• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    The end of an era. I always have admired the guys who will lie about their age and risk a discharge just to serve. No excuses, no whining, no BS about conscience objection. He just did it, and many kudos to him for doing it.

But his story gets better.

01buckles_cnd-articleLarge.jpg

He was in Manila on business when the Japs attacked and he was held prisoner until he was liberated by troops in 1945. Talk about getting the short end of the straw. But what gets me is that he was reportedly still able to tell the stories about everything up to the end. RIP Corporal Buckles, your countrymen appreciate your sacrifices.

Reminds me of my gramps, in his 80s, beginning stages of Alzheimers, could hardly remember to put his teeth in every morning, but he could still field strip a M1 or 1911 and give you a brilliant play by play action of how it worked, max range, and tips on how to shoot it.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    It's hard to believe that they are all gone.

Brings back memories of when I was in the service and got to meet the last living veteran of the Spanish-American war at the military achievement awards banquet at the Murat Temple.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Farewell and God Bless you Cpl. Buckles. Your last page has been written and God now has your book. Your place in Our Country's History has been made. Rest now. Good-bye.

vv

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Stories like this sadden me. When I think about how these men must feel over what is happening in this country. I have seen letters written by WWII vets and survivors of the great depression in regards to what is happening and they aren't happy people. I do my best to honor them and the vision they had when they made the sacrifices they made for this country. I'm glad he at least didn't have to see the very end of it all. God bless you Mr. Buckles.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Sad to hear, but very thankful for what he did! Could you imagine life today without him??

My Great Uncle just passed a few weeks ago, he was a WWII vet, battle of the buldge.

I agree that it is an end of an era.

Top Bottom