• Which to do prefer?

• Total voters

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Wow, first one with an opinion, huh? Okay.......I prefer my Kel-Tecs. The Ruger is basically a 1st-generation P3AT (old extractor) with a few cosmetic changes. If you look at the blow-up diagrams on both pistols, they contain exactly the same parts. I personally think Ruger should have been sued (ala Glock vs. S&W over the Sigma series) but apparently Kel-Tec did not obtain exclusive patent rights to the design. Around my part of the state, the Rugers go for about $100 more than the Kel-Tecs. Customer service with KT is 100%, I've heard Ruger will make things right, but you may have to wait a bit. Ruger had a recall on the LCP's also, which is why I didn't buy one to compare to my P3AT, I like to buy guns (computers,cars) a few years after the base model comes out so that the bugs are worked out of the design. I know people that are happy with both pistols. I shoot a bunch of Ruger pistols and rifles also, so I'm not biased against them. And I own both of the small KT's the P32 and a P3AT. My KT's have been 100% with any ammo I can find, I've heard reports that the Rugers can be finicky in what ya feed em'. Just my 2 cents.......

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I got the LCP. The gun store had both of them in stock, so I check both of them out side by side. As Dewidmt said, they are pretty much identical in size/shape/construction, but when looking them over, I could definitely tell the difference in quality in the ruger vs the Keltec. Ruger was just a more polished, better fit/finish gun than the KelTec. They were priced with in $50, so I went with the LCP due to the better overall quality.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I've had a 2nd gen P3AT for a couple of years and it has been flawless. Zero problems. If I was in the market again, side by side, I might pick a post-recall LCP purely for the fit/finish. I doubt I would pay more than $20-30 extra for it though.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have both. Both work. I like the slide lock/slide release on the Ruger. Otherwise they are pretty much the same functionally. The Ruger looks a bit nicer to my eye, but that is just my opinion. For the price the Kel Tec is the better buy.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'll vote for the P3AT. I must admit that I've never handled or shot the LCP but that's mainly because my P3AT hasn't given me any problems or a reason to not trust it. As a Ruger fan I'm sure the LCP is a fine pocket pistol but I don't feel the need to spend the money on one when I already have the "original." :D

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    While I've never had a p3at I have played with both the LCP and p3at in the stores. I have personally owned a keltec pf9 and enjoyed it. A bit too much of a bite but not terrible. I am a big Keltec fan, and while the LCP is sexier, I'll stick with what I know best, keltec.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I compared the two when buying, and the LCP just feels more solid. Ruger is not known for weak guns.

That's what I went with.

Josh <><

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I carry a P3AT. I've shot the LCP as well.

Maybe I just got a good deal on my P3AT, but the LCPs I see are about $100 more expensive than my P3AT (250 vs 350). Sure, the LCP appears a bit more finished, I don't think it is worth that much more.

Note: The LCP magazines don't seat in the P3AT... I tried a guy's LCP mag with finger extension, and it wouldn't work in my P3AT. For as close as they look, there are some minor differences.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Like 'em both for the use and price. Prefer the LCP based on a few personal preferences. Grip is better IMO....I like the thumb well and recessed mag release. Slide lock +1........better finish for sure.....Kel-Tec has the slight edge on the crappy sights that both pistols are stuck with. Throw on a CT laser and problem solved. P3at also has more upgradeable options. LCP is about $50 more, and I think it is a about $50 nicer. Both great little mousers!

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    I'll pick the Kel-tec over the Ruger. $80 cheaper(buys a lot of ammo and targets) and it has been 100% reliable. Sure-the LCP is a little rounder and prettier, but like others-I'll keep the original especially when they have proven customer service. A Kel-tec P11 is next on my list..........

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I haven't been able to make either run a full magazine without some kind of failure. I think both guns know I have contempt for them, and thusly refuse to function confirming my suspicions. :)

I understand some/a lot of you have had no problem at all with your Kel Tec, or LCP.
    but esrice, and scutter can both confirm I'm apparently kryptonite for the Kel Tec.

right2arms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    I have the p3at and shot quite a few rounds through it including +P buffalo bore and also the corbon powrball. Not a single failure and that includes shooting it dirty.

Never tried the LCP but my thought is, the kel tec is $100 cheaper and its the tried and true, while the LCP is a new design for Ruger.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I voted P3AT. and that is after 200 rounds of, on average, roughly 1 failure per 6 rounds.

At about 150, I gave the gun a once over per the KelTec forums, which I'm sure somebody can link to... but rounds 200 through 600 have been flawless (just like my glock)

I trust it now. IF I preferred to spend more money than time on my guns, I'd have preferred the LCP; but since I am more confident in a tool I have tested, I trust my Kel-Tec today... Sure, maybe I could have trusted an LCP after 100 rounds for $100 less.

Both sides are 100% valid. Most won't have a problem with either.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    the p3at i had was a giant POS. i considered getting a LCP, but decided to get the Bersa Thunder...i like it better than either of the 2 choices listed. :)

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I bought an early LCP and have shot the P3at on a few occasions. When I got my LCP it would not fire with a round in the mag. The spring pressure pushing up on the slide would cause off center primer strikes. I sent it back to Ruger and after 6weeks they sent it back, yes 6 weeks. Me, my son son and a friend of his run 200 rounds through it trying to make it hic-cup. no problems at all. I then ran another 300 rounds through it, 500 total without cleaning no issue whatsoever. I have since cleaned it and tried several different types of ammo and carry it daily everywhere.
    The pistol should have been this good when I first brought it home.
    Now with that the P3at that I have fired is still having some feeding issues.
    I would not shy away from a Keltec because of this or because they do not quite have the same fit and finish as the LCP. They both serve a purpose and do it well.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom