• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I recently bought a bunch of supplies to get into reloading and decided to start off with the Lee Classic Turret. I decided to get the Lee Reloading Manual since it was my understanding that each manufacturer has information specific to their products in their manual. The problem I am having with the Lee manual is that it seems poorly written. I find it hard to follow because the author assumes that I already have some knowledge of reloading or terminology. I am an absolute beginner and when the author uses terms like "headspace" or "bullet run-out" without first explaining what it is, I am lost. Also, there is no glossary to explain these terms. Everytime there is a term like this thrown out I have to put my book down and go do some reading on the Internet to figure out what the heck he is talking about.

Are other reloading manuals this poorly written?

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    When I first started, I remember thinking the same thing about the manuals. I had to do a lot of research and ask a ton of questions before I got rolling. The best advice I can give you is pick up a copy of 'The ABC's of Reloading'. That book will explain the reloading process more from a beginners standpoint.

For what it's worth, the Lee manual is one of my least favorite ones to use. My recommendation is to pick up Lyman's most recent edition. That's the one I use 90% of the time. Good luck!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I don't have the Lee book, I use- Accurate, Speer, Lyman, Hornady and have a copy of the ABC's of reloading.
    I think it's best to have multiple references. Each of these books has a little bit different information in them.
    Like Dr. Midnight said the ABC's will explain a lot. You're doing the right thing though, if you don't understand something look it up become familiar / understand it before you proceed.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I think you will find many of the older manuals were written at a time when things like "headspace" and "run-out" were commonly understood concepts. I will say, however, that of the major reloading manuals, Richard Lee's is probably the most technical, which also tends to make it a more difficult read. The ABC's reads more like a "Reloading for Dummies" book, but that makes it excellent for guys just getting into the hobby. I cut my teeth on the Sierra and Speer books, but now find myself reaching mostly for either Lyman's 49th, my Nosler manual, or else the good ol' Intertoobs. :)

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I didn't care much for Lee's book either.
    I'll add another vote for Lyman, especially if you want to shoot cast.

Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    I recently bought a bunch of supplies to get into reloading and decided to start off with the Lee Classic Turret. I decided to get the Lee Reloading Manual since it was my understanding that each manufacturer has information specific to their products in their manual. The problem I am having with the Lee manual is that it seems poorly written. I find it hard to follow because the author assumes that I already have some knowledge of reloading or terminology. I am an absolute beginner and when the author uses terms like "headspace" or "bullet run-out" without first explaining what it is, I am lost. Also, there is no glossary to explain these terms. Everytime there is a term like this thrown out I have to put my book down and go do some reading on the Internet to figure out what the heck he is talking about.

Are other reloading manuals this poorly written?

If you don't know what he's talking about, spend more time finding out and less time posting that you don't know. :twocents:

KevinJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I started with the Hornady manual back in the mid 80s and an RCBS single stage press (Rock Crusher). Got back into reloading just 2 or 3 years ago and purchased the ABCs of Reloading as well as 4 or 5 different manuals. Each has items I learned from.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    When I started, the Lee reloading manual was all I had. Before I got equipment or even loaded my first round, I read the whole thing. If you just go to the tables first, it's easy to get confused. Reading the whole manual helped turn a raw noob into someone ready to make safe, accurate loads. 8,000 rounds later, the Lee is still the first place I go.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    When I started, the Lee reloading manual was all I had. Before I got equipment or even loaded my first round, I read the whole thing. If you just go to the tables first, it's easy to get confused. Reading the whole manual helped turn a raw noob into someone ready to make safe, accurate loads. 8,000 rounds later, the Lee is still the first place I go.

The tables seem easy to understand. I did start with page 1 and I am talking about the front matter of the book I am reading through it before reloading my first round. Thanks.

Top Bottom