• ...and so much more!
  • infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Need a little help here

I've been looking around but have not found a solid answer anywhere. Ok, here's the situation. I'm 19 years old and have a LTCH. I can legally buy a handgun off of an individual, but not a dealer. Can I legally sell a handgun? To a person? To a dealer? Tryin to get my ducks in a row before the 1500.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Need a little help here

I've been looking around but have not found a solid answer anywhere. Ok, here's the situation. I'm 19 years old and have a LTCH. I can legally buy a handgun off of an individual, but not a dealer. Can I legally sell a handgun? To a person? To a dealer? Tryin to get my ducks in a row before the 1500.

You can buy a handgun/rifle/shotgun from ANYONE FTF but you can not purchase a handgun from a FFL. You can sell a handgun/rifle/shotgun to ANYONE FTF as long as you make a reasonable attempt to determine that the person is not an "excluded person" As for selling a handgun to a FFL, I am not sure on that one.

INGunGuy

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    My thought is that if you have a IN Drivers license and a IN LTCH then a FTF sale is ok.

There is no requirement to get a person's LTCH or DL just because you want to sell them a handgun. I am not saying it isnt the prudent thing to do, but legally speaking, there is no requirement to gather that kind of information.

INGunGuy

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    There is no requirement to get a person's LTCH or DL just because you want to sell them a handgun. I am not saying it isnt the prudent thing to do, but legally speaking, there is no requirement to gather that kind of information.

INGunGuy

Rightly so. I was thinking he can prove his Indiana residency with the DL, and can carry the firearm in public to the 1500 as long as he has a LTCH.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Rightly so. I was thinking he can prove his Indiana residency with the DL, and can carry the firearm in public to the 1500 as long as he has a LTCH.

Yes, you are correct, but again, since there is no requirement to gather any information from a person you are selling a firearm to, then the DL and LTCH are moot for the sale. Now I will agree that it is prudent to get that information.

INGunGuy

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Yes, you are correct, but again, since there is no requirement to gather any information from a person you are selling a firearm to, then the DL and LTCH are moot for the sale. Now I will agree that it is prudent to get that information.

INGunGuy

Correct, but getting caught and doing something illegal are two different things. If he didn't have an IN DL, it'd be hard to prove he's an IN resident, and since a FTF between non-residents would be a violation of federal law, it's just good to establish with him that he needs to be an IN resident

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Correct, but getting caught and doing something illegal are two different things. If he didn't have an IN DL, it'd be hard to prove he's an IN resident, and since a FTF between non-residents would be a violation of federal law, it's just good to establish with him that he needs to be an IN resident

Correct, about getting caught and doing something illegal, but since there is no federal law requiring the gathering of any information for a FTF sale, then it doesnt matter. I know it is against the law to sell to another person not living in my state, but if there is no requirement to gather any personally identifiable information, then again it is a moot point. I will wholehardedly agree that it is in the sellers best interest to get a DL, make a bill of sale, etc, but being in someones best interest and being legal are 2 completly different things...

INGunGuy

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    Infidel mentions in his first post that he has a LTCH but can't buy handgun from a dealer. is this because of his residency or because he won't pass a background check? is thisthe reason he is interested in a gun show sale/purchase?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Infidel mentions in his first post that he has a LTCH but can't buy handgun from a dealer. is this because of his residency or because he won't pass a background check? is thisthe reason he is interested in a gun show sale/purchase?

Dealers can not sell a handgun to anyone under 21 regardless of state law, he's 19.

I don't know how many times I have to say this, you can be the resident of multiple states, he lives part of the time in Indiana, he's a resident; he lives part of the time in Illinois, he's a resident. It's hard to prove you're a resident if you don't have ID from a particular state but you're a resident nonetheless. He has a IN DL and LTCH, wonderful, buy up while you're here, just don't take them to Illinois.

Top Bottom