• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, had myself a "learning opportunity" a little while ago, so I thought I'd share.

I friend finally got his LTCH, and was carrying the other day. We got to chatting, and he asked if I would like to see his new gun. Here were the steps as I recall:
    - He pulled it from the holster
    - dropped the mag (it is a semi-auto)
    - cycled the action to clear the chamber, and caught the ejected round
    - Released the slide and re-inserted the magazine
    - Handed it to me
    - I immediately (out of habit) started to pull back the slide to re-check the chamber (always loaded, until you check, right?)

We both let out a "Whoa!" at the same time. See where this was going? To check the chamber, I was going to pull the slide back.... on a full magazine.

So, next time I will drop the mag first. After thinking about this for a while, I realized that I keep my other semi-auto unloaded (no magazine) at home, and am used to picking it up, checking the chamber, THEN inserting the mag. Following my "routine" almost had me chambering a round.

So, a good learning opportunity.

BTW: I don't know the "proper" procedure, but the last time I handed my carry gun to someone it was cleared, locked back, and the mag in my other hand.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If I hand someone a gun it will have the magazine in my hand and the slide locked back. On rare occasion I've showed someone a gun in a box that had the magazine in it, but that's pretty rare.

I NEVER show someone a gun that is capable of having its loaded magazine inserted unless I am training them on gun safety. Doesn't matter if it's another gun friend I know to be safety conscious.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If I hand someone a gun it will have the magazine in my hand and the slide locked back. On rare occasion I've showed someone a gun in a box that had the magazine in it, but that's pretty rare.

I NEVER show someone a gun that is capable of having its loaded magazine inserted unless I am training them on gun safety. Doesn't matter if it's another gun friend I know to be safety conscious.

:+1: Well said. Thanks for the help.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    I was present near 2 individuals that had a Para Ord 45. The firearm was unloaded and they were fitting the adjustable thumb break of a holster for cocked and locked. About 30 Min's later the owner started to readjust it again unnoticed by anyone and the gun went off with a 230 grain Black Talon. It bounced off the floor and went past my calf muscle and into the wall. I grabbed it and unloaded it. He learned a lesson that day and I was one of his professors. He went on to become a Police Officer.

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    - dropped the mag (it is a semi-auto)
    - cycled the action to clear the chamber, and caught the ejected round
    - Released the slide and re-inserted the magazine
    - Handed it to me

Your friend is far more focused on showing off his dexterity than safety. I hope he learned a lesson!

Mag OUT, chamber cleared, slide locked back. And check it AGAIN when it's handed back.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    I was present near 2 individuals that had a Para Ord 45. The firearm was unloaded and they were fitting the adjustable thumb break of a holster for cocked and locked. About 30 Min's later the owner started to readjust it again unnoticed by anyone and the gun went off with a 230 grain Black Talon. It bounced off the floor and went past my calf muscle and into the wall. I grabbed it and unloaded it. He learned a lesson that day and I was one of his professors. He went on to become a Police Officer.

Bet he carries his bullet in his pocket too! :D

Top Bottom