• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Just like the title says what is the best LEO back up gun? Has anyone had experience with the glock 26? I am also looking at the springfield armory XD sub-compact series too. I currently have a compact XD .45 but I am afraid it is to big for a back up. Also have a colt government model .380 that is pretty small but the small size of the bullet is of concern to me. What would you guys recommend? Just for your info I am not a cop, yet. But I am currently in a hiring process to become an LEO.

Thanks

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    The current issue of S.W.A.T. Magazine has a very good article on this subject.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    The current issue of S.W.A.T. Magazine had a very article on this subject.

Well that was very helpful.

The correct answer is a subcompact in whatever make and caliber your issued duty weapon is. With most firearms manufacturers, you can use the regular size mags in a subcompact model's magwell, so you can use your primary duty weapon's ammunition in your backup were the primary to be rendered inoperable or stolen away from you. Wouldn't it suck to get into a firefight with just your backup, and only have one mag/cylinder of ammunition for it? You're already carrying enough gear on your duty belt, adding even more magazines that are not for your duty weapon isn't the answer.

For example, if you carry a Glock 22, your backup should be a Glock 27. Carry a Glock 19...get a Glock 26. This kind of setup is easiest to accomplish with Glocks, though it works with other manufacturers as well. Don't forget to put on night sights like Meprolights, the standard Glock ones are atrocious. What will be your issue duty weapon?

Any modern defensive load in 9mm, .40, or .45 will be adequate for defensive purposes. .380 is a bit on the small size for a defensive round, but there are some good loads available for it, and would carry a .380 in more formal occasions if I had one.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008

The correct answer is a subcompact in whatever make and caliber your issued duty weapon is. With most firearms manufacturers, you can use the regular size mags in a subcompact model's magwell, so you can use your primary duty weapon's ammunition in your backup were the primary to be rendered inoperable or stolen away from you. Wouldn't it suck to get into a firefight with just your backup, and only have one mag/cylinder of ammunition for it? You're already carrying enough gear on your duty belt, adding even more magazines that are not for your duty weapon isn't the answer.

For example, if you carry a Glock 22, your backup should be a Glock 27. Carry a Glock 19...get a Glock 26. This kind of setup is easiest to accomplish with Glocks, though it works with other manufacturers as well. Don't forget to put on night sights like Meprolights, the standard Glock ones are atrocious. What will be your issue duty weapon?

Any modern defensive load in 9mm, .40, or .45 will be adequate for defensive purposes. .380 is a bit on the small size for a defensive round, but there are some good loads available for it, and would carry a .380 in more formal occasions if I had one.

Very helpful post. I have read a lot about the Glock 26 and 27 and depending on the issued model( I am sure it is a Glock, not sure about model though) I think that the glock 26 and 27 would probably be best for me. Also having a back up that uses the same magazines as the primary would be beneficial. Carrying options: I have read about B.U.G.(Back Up Gun) pocket vest holster/pouch. I am not sure if anyone is familiar with these but it seems there could be an issue with getting to your back up in a hurry? Also I have heard bad things about ankle holsters in a scuffle with the perp reaching for it. What is recommended as a carrying method? I have researched this but it seems there is info leading both ways.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

IMO, a very good answer :thumbsup:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

I followed that same school of thought for a while, then I stopped. I carried a S&W model 36 hardchromed and loaded with +p CorBon ammunition. There are lots of factors that make you go hmmm when choosing a BUG and the magazine interchangeability was very logical to me. I found out after a while that the Glocks were too awkward for me to carry, and I preferred the utter reliability of a wheel gun. I carried it in a nylon thumb-break holster on the side of my vest, velcro'd to the straps most of the time. In the winter months, when clothing was layered, I used the ankle rig. You should also consider what kind of action you are likely to encounter in your department. If I were going to work for a big department like Metro, then I would probably break down and go with the Glock. More is better in areas where you are more likely to get into a bad situation. In my case, a very small town, I felt adequately armed with my .38 as a BUG. Eventually I was armed with my Colt King Cobra as a primary and my M36 as a BUG. I have taken quite a bit of flak for carrying a wheel gun, or 2, but I know how to use them, and I feel comfortable with them. Now, If I were to start-up again with Metro, I would definitely be carrying dueling Glocks. Keep in mind that this is JMHO, and YMMV and so on....

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you can find a means to carry it which offers easy access, concealability and comfort, going with a G26 or G27 is a great idea if you're primary is a G17/19/22/23. If not a S&W J frame is a great choice also. I use a G22 as my primary and own a G23 & G27 but I've never carried them as my backup gun. I've carried a S&W 342 in a Galco Ankle Glove for years and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    My duty gun is a G22, my BUG (right now) is a Kel-Tec .380 in my left front pants pocket.

If I burn through the 46 rounds I have for my G22, I'm pretty well fuct anyway, so another Glock won't make much of a difference.

When I worked in a gunshop, my primary was a 1911, Kel-Tec in the pocket, J-frame on my ankle.

A G26/27 in an ankle rig is a chunk to get used to. J-frame seems a lot easier to me.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I've thought about an HK P2000 SK in 9mm in an Ankle rig. It's almost the same size as the micro Glocks. maybe 3/8" longer grip, but same length and width.

For me, most importantly, the controls are the same as my USP, with the exception of the decocking lever being on the back of the slide. I do think there's something to be said for practicing with your backup as much as your primary weapon. It will get used less frequently, but needs to be something you're equally proficient with.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I carry a 22 on duty and my back-up is a 27. My second off-duty is a 23C. All my spare mags are 15rd 22 mags. That way if the SHTF and I start grabbing mags I do not have to look at what I'm grabbing. The 15 rd with fit in all 3 guns. No fine motor skills involved.

sheepdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Pocket vest holster

I used the pocket vest holster for the past 4yrs and it works great and is easily accessible depending on the type of uniform. In my class A the shirt zips in front, so i would leave it unzipped about 4inches and could easily draw my back up. My department has allowed us to wear pullovers in the winter and polo shirts in the summer, so i switched to the ankle holster. I was carrying an xd subcompact with the vest holster, but now carry my Kahr pm9 in the ankle holster. You cant go wrong either way as long as you can get to your gun quickly when its needed, so practice drawing your weapon however it is set up.

Sheepdog

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I carried a 642 in an ankle holster for 12 years. Its only practical use was to have a gun in my hand if someone approached the car while I was sitting in it. I never had a scenario where it would done me any other good, unless I was down on the ground already for whatever BAD reason. Can you imagine leaning/squatting down to get a ankle gun while taking fire?

I used to love winter and jackets because I could always carry another J frame or a S&W 3913 in a jacket pocket and almost always have it in my hand.

I always considered my true BUG to be the 442 that I always carried in my left front pants pocket (I'm right handed). That is the gun I would go to if I was losing the retention of my "primary". One shot in the throat or forehead pretty much stops the disarmament attempt..

You see, my concept of a BUG is not necessarily a gun that you go to when the "primary" is empty or out of commission, but to have a discrete gun in hand that is not expected by those who would try to harm you or ambush you. Not to say that I didn't have the "Primary" openly in hand too when needed, or better yet a Rem 870.

As you know, you will only be able to carry those BUG's approved by the department and you will probably have to qualify with them as well.

My advice: don't spend any money on guns until you get to the Academy and discuss the issue with the tactically minded instructors that are there. You will find what works best for you with their help.

My best to you, sir

Last edited:

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    I carried a 642 in an ankle holster for 12 years. Its only practical use was to have a gun in my hand if someone approached the car while I was sitting in it. I never had a scenario where it would done me any other good, unless I was down on the ground already for whatever BAD reason. Can you imagine leaning/squatting down to get a ankle gun while taking fire?

I used to love winter and jackets because I could always carry another J frame or a S&W 3913 in a jacket pocket and almost always have it in my hand.

I always considered my true BUG to be the 442 that I always carried in my left front pants pocket (I'm right handed). That is the gun I would go to if I was losing the retention of my "primary". One shot in the throat or forehead pretty much stops the disarmament attempt..

You see, my concept of a BUG is not necessarily a gun that you go to when the "primary" is empty or out of commission, but to have a discrete gun in hand that is not expected by those who would try to harm you or ambush you. Not to say that I didn't have the "Primary" openly in hand too when needed, or better yet a Rem 870.

As you know, you will only be able to carry those BUG's approved by the department and you will probably have to qualify with them as well.

My advice: don't spend any money on guns until you get to the Academy and discuss the issue with the tactically minded instructors that are there. You will find what works best for you with their help.

My best to you, sir

Thank you, I found out today that i was not selected to continue on into the academy. So I still have some time to think about this issue. Thanks for all the helpful input.

Top Bottom