• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead-Eye Mike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Evansville
    My first time to reload 9mm and I used 115 lead bullets.
    I checked size and length.
    I'm shooting a S&W M&P Pro.
    The problem I'm having is some of the rounds are getting hung before they enter the chamber.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Not enough crimp. test for this by removing the barrel, then dropping a round in the chamber. If you feel any drag at all, put more taper crimp into it.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Both are correct.

Shorten your OAL. The bearing surface of the bullets is contacting the rifling before the slide goes into battery.
    +1-The diameter of most cast bullets are larger toward the end (Ogive). This will hang up in the rifling/lands of a lot of barrels if too long.

Not enough crimp. test for this by removing the barrel, then dropping a round in the chamber. If you feel any drag at all, put more taper crimp into it.
    +1-Some cast bullets will require a heavier crimp to squeeze down expanded case.

OP to remember that the diameter of a cast bullet is AT LEAST .001" larger than jacketed bullet diameter.
    My experience with these "troubles" started when I loaded Missouri Bullet Co. 124gr.RN (Small Ball). It is a very good bullet, but has a large ogive. These bullets would not chamber in my CZ's when seated to published specs.

Just work with your seater, and crimp die until the same "Klunk" is heard in your field stripped barrel as a factory load sounds. JUST a couple of thousands at a time.

REMEMBER--DO NOT --Load these to Max powder listed until you reach your desired OAL!!
    Pressure will go UP as the bullet is seated deeper in the case. Use the Mid-Range powder charge+work your way up, watching for pressure signs along the way...Bill.

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    All great and informative answers. ++++++ I love lead bullets actually so do My Glock-enspiels. Remember lead is a precious metal now.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Are they entering any of the chamber at all or is the nose of the bullet catching on the front edge of the chamber ? Round nose bullets or flat nosed ?

Dead-Eye Mike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Evansville
    Are they entering any of the chamber at all or is the nose of the bullet catching on the front edge of the chamber ? Round nose bullets or flat nosed ?

Some enter okay and some will get hung going in.
    Using Missouri round nose.
    I removed the barrel and the bullets would not drop in the chamber without being pushed in.
    I had the OAL at 1.100 and I reduced to 1.050 and re-crimped. Now they will drop in the chamber all the way.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For you lead users, watch the classifieds. I am putting a box of 115gr and 124gr LRN MBC bullets I bought but have not used any of them.

I drove down to a store when I heard they had bullets and being a noob I didn't bother to ask if they had FMJ and when I got there and all they had was lead. I got caught up in the frenzy and bought them and some .45 auto.

I decided that I don't want to mess with lead bullets, especially in my 9, so I will post them soon.

I am having more difficulties with my .45 loads than I care to so I am going to stick with jacketed.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Now they will drop in the chamber all the way.[/QUOTE]

Some enter okay and some will get hung going in.
    Using Missouri round nose.
    I removed the barrel and the bullets would not drop in the chamber without being pushed in.
    I had the OAL at 1.100 and I reduced to 1.050 and re-crimped. Now they will drop in the chamber all the way.

The "Key" is, will they drop in the same amount as a factory load, with the same "Klunk" sound? If so, then your good to go. Usually somewhere around 1.045"-1.075".

FWIW: The longer (With the good "Klunk"), the better the feed from your magazine into the chamber...Bill.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Bill, it sounds like he may have some expanded (Glocked) brass. What do you think?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I really don't think so??

Bill, it sounds like he may have some expanded (Glocked) brass. What do you think?

A., I MAY?? think toward that if the OP was speaking of a .40 S&W, but probably not in a 9MM.
    Also: " I reduced to 1.050 and re-crimped. Now they will drop in the chamber all the way."

^^^With that said, it seems that he is getting good head space once the bullets clear the lands of the barrel-In other words-OAL is short enough.

For ME, the only "Swelled" 9MM brass that I have come across, have been ran in a machine gun with "Generous" chamber specs...Bill.

Top Bottom