• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Looks like my wife and I will be in Leavenworth the weekend before Christmas, for a "weekend away". Anything interesting in that neck of the woods? We might just go exploring, but a destination or two would be handy. Shopping? Touristy stuff? Odd ball or cool places to stop (we are all about the oddball!)?

We might drive over to Corydon and check out the historic stuff and any shops that might be open.

Of course, if it is snowing, we might just stay in front of the fireplace all weekend!

wallotcorydon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corydon
    Looks like my wife and I will be in Leavenworth the weekend before Christmas, for a "weekend away". Anything interesting in that neck of the woods? We might just go exploring, but a destination or two would be handy. Shopping? Touristy stuff? Odd ball or cool places to stop (we are all about the oddball!)?

We might drive over to Corydon and check out the historic stuff and any shops that might be open.

Of course, if it is snowing, we might just stay in front of the fireplace all weekend!

Not sure how familiar you are with Leavenworth, but I would suggest you eat at the Overlook. Also, there is a little bar in the basement that my dad likes to go to.

What do you all like to do? With a little help, maybe I can give you some suggestions. Corydon has a lot to do and see if you like history, Mexican, or Chinese food! LOL

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The Overlook is right across from the Leavenworth Inn, where we are staying, so sounds perfect.

Is Wyandotte Cave interesting at all? We enjoy checking out state parks and historical areas (if the weather cooperates), local museums, and such. Maybe some shopping for my wife. Our default is to grab our Gazetteer map and GPS, and try to find the must un-improved road to the smallest town in the area. We've come across some cool stuff that way.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The Overlook is right across from the Leavenworth Inn, where we are staying, so sounds perfect.

Is Wyandotte Cave interesting at all? We enjoy checking out state parks and historical areas (if the weather cooperates), local museums, and such. Maybe some shopping for my wife. Our default is to grab our Gazetteer map and GPS, and try to find the must un-improved road to the smallest town in the area. We've come across some cool stuff that way.

Wyandotte Cave is closed and has been for several years. Go nearby though to Marengo and visit Marengo Caverns, take both tours.

+1 for the Overlook!

Hike in Wyandotte Woods, there's some awesome views along some of the trails.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

I don't about Wyandotte, but I have been up the road to Marengo Cave a few times. It was pretty interesting.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Wyandotte Cave is closed and has been for several years. Go nearby though to Marengo and visit Marengo Caverns, take both tours.

+1 for the Overlook!

Hike in Wyandotte Woods, there's some awesome views along some of the trails.
    The last time I was at Marengo the tour guide told us that the same company owned both caves. Do you know why they closed it?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Old State Capital building is neat. The Kintner House, The Battle of Corydon site (not much of a battle but other than Gettysburg one of the few CW battles fought on Northern soil.) Overlook's food is not what it once was (per locals, I have not eaten there since new ownership) and this could be just sour grapes. Harrison County forestry has some nice trails, some long, some short, all beautiful. The Boone family graveyard is just outside of Corydon and ofcourse there is Squire Boone Caverns (Daniel's older brother). Quite the frontiersman, 14 wounds I believe but his little brother had a better publicist (Filson) so everyone knows Dan'l, not many know Squire.

Enjoy

Indiucky

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    The last time I was at Marengo the tour guide told us that the same company owned both caves. Do you know why they closed it?

Wyandotte is a major hibernaculum for the Indiana bat and the cave was closed when the White Nose Syndrome, a fungal disease affecting cave dwelling bats, was starting to become known. The state closed all state owned caves that year except Twin Caves in Spring Mill State Park.

As far as ownership goes, the company that ran the tours in Wyandotte was the same company that owns Marengo Caverns and Diamond Caverns in Kentucky, but they did not own Wyandotte, they just ran the tourist concession.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There's some pretty good fossil hunting to be done at the next exit West... The English / Sulfer / SR 237N exit.

-J-

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Wyandotte is a major hibernaculum for the Indiana bat and the cave was closed when the White Nose Syndrome, a fungal disease affecting cave dwelling bats, was starting to become known. The state closed all state owned caves that year except Twin Caves in Spring Mill State Park.

As far as ownership goes, the company that ran the tours in Wyandotte was the same company that owns Marengo Caverns and Diamond Caverns in Kentucky, but they did not own Wyandotte, they just ran the tourist concession.

There was alot of people in the 80's that had that white nose syndrome. I used to see them at City Lights and The Toy Tiger in Louisville. They stayed up all night too and had alot of "pep". I wonder if the bats caught it from them?:D

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

Thanks. Any chance those caves will reopen soon?

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    As many have already mentioned, dining at the Overlook. You can spend a day walking around Historic Corydon. You can also visit the Harrison / Crawford State Forest.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Thanks. Any chance those caves will reopen soon?

They have been evaluating it year by year and while I doubt state owned caves will reopen this coming year, there's a good possibility that they will in 2013. I doubt Wyandotte will ever reopen as the Indiana bat is a federally protected endangered species and WNS has severely impacted their numbers.

Marengo is of course privately owned and was unaffected by the closures.

Top Bottom