• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Anyone have one of these? I noticed Midway has them on sale for $159.99 complete with your choice of several pistol dies.

I like my single stage Lee, and have been thinking about a progressive for handgun rounds.

For $160 it seems like something I ought to ask "Santa" for this year.

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    I'd like to use a dillon. I've got a pro 1000 and have had some problems with it but found out most of the problems were just lack of knowledge/experience on my part. Once I figured things out, it has been fine.

Glockman1989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    If you could buy a Yugo for $200 or a Rolls Royce for $500, which would you choose? There is a time to save money but not this way. Go for the Dillon and you will Never be sorry.

Armorer59

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Greene County
    Like most of the above stated, Buy a DILLON! I had the great misfortune of owning a LEE Pro 1000 and believe me there's nothing "PRO" about them. The cast aluminum parts are made from a very low grade ie. SOFT alloy. They wear FAST! I have 2 DILLON 550's and wouldn't trade them for 1000 LEE Pro 1000 presses!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the advice. The question was not so much of if I should save money for a nicer press, that is a given. I was looking for more of a thumbs up / thumbs down on this particular model at this time.

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    OMO buy a dillon is a nice way to say lee's progressive presses are POS!

lee makes some good products dont get me wrong I really like thier pistol dies and bullet molds but I have yet to see a good progressive from lee

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I looked at all of them and picked the Lee Loadmaster. The main reason was verstility over the Pro 1000 and cost savings over the Hornady LNL AP. Dillon wasn't in the running due to cost.

I'm taking it slow to start but setup and caliber changeover is easy. No problems to report so far, except that Unique won't meter, but that's not surprising.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    Which Dillon

I have had my Lee turret press for about 8 months and love it and would recommend it to anyone starting out as a cheap way to start reloading.

But here i am wanting to go faster and being told Dillon but I am not sure which one I want. It does not seem like the square deal would be much faster that what I have. The only thing that is automated is the primmer loading and that works ok and somewhat fast on Lee turret.

So I look at 550 and 650 and trying to make sure I do not buy one and which i had the other. What are biggest reason the 650 over the 550. I see the 650 will load the cases for you. What else does the 650 do?

I should add that i mainly loading 9mm but could see me loading, 38, 40 or 45.

Armorer59

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Greene County
    Which dillon

I have had my Lee turret press for about 8 months and love it and would recommend it to anyone starting out as a cheap way to start reloading.

But here i am wanting to go faster and being told Dillon but I am not sure which one I want. It does not seem like the square deal would be much faster that what I have. The only thing that is automated is the primmer loading and that works ok and somewhat fast on Lee turret.

So I look at 550 and 650 and trying to make sure I do not buy one and which i had the other. What are biggest reason the 650 over the 550. I see the 650 will load the cases for you. What else does the 650 do?

I should add that i mainly loading 9mm but could see me loading, 38, 40 or 45.

If you plan on loading just pistol cartridges I would probably go with the 650. I you think you may want to load rifle as well, I would go with the 550. Having had both mounted to my bench for extended periods of time, my biggest peeve about the 650 is set up time. If you change back and forth from small to large priming, the 650 is a bit of a PITA to change over. However if you load big quantities of each caliber, the 650 shines. Currently I run 2 550's. One permanently set for small primer calibers and one for large. I'm into both of my 550's for only slightly more than the 650. I also feel it's easier to load rifle calibers on the 550. I like manually controlling the shell plate.

Last edited:

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I had a pro 1000 for my first press and I thought it was great. I decided to use a case funnel and a scale instead of the powder setup it came with though. All in all Id say it was a great buy.

Top Bottom