• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    I am in the market for an OWB pancake holster for semi-concealed carry. I dont know whether to look for a kydex or leather style. I would prefer something that lets the gun ride pretty high. Also, any specific brand recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm firmly in the thermoplastic corner.

A GOOD quality thermoplastic holster, like a Raven, Henry, M-TAC, CompTac, etc is generally less expensive than a GOOD quality leather holster.

Thermoplastic holsters don't stretch out over time with repeated draw strokes, they don't hold moisture, and they don't hold dirt/grit. Leather holsters can do all three.

I do think leather wins, hands down, in the LOOKS department. But if you want to conceal a gun, who cares what the holster looks like because it'll be concealed as well. But if you want a "BBQ" rig, then leather all the way.

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    I just picked up a Kydex from Hooch Holsters (he's on here). Love it.

Those look very similar to the Raven holsters. Are they comparable in quality and tightness to the body. Raven is one of the options I was considering but if I can support a local small business then even better.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I prefer my leather pancakes, because I've never 'felt' it. Everytime I use a kydex, it always seems to remind me it's RIGHT THERE somehow. Maybe it's just a feel thing.

Navykid05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    South Indy
    Those look very similar to the Raven holsters. Are they comparable in quality and tightness to the body. Raven is one of the options I was considering but if I can support a local small business then even better.

Never used/felt a Raven so I can't answer that. Hooch is a Greenwood PD officer and a pretty awesome guy to work with. He said if I ever have an issue to follow up with him on it. So far, my only issue is me needing a sturdier belt. Send him a message and see what he can do for you.

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    Never used/felt a Raven so I can't answer that. Hooch is a Greenwood PD officer and a pretty awesome guy to work with. He said if I ever have an issue to follow up with him on it. So far, my only issue is me needing a sturdier belt. Send him a message and see what he can do for you.

Will do, thanks for the info. :yesway:

pagunnut72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2013
    I bought one recently from HolsterWorx. They're in Duncansville, PA. They do fabulous work. It took me 2 weeks to have a custom made, form fitted leather holster shipped to me from the time I talked to them on the phone. The fit is fabulous. I found their stuff on Facebook.:yesway: Just search for HolsterWorx on Facebook. I believe all of their contact info is on there.

Top Bottom