Leaky air ducts in crawl space, how to tackle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    When I went in to shut off water at the mother-in-law's place I noted the air to be frigid and a positive air flow. It was hot out and AC was on.

I don't want to spend a lot of time down there but want to make it better before winter heating season. What should I bring with me to patch holes or resecure things? I've heard rumors home depot rented FLIR cameras which would make finding the leaks much easier but can't find that online.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    IMO the first step would be to seal all of the joints, and any obvious holes with aluminum tape, NOT duct tape. Step two would be to insulate the ducts, if they aren't already.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    IMO the first step would be to seal all of the joints, and any obvious holes with aluminum tape, .

I've seen the shiny metal stuff on my runs before. I had planned to bring a good supply of that. It's hard to get in/out of and I want to have it all on hand. Can you splice those things together if one is really tore up?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm guessing some duct work is falling apart. Get a tote, put some bailing wire, 1/2inch sheet metal screws, 1inch sheet metal screws, metal tape, and drill in it. Use the 1/2inch screws to put the ductwork back together, use the 1inch screws and wire to brace it, use the tape on the seams.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If it's really nasty, take a roll of plastic with you and unroll as you go. Use the roll as a headrest. Don't unroll until you need to or it will just get nasty.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Make repairs as necessary to the structure of the ducitng then have spray in foam insulation blown over all of the ducting. Seals it nicely the added insulation is a plus!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    +Rookie. Have a few options and a buddy/wife/gf to help send things down to you. Wear a headlight and a baseball cap( keep spider webs away from your face) if its a real low crawl, get a helper to jump in the hole with you! Beer and pizza afterwords is good for some laughs. If the metal is really shot, you may need some professional help. Where is your HVAC /hunting buddy when you need his help?
    A loose duct can cause your house to be cooler than usual. If it is flex, you can replace it pretty easily, but I would do a few rooms at a time. You will need to take a break for your knees and back to keep working. Good luck.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    Duct tape, that's what it's made for

Just say NO to duct tape

I know because the idiots used it at my house, and it has done exactly that; brittle and peeling off. All the new runs in the basement that I did, used foil tape and something flat and soft to rub as much of the creases out as you can.

You can also find the mastic paste in caulk gun tubes at Home Depot for about $4 a tube, shouldn't need more than 1, they cover quite a bit. It's water based, so you can squeeze some out onto your finger tip and rub in onto the joint (careful of sharp metal edges). Allow it to set for about a 1/2 hour, then foil tape over, smoothing out the creases.

Spray foam is the best, just depends on how much you're looking at spending on this endeavor.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Before any adhesive will bond with the "Old" duct if metal or fiber you must clean the area with some kind of solvent. We have been forced to use scotch brite and brake clean to get the crud off the old duct before the tape will stick and "STAY" in place. Do a test on the duct close to the crawl entrance and see what you are up against. If the duct has fallen down it will have to put back into it's original position and fit back together. Support is all important. If you have issues PM me. Will help if we can.

No duct tape. It is not permanent in that environment.

heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    You want to use mastic caulk made for HVAC systems. You can buy it in caulk tubes or the best way is to buy it in a bucket and simply use stiff paint brush to apply it. They have water and solvent based mastic. Water based is easier to use and easier cleanup if you get it on you.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom