lee pro 1000? Anybody have experience with this.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Hey there,
    I've been using a single stage rock chucker for a long time now. I am wanting to jump to a progressive but I got to keep an eye on what I drop on one.
    I saw midway had a lee pro 1000 with accessories and set up for one caliber for under $160.

Has anybody used this?
    Any good or bads?
    Suggestions?
    Or should I just save up?
    Thanks for any help

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have a PRO 1000. My advice? Buy a Dillon.

I could give you a thousand reasons why the Lee sucks, but I don't want to get my blood pressure up. It just sucks. The worst part is the primer feed system. I am a very experienced reloader and I managed to blow up the primer tray because the design is prone to failure and IT SUCKS.

Buy a Dillon.

jtb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I have one left, set up in 9mm. It's ran 1k a month for the last seven years with no breakage I didn't cause and two worn out rachets. They are not Cadillacs, but get you where you are going cheep.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have used a Pro 1000 for all of my pistol ammo for almost 20 years. I lost count a long time ago of how many thousands of 38, 357, 9mm, and 45 acp it has loaded. I think it is a good value for the money.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I have one. I use it for several calibers. As one mentioned, it's not a Cadillac, but I have had good luck with mine.

Now having said that, I'd REALLLLLLY like to have a Dillon!

For the money, you won't go wrong in my opinion buying the Lee though.

briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    It really all depends on how much you want to spend. All of them make ammo.
    I have two lee presses ( single stage and a turret) both work great for over ten years now.
    I have used a friends Dillon square deal setup, it was nice but I didnt think it was worth the money it costs him IMHO ..
    On the Lee.. If you have a problem with the primer feed. Clean the shute .. :)

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Love My Pro 1000

If your going to load millions of rounds get a Dillon, but if you are on a budget like I am the pro 1000 is a good choice. I load every thing from .32 acp to .223/556 for my AR. Had some problems with it recently, sent it back for repairs, they sent it back repaired, Free of charge! Mayabe not a Cadilac, but a good one to get started with. You cannot load big rifle cartridges, 30 carbine, 223/5.56 and Russian .220 for AK 74's are the limits for the press. The auto disk powder measure is ok but not real precise. When I load my .223 match ammo I measure by hand with an electronic scale, because I was getting about a .5 grain swing on my loads for .223. I use my auto disk for plinking because it's good enough!

Last edited:

rj3438

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    My experience is that they are ok for pistol calibers but not very good for rifle rounds. Can't explain why, but it will run smoothly with 9mm and .45 but starts to get balky when changed over to .223.

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    My experience is that they are ok for pistol calibers but not very good for rifle rounds. Can't explain why, but it will run smoothly with 9mm and .45 but starts to get balky when changed over to .223.
    I had one and gave it away.Bought a dillon and had more headaches so now i stick with single stage.:twocents:

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Thanks for all the help guys. I agree the dillon would be the best choice but I'm on a budget. I'll wait a lil longer and see if I get any more replys on your opinions.

Thanks again

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I'll toss out one more option. If you're on a budget but still wanting to load rifle cartridges you should check out the pro 1000s' larger brother, the LoadMaster. IIRC the LoadMaster can accommodate larger rifle cartridges than the pro 1000, or at least do it more easily. It's not significantly more expensive either - MidwayUSA lists the LoadMaster for $70 more than the comparable pro 1000. It also gets you an extra hole in the turret for a 5th die, so you can use one of Lee's nice factory crimp dies as a separate step.

mhs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I used a Pro 1000 for over a decade and had minimal difficulties with it. I sold it after I got a Loadmaster, which also has been satisfactory.

daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    I have a buddy with a Dillon and it is a sweet machine, but like you I have a hard time justifying that much money. Just about all of my reloading equipment is Lee and I really like most of it. I don't have the Pro 1000 so can't speak to that, but 2 of the posts hit on the 2 critical things about Lee equipment. First, you do have to maintain it. There are usually some little tricks (like cleaning the primer chute, apparently) that make a big difference. Second, Lee will figure out a way to make it work for you, so its not a big risk to get it. What I have is the turret press. Halfway between the single stage and full progressive. The auto index feature hasn't worked well for me and I would worry about the Pro 1000 as it uses the same basic mechanism, but there seem to be plenty of other happy customers, so maybe they're different enough. If you are looking to manage costs, the turret press is pretty slick. Certainly not as fast as a progressive, but you can put a case in and just keep pressing and turning and putting various components into the case 'til its done and it cuts out a lot of time with repetative handling of the case. Or you can use it for single stage when you want. Just as good for rifle as pistol.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I used to load 38 special with the Lee Pro 1000. I found the primer tray needed to be kept nearly full at all times. But the biggest problem was that it failed to sometimes drop the necessary amount of powder, and so I had a few squib loads. After several frustrating months, I sold it and bought a Dillon 550B, and everything seems to work so much better.

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    thanks for all the help guys. looks like there are more good than bad to say about it here from the users. Another question I have for you all is I thought I saw somewhere that you had to use only certain manufactures of primers for the system. Is this true or can you use any primer brand?

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Any brand of primer will work in the press but Lee specifically recommends Winchester and CCI because they have the hardest cups. The other manufacturers' primers are much easier for the Pro 1000/Loadmaster priming system to crush (causing a detonation) if the primer gets tipped or flipped. A detonation most likely won't damage any part of the press other than the priming system itself though.

Lee actually sells a deflector plate for the LoadMaster specifically to deal with this problem. It may work on the Pro 1000 as well but I don't know (Lee will happily answer the question if you call them). I've never used anything but Winchester primers in my LoadMaster and I have never had a problem.

Rammer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I used the Loadmaster for 6 years and loaded almost 20,000 rounds of 40 and 45. If you are mechanically inclined it isn't a bad price. And for the cost it is great. I am a tool maker by trade and the instructions were some of the worst instructions I have ever used. I finally just put them aside and starting playing with the press. Once I figured out how it worked it was fine.
    I now use a Dillon 650 to load most of my stuff. But I still use the loadmaster for a few cartridges.

Like I heard mentioned earlier about the 1000, was a lot of priming problems. But for a complete press for about $225. It is pretty good.

Rammer

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I've had my pro1000 for a very short time, less than 500 rounds of .38sp loaded so far.

It was a pain to setup properly, but now I've got it running a lot better and so far I'm pleased.

Keep the primers filled up, keep the chute clean, mount the press to a very sturdy bench. I had my old single stage on a roll around cart. I decided I needed a strong bench attached to a wall for the pro1000. It has helped a lot.

i'm mechanically inclined so maybe that's why I like it. I can see it being impossible to use for someone who is not mechanically inclined.

Top Bottom