• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CapBuster49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    With some Freaks
    I have a former customer of mine who I still stay in contact with offer me a ridiculous amount for my Glock 23.. He seems like he has money and says he just doesnt want to hassle with going to purchase one himself..Smells a little fishy but as long as he says hes not a felon I'm covered correct? Deep down I trust hes being honest with me but want to make sure I cover all bases? What do you think? Take the money and run?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If it sounds too good to be true - it probably is. Ask him for his birthdate (to verify age), go to the courthouse, and look up his public records. BTW - you need his birthdate to look up his records.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Hmmmm yeah and while your at it I would really like some prescription drugs but I don't feel like going to the doctor could you hook a brother up???

Seems fishy alright your call but I don't think I would put myself in that spot.

Ask to see LTCH and maybe a bill of sale to cover your buttocks...

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have a former customer of mine who I still stay in contact with offer me a ridiculous amount for my Glock 23.. He seems like he has money and says he just doesnt want to hassle with going to purchase one himself..Smells a little fishy but as long as he says hes not a felon I'm covered correct? Deep down I trust hes being honest with me but want to make sure I cover all bases? What do you think? Take the money and run?

You have to knowingly sell to a person who is ineligible to be wrong by law, but if there is a problem down the road there is a chance you will get to explain your actions to an investigator.

If you want to help cover your bases some, then do a bill of sale and ask for his DLN & LTCH and have him sign as the buyer. That is not a get out of jail free card, but it helps show responsibility and lack of intent.

Is this his first firearm purchase?

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    As long as he does not disqualify himself as being a "proper person" you should be covered.
    Since you have no knowledge of him not being a "proper person", you would not be held liable.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Legally you can sell a gun to anyone you know, or believe to be, of good character and not prohibited. However, what is legal and what is right may not always be the same thing. It should always be considered a 'red flag' when things simply don't sound right and that is one very good reason to walk away from a sale.

Ask for a LTCH. That gives you some assurance that he has had his background checked out and approved by the state.

CapBuster49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    With some Freaks
    A buddy asked a cop and his advice was "go for it".. Have the guy sign a paper stating I sold the gun to him, serial #, take a copy of his ID and be done with it?

I would never sell a firearm to someone I believe to be irresposible or a criminal. He owns a business and wants to keep it there for protection. I believe hes just too busy too drive and hour to purchase one and its worth a couple hundred bucks to him not to have to hassle with it.. Now if he was a broke, jobless, WT I might be more concerned..

I just want to know if there are legal ramifacations down the road, for me, if this person did have a criminal record at the time and got pulled over or something with my firearm? Is it my duty to do a criminal background check? As far as Im concerned hes a good guy let him protect himself...I sure as sh$$ do!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You have no obligation to conduct a background check.

Is it possible that he just doesn't know what a used Glock is worth? Are you gonna feel right after the deal is done?

CapBuster49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    With some Freaks
    Hmmmm yeah and while your at it I would really like some prescription drugs but I don't feel like going to the doctor could you hook a brother up???

Seems fishy alright your call but I don't think I would put myself in that spot.

Ask to see LTCH and maybe a bill of sale to cover your buttocks...

I would say thats a little different because that is definitely illegal where this is not to a law abiding citizen... BTW got any?:):

CapBuster49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    With some Freaks
    You have no obligation to conduct a background check.

Is it possible that he just doesn't know what a used Glock is worth? Are you gonna feel right after the deal is done?

Nope I told him.. Ive been upfront the whole way he just says he doesnt want to hassle with it... Im an honest man but BTW something is only worth what someone will pay for it...

CapBuster49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    With some Freaks
    You have to knowingly sell to a person who is ineligible to be wrong by law, but if there is a problem down the road there is a chance you will get to explain your actions to an investigator.

If you want to help cover your bases some, then do a bill of sale and ask for his DLN & LTCH and have him sign as the buyer. That is not a get out of jail free card, but it helps show responsibility and lack of intent.

Is this his first firearm purchase?

Nope says he has a shotgun and I believe a 9mm at home..

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Nope I told him.. Ive been upfront the whole way he just says he doesnt want to hassle with it... Im an honest man but BTW something is only worth what someone will pay for it...

Well, heck then, if he seems like a straightforward guy, isn't a prohibited person to your knowledge, and just has to throw money away because he doesn't want to drive outta the corn fields, sell it and buy yerself a nice shiny new one LOL.

CapBuster49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    With some Freaks
    Well, heck then, if he seems like a straightforward guy, isn't a prohibited person to your knowledge, and just has to throw money away because he doesn't want to drive outta the corn fields, sell it and buy yerself a nice shiny new one LOL.

Thats what I wanted to hear Joe.. BTW he's in Indy so maybe Plainfield so not quite an hour...

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What exactly is a hassle about going to a gun shop, saying, "I want a Glock 23," filling out a 4473, paying your money and walking out the door?

I wouldn't touch it.

Either he doesn't want to submit to the background check or he doesn't want to be on "the list".

The only way I would do it is if he was a very good friend and knew he was not a prohibited person.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Maybe he'd just like to stay off the .gov radar? I don't see anything wrong with that. Maybe he's been through the hassle before and realises that his other guns are, for all intents and purposes registered with the ATF and he'd like at least one firearm that isn't. If you like him and he seems like a good guy to you then I say go for it. Take the money and run.

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    Maybe this guy is somebody that gets a review when he trys to buy anything, you know the ATF tells the gun store to hold the gun for 3 or till they get a call back from the ATF.
    If i had one of those i would be willing to pay a little extra to not have to wait that hold period.

Hey sorry did not check the date and brought one back from the dead.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom