• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Lee turret press for quite a while. This is because I want to be able to load at a little faster rate for things like 9mm, 45 acp, 357 mag, and other straight wall pistol calibers. The difference between a classic cast and a regular turret (4 whole) kit is about $90 from Kempf's.

So, since I'm only going to be using this for pistol ammo, is it worth the extra for the cast press?

Thanks,
    D

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    Yes. I had the older style and its just not as robust. Classic cast press is much better than the older style turret press. I gave my old one to a friend who was reloading on a single stage press.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I think so. Although you can probably run across a used Lee turret press at considerable savings; there's a lot of them around and they don't really wear out. A 4 hole will speed you up 2-3 times I'd guess. You can also get 8 hole turrets for some turret presses (don't know about Lee) that would let you leave multiple calibers set up ready to go. At the same time, if you don't shoot a bunch, or if you have plenty of time on your hands, or are a precision rifle shooter, there's nothing wrong with single stage presses.

WHOOPS: Upon further review, I see you were asking to compare two different versions of the Lee turret press; I thought you were comparing the Lee Turret to the Lee single stage.

Last edited:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I've had no problem with the cheaper model. I can't see the reason to pay twice as much for something that does the same thing just as fast and accurately as the cheaper version.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I might add that the 4 hole model uses a different method of indexing than the 3 hole model. At least my upgraded one does. I like the 4 hole verson much better. No more little plastic disc's to buy.

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    I've had two of the cast aluminum pieces (part of the lever which connects the arm and the ram) on the older style press crack. Its good to use some case lube or spray silicone on the casings with the older style to ease some of the pressure.

The spent primer removal is better on the classic cast press. Its really nice for the primers to drop through a tube into a can than somewhere else, like the floor.

The classic cast press has one part that takes some getting used to. The throw or how far the lever must be moved to go full travel on the ram is longer than the older style turret press.

My setup is the classic cast press, upgraded powder measure, and the primer attachment. I've had really good results with this setup. 200 per hour is the max I can get. Most times its 150. I like to get up and stretch, pull a couple bullets and weigh charges.

For higher levels of production I use a Hornady LNL AP. Use this press during shooting season.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I have both. Pro's and Cons?

The Classic Turret is more expensive. It's worth it by a mile. $94.99 @ Natchez.
    The Classic Turret doesn't make a mess with spent primers.
    The Classic Turret has a lot more leverage.
    I don't foresee wearing it out. Ever.

The Deluxe Turret, or whatever it's called, has a shorter stroke and a shorter lever, which, for loading pistol ammo is a real benefit... I almost wish Lee would make a shorter "Classic" version for this reason. $67.99 for the 3-hole. $104.99 for the 4-hole + kit. IMO, don't get the kit. You don't want the Auto Disc, you want the Pro Auto Disk. Many people also get frustrated with the Lee Scale.

However, the lever on the Classic Turret is adjustable (you can make it shorter) so you almost can get the same result.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Got the classic as it was only a few dollars more. Never regretted it. Even after about 3000 rounds of 9mm. Easy to change the handle side after one arm gets tired, or when my left-handed son wants to help.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I have a three hole Lee that I use for smaller runs of ammo when I dont want to change over my Dillon Square Deal. Plus they dont make 30 carbine for the Square Deal. I skip the first stage in either press and keep a single stage to resize and deprime so I can prime with a hand primer too. Gotten too many inconsistant results with the auto priming systems, so I feel better with seating each one by hand. Sure, it takes a lot longer to crank out a thousand rounds, but I would rather sacrifice some speed for consistancy and safety.

Top Bottom