Legality of face to face transaction ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    Legality of face to face transaction with an Illinois resident: legal or illegal?

I would like a qualified answer please.

Thanks in advance.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    No. Illegal.

Unless you go FTF with an FFL.

No.

As far as my qualifications.......
    Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A WISE GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified?

:):

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A WISE GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified?

I THOUGHT there was something a bit off about you.

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    The reason I asked for a qualified response was because an Illinois resident told me about an hour ago that he traded his firearm for Indiana State Trooper's carry weapon in FTF transaction.

I realize that it was heresay, but I just needed to find out for sure.

Here is his exact quote, "It is legal to do person to person sale between our two states."

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Qualifications: 18 USC 922 (b)(3) In part, prohibits the sale or transfer of a firearm between two non-licensed* individuals who are not residents of the same State.

*non-licensed, meaning Federal Firearms License, not a carry permit.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Beetle breakfast?

Beetle drink?

Beetle orange?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    The reason I asked for a qualified response was because an Illinois resident told me about an hour ago that he traded his firearm for Indiana State Trooper's carry weapon in FTF transaction.

I realize that it was heresay, but I just needed to find out for sure.

Here is his exact quote, "It is legal to do person to person sale between our two states."

Here's my question, could an Indiana State Trooper live in IL?

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    I suppose that could have been the case, but I doubt that, for the guy
    claimed that it is legal to do person to person sale between resident's of two states( Indiana and Illinois).

I really do not know what to make of this.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I suppose that could have been the case, but I doubt that, for the guy
    claimed that it is legal to do person to person sale between resident's of two states( Indiana and Illinois).

I really do not know what to make of this.

After reading what Scutter1 posted I think it illegal, I wouldn't do it?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Typically, no. Most departments have a residency requirement that varies from department to department (must live in city, county, etc). I would imagine it would be the same for the Indiana STATE police. :dunno:

Lots of places have expanded their residency requirements, I know that you used to have to live in Marion County if you worked for the county but they have changed that to include the doughnut counties I believe.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    If he lived in Illinois he would have to lock up his gun and throw it in the trunk at the state line just to go home.:dunno:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Lots of places have expanded their residency requirements, I know that you used to have to live in Marion County if you worked for the county but they have changed that to include the doughnut counties I believe.

:yesway: Up here they're still a bit more strict. It's good to see it relaxing somewhat, although I still feel that if you're not a resident of the county/city you work for, you shouldn't take the squad car home :twocents:

/Tangent

eirish2001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here's my question, could an Indiana State Trooper live in IL?

70TH INDIANA STATE POLICE TROOPER BASIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
    Only those applicants for the position of trooper, who meet certain initial standards, will be considered. If you do not meet the requirements, do not take the written test examination.
    Traditional Academy Initial Standards:
    1. Must be a United States citizen.

2. Must be at least 21 and less than 40 years of age, when appointed as a trooper. The appointment date for the 70th Indiana State Police Recruit Academy is scheduled to be March 4, 2011.

3. Must meet a minimum vision standard (corrected or uncorrected) of 20/50 acuity in each eye and 20/50 distant binocular acuity in both eyes.

4. Must possess a valid driver’s license to operate an automobile.

5. Must be willing, if appointed, to reside and serve any place within the state of Indiana, as designated by the Superintendent.

6. Must be a high school graduate, as evidenced by a diploma or equivalency diploma.

Last edited:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    5. Must be willing, if appointed, to reside and serve any place within the state of Indiana, as designated by the Superintendent.

Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom