• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • itguy81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Looking for some advice for a beginner lefty looking to purchase first hand gun. Any other lefties out there with advice. Most just learn to use the right handed guns. Slide lock is the biggest pain for me.

dwp9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greensburg
    Im a lefty but I use a right hand gun. If you choose to go left get a fully ambidextrious gun. M&P pistols are a great choice. I believe the Gen 4 Glock is also ambi as well (Check one out to make sure). My glock 19 has an extended slide release on it and it is easy to use with my trigger finger. Get what suits you cause that is all that matters. It will make you a better shooter.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm a lefty, and I've never had a truly ambidextrous handgun. I learned to rack the slide from the top, which will pretty much work for just about any autoloading pistol.

Some people I guess call that slingshotting. Once you're used to doing that, it's no problem. It's the same movement for clearing failures, so you only need to really learn the ONE movement, which simplifies things under stress.

As a lefty, you might also need to learn to eject mags using your index finger instead of your thumb, since ambi mag releases are few and far between. At least that's what I do.

All that said, I am going to probably pick up a CZ 85 of some sort one of these days soon, and that pistol has an ambi slide release and ambi safety. I'll still need to use my trigger finger to drop mags, but that's the way it goes.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I personally just gave up and shoot right handed most of the time now. The FN FNX-9 is a great ambi. gun though. It's controls mirror exactly on both sides, so using it on either you strong or weak side is the same..

Practice shooting both sides and learn ways that work for you, lefties have been forced to work with the guns that are out there and many have adapted just fine..

itguy81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I will definitely shoot lefty, although I am ambidextrous at somethings, definitely not shooting, or eyesight. Nice to know that there are a few choice that offer ambi slide lock and safeties. Sounds like the best thing to do is to get used to living in the right hand man's world, like we do for everything else.

Top Bottom