had left this crap at home. I won't go into details, but if you have good hiking gear, you don't need all the extreme survivalist stuff that I had with me. You should be able to start a fire, filter water, hold water, cut things, shop small amounts of wood, and bring your food with you. Hikers pack for a journey, not a destination. Although planning measures are taken, you won't need the kitchen sink, so don't bring it. Most BOBs are good for only 3 days, but almost everyone (including myself) pack them to survive in the woods for a lifetime.

That said, I'd now pack a water filter, camelbak, small water container, fire starting stuffs, hatchet, pocket knife, an LED headlamp, space blanket, 550 cord, and call it a day.

Medical and First Aid:

I have a huge army trauma kit in my BOB currently. I was thankfully wise enough to only bring a subset of it's contents. Mostly I carried foot-care products, basic anti-bacterial cream, purel, bandaids, a needle, foot powder, thread, tape, ace wrap, and military splint board. It all fits into a 10"x5" pouch and is pretty light. It can be used for a number of injuries and I think it worked out well, even though we never needed it. It's lightweight insurance.

Lighting:

LED HEADLAMPS! nuff said.... You don't need anything else. They run for like 96 hours on low settings with 3 AAA batteries and are plenty bright for anything you need to do in the dark. I got mine at walmart for like $6.90. You don't need a sure fire.

Packing:

I see a lot of people with BOBS with crap just thrown into compartments willy nilly. Organize it! your local Walmart will have small pouches for sale in the travel section. Buy them. Try to create little kits within your kit. Have a medical pouch, a survival pouch, and a toiletries/hygiene pouch. Keep your clothing in a dry sack in your bag. When you dig through your bag to get something you can just pull out pouches till you get the right one. It makes life so much easier and allows you to get to the things you want a lot faster. You see hikers do this a lot, and for good reason. Keep things you are likely to use a lot close and easily accessible. Keep bug wipes in your waist belt pouch, keep cooking and eating gear together, and so on... Just pack smart. It saves time, and on the trail, time is energy.

Cooking:

My little $8.00 pocket stove I got from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U8CP88/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is freaking amazing! $4.00 worth of coleman isobutane/propane lasts a LONG time. I'd guess one can could easily last 2-3 days, cooking 3 meals each day. Boils 2 cups water in like 2mins. Love it! And man is it tiny.

Wrap-up:

All in all we had a great time. I'm in a minor amount of pain today, but that's just due to me being extremely out of shape. We did 6 miles of rough terrain in both cold and wet conditions. It was a good way to test our character and get out in the great outdoors. I learned a lot about my gear and my limitations. If you are a practical prepper/survivalist I highly suggest you get off the couch and try out your stuff. You would be amazed at what you learn. I know I learned a lot. We are all looking forward to our next adventure utilizing our lessons learned. I would highly recommend the KT to anyone. It's rough, but anyone can do it. Life is not a race, just enjoy it, we all get to the finish line too soon as it is.

I hope you find this informative or insightful. I like to thank the members on this forum who continue to provide me with a wealth of information and support. This is a fantastic community!

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Good for you and getting out and trying it. Way, way too many people have absolutely no idea what it takes to hike any distance and as you say, most would be in serious trouble if they have to. I am ALWAYS amused at what people think are essential items, 90% of which I have NEVER felt the need for in several thousand miles of hiking/backpacking, and the other 10% usually falls into the category of "it would be nice but not necessary." But I have found that usually you can't tell someone that in advance.

Just because someone hikes 50# of gear a mile to deer camp in no way prepares them for serious hiking where covering ground is a necessity. And covering ground with a good amount of weight is even harder. I know I can hike with 40-50# of pack 15-20 miles a day on trails/roads because I have done it numerous times. I know I can hike 25 miles a day with 30# with no real effort, again because I have done it. I also know that if I have to bushwhack and route-find that distance can fall to less than 10 miles a day. I also know that what I could do in a day is much different than what I can sustain over time. I have hiked 37 miles in one day but could not have done that the second day.

Get out and hike again. Even if it is just a day-hike, try to cover a significant distance and use your gear. You have enough excess weight that you can lose the weight of your pack and in the process of getting in better shape your overall health will improve and you'll be sick less often, which is the key to being a good survivalist/prepper.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    I completely agree. No one could have told me anything I'd have listened to unless I learned the hard way. (the story of my life)

I plan on getting out more and ditching about 10-15lbs off my pack. I'd wager to guess I was hauling about 40lbs the first day. The second was probably about 35, since we ate and drank some weight that night.

I forgot to mention how nice it was to have a small flask of good scotch with me. It didn't weigh much and wasn't enough to make me get stupid or feel bad the next morning. 15 year Glenfiddich was just what the doctor ordered at the end of the day. Definitely worth making room in the pack for.

iauffenberg

Marksman
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Brownstown
    spurgeon hollow is a good place to start hiking compared to other sections of the trail i usually hike sections of the trail 3 or more times a week and packing to much gear was a problem for me but you soon find what you need and do not need very fast and will get used to hiking pretty fast

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Like Shibumi said, it's better that you got out and tried it now instead of coming to that realization when it really matters.

I think nearly everyone who starts without much input from an experienced hiker goes through what you did. I know I certainly have carried plenty of stuff that never saw the light of day and still do from time to time. On my last long trip with my son, I carried a tarp that we never used. In hindsight, I have no idea why. I just decided to pack it.

One tip on your sleeping bag in the hammock. Carry a piece of closed cell foam to lay on. Unzip your mummy bag 3/4 of the way and use it like a quilt. You can tuck the edges under and be plenty warm without having to fight it. If you're laying in the bag, it offers no appreciable insulation under you because the weight of your body compresses it.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    A good, cheap fire starter is paper ketchup cups (from a fast food place) filled most of the way with paraffin. Used to use these to warm up canned food while caving. If kept dry they will provide long-lasting low-level flame to get the small sticks going.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I just wanted to point out to anyone reading to remember that the advice offered is for backpacking a single day without a large variation of weather change. Change some of those circumstances and of course the gear needed would be different. A piece of advice from me is to have clean clothes to sleep in that are dedicated to that. Sure they take up more space but if you spend a prolonged time sleeping in dirty clothes, you're going to soil and eventually ruin your sleeping bag. Also I've found clean clothes to be more of a morale booster than most things in the field especially when paired with a baby wipe bath.

Use those hand warmers to dry your socks and boots, not warm your a**. Do as stated and sleep on a sleeping pad in your hammock because your bodyweight compresses the loft beneath you taking away the insulation you had. On getting into a sleeping bag in a hammock, you can also sit on the hammock, slide the bag up your legs, stand up for a second to get it over your waist then sit and turn into the hammock, but only depending on the ground. You can do the same without standing once you figure it out but it requires a bit of a shimmy to get the bag above your butt/hips. I wish there was a better way to explain as I had the same problem my first night in a hammock.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    I forgot to mention that I found an alternate use for my pack's rain cover. I used it as a seat and as a place to hop onto when I got out of the hammock. I kept my flip flops on the edge of it just like you would your home's door mat in the entry way. I also used it to throw over a wet log to keep my biscuits from getting wet when I sat. It worked well.

What do hikers do for chairs? Logs are hard and the ground was really soft and squishy. I would have killed for a folding camp chair with a cold beer in the cup holders.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Well done Enkrypter. I have posted on this in the past, and I believe the proper bug out bag for ON FOOT should resemble and ultralight backpacker's bag with some ammo added. You need to move quickly and quietly to wherever you are going and still be fresh enough to be alert and make good decisions.

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I love backpacking. I remember the first serious trip I did was like, a real eye opener, but the more you go the better you'll get. It definitely helps to workout those legs and cardiovascular a little so you don't die out there. Don't forget that flask, its makes sleeping on the ground a lot easier.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    One reason I'm switching to a hammock instead of a tent for solo trips is so I have a place to sit. I find just sitting sideways in the hammock pretty comfy. Besides closed cell foam/Thermarest you could also buy a roll of Reflectix (reflective bubble wrap used for building insulation) from Home Depot. There are many small companies (cottage vendors) that awesome hammock specific stuff. I have a top quilt instead of a sleeping bag that I use for both hammock and tent. I'll be ordering a bottom quilt very soon also.
    Thanks for the write up. Check out hammockforums.net for a ton of info.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    I got a relex type thermal blanket in my cart on amazon right now. Should keep the breezes out and keep the biscuits warm on chilly nights. I'm looking at those Thermarest tech blankets to use for the summer season.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Hiking and backpacking are two different sports and require different gear. Try not to get the two confused and you'll do better. Your little gas stove is wonderful when the temps are above freezing...much below 32 F and you can have a hard time getting the gas to flow with butane. Propane will almost quit flowing at about -25F. Hammocks are great to sleep in but remember, with virtually no insulation under your body, you will cool off by convection very quickly in temperatures as high as even 40F . Know the warning signs of hypothermia if you are going to stay with the hammock in cold weather. Not a lot of backpackers around here in the dead of winter so you won't have to worry about much of that....but if you go out in arctic conditions, be ready for it.

There are three ways to lose body heat. Keeping them in mind will help you be much more aware of what you are or could be doing to keep your body warm.

RADIATION - The emission of body, especially from the skin areas exposed to the elements. A good set of gloves, hat, and scarf can help best in keeping bare skin to a minimum.

CONDUCTION - The absorption of cold by the body when sitting or laying on cold ground, or handling cold objects such as metal cooking utensils and metal canteens. This is why a decent sleeping pad is required for cold weather camping. The same goes for wearing gloves. A camp stool is a must on a winter camping trip. Try not to sit on the ground.

CONVECTION - The loss of body heat due to wind blowing across unprotected body parts. This situation can also be reduced by keeping bare skin covered with hats, scarves, and gloves. It is important to keep exposure to a minimum, ESPECIALLY in a windy situation. Convection heat loss can reduce body heat the fastest. Wet clothing will accelerate this process, making staying dry even more important.

Also, never should you sleep in the same clothes that you have worn all day. They are damp and will cause you to chill. This could cause frostbite and hypothermia. It is advised that you bring a thick pair of non-cotton sweats and thermal underwear to sleep in. Keep the thermals and sweats for sleeping in only. Do not wear them during the day, this will keep them the driest.

Also be sure to have a couple of layers of wool or heavy thick cotton socks on as well. Always sleep with a stocking hat on your head. Your sleeping bag needs to be a winter rated bag. Typically rated down to 15 degrees and stuffed with 5 pounds of Holofil, Fiberfil, or other polyester ticking. It is also a very good idea to have some kind of sleeping mat to use in the winter. The mat can be a $90 Thermal Rest or a piece of high density rubber foam at least one inch thick. In cold weather camping you never want to sleep on an air mattress or off the ground in a cot or hammock. The air under you will cool you off in no time and this would create a threatening situation. If you don't have a sleeping mat, bring a spare wool or natural fiber blanket to use as a ground pad under your sleeping bag. The sleeping mat is worth it's weight in gold.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Hiking and backpacking are two different sports and require different gear. Try not to get the two confused and you'll do better. Your little gas stove is wonderful when the temps are above freezing...much below 32 F and you can have a hard time getting the gas to flow with butane. Propane will almost quit flowing at about -25F. Hammocks are great to sleep in but remember, with virtually no insulation under your body, you will cool off by convection very quickly in temperatures as high as even 40F . Know the warning signs of hypothermia if you are going to stay with the hammock in cold weather. Not a lot of backpackers around here in the dead of winter so you won't have to worry about much of that....but if you go out in arctic conditions, be ready for it.

There are three ways to lose body heat. Keeping them in mind will help you be much more aware of what you are or could be doing to keep your body warm.

RADIATION - The emission of body, especially from the skin areas exposed to the elements. A good set of gloves, hat, and scarf can help best in keeping bare skin to a minimum.

CONDUCTION - The absorption of cold by the body when sitting or laying on cold ground, or handling cold objects such as metal cooking utensils and metal canteens. This is why a decent sleeping pad is required for cold weather camping. The same goes for wearing gloves. A camp stool is a must on a winter camping trip. Try not to sit on the ground.

CONVECTION - The loss of body heat due to wind blowing across unprotected body parts. This situation can also be reduced by keeping bare skin covered with hats, scarves, and gloves. It is important to keep exposure to a minimum, ESPECIALLY in a windy situation. Convection heat loss can reduce body heat the fastest. Wet clothing will accelerate this process, making staying dry even more important.

Also, never should you sleep in the same clothes that you have worn all day. They are damp and will cause you to chill. This could cause frostbite and hypothermia. It is advised that you bring a thick pair of non-cotton sweats and thermal underwear to sleep in. Keep the thermals and sweats for sleeping in only. Do not wear them during the day, this will keep them the driest.

Also be sure to have a couple of layers of wool or heavy thick cotton socks on as well. Always sleep with a stocking hat on your head. Your sleeping bag needs to be a winter rated bag. Typically rated down to 15 degrees and stuffed with 5 pounds of Holofil, Fiberfil, or other polyester ticking. It is also a very good idea to have some kind of sleeping mat to use in the winter. The mat can be a $90 Thermal Rest or a piece of high density rubber foam at least one inch thick. In cold weather camping you never want to sleep on an air mattress or off the ground in a cot or hammock. The air under you will cool you off in no time and this would create a threatening situation. If you don't have a sleeping mat, bring a spare wool or natural fiber blanket to use as a ground pad under your sleeping bag. The sleeping mat is worth it's weight in gold.

While I agree with most of what you said there are almost always exceptions. Sleeping ONLY on an air mattress can be bad, but if you double up on pads (Foam pad beneath air) air is fine. Sleeping on a raised platform can also be done in the cold without problems, you just have to be properly insulated beneath your platform at all times. In more mild weather in a hammock, you can use a foam sleeping pad beneath your bag in a hammock. For colder weather you'll need a reflective pad. In very cold weather, an undercover is necessary in a hammock and I personally know a few people who have slept in their fully insulated Hennesy hammocks in temperatures below zero.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    My family and I just camped a few nights in the Smokeys and I was warm and toasty on my air mattress covered with my 40 degree Enlightened Equipment quilt in only shorts and t-shirt in temps down to the low 30's a couple nights. Now my Thermarest ExTherm is not your average air mattress.
    And yes many people sleep very comfy in hammocks and very cold temps.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Coldest I have ever slept outdoors is -7 F, we had about 10 inches of snow on the ground and a mild breeze, so I piled up some snow, set my tent on top of it. Inside I laid down my wool blanket for "carpeting" and put my 30 degree bag inside my 20 degree bag, and wore my woolies to bed. Slept with a full face mask, good gloves, and a wool sock hat. Never got cold, slept like a baby. Always take a pee bottle to bed with you unless you like undoing all that stuff and going outside.

Top Bottom