• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fastmover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Stepford...aka Fishers, IN
    I just saw that they finally make a guide rod laser for the M&Ps.
    Guide Rod Laser for Smith & Wesson M&P Pistol

Anyone had any experience with guide rod lasers? Do they hold up well?

I'm thinking it would be a pretty good training/practice tool.
    Maybe someone at the 1500 might have them for sale.

*Mods - Please move this to the appropriate accessories forum. Thanks.

Last edited:

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I have had one on my Springfirld XD 45 for about 3 years. It works great and there is no adjustment to it. The only problem I have is after a couple of magazines are fired in the gun you need to wipe the carbon and dirt off the laser lens.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    I have had one on my Springfirld XD 45 for about 3 years. It works great and there is no adjustment to it. The only problem I have is after a couple of magazines are fired in the gun you need to wipe the carbon and dirt off the laser lens.

What he said. I have about 1500 rounds through my G27 with lasermax guide rod. So far it works great, no problems at all. Still operating on original batteries after 6 months but I do not turn it on very often. :)

Fastmover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Nice to hear that the Lasermax products have been holding up to usage and not needing additional adjustment.
    I've been toying with either getting the XS big dot or a laser for quick target acquisition.
    Of course the laser is a bit more but also provides a decent training aid.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    I would purchase the Crimson Trace laser for the M&P for the following reasons. You are not altering the factory guide rod, You CAN adjust it for that certain ammo, Much brighter, You do not have to replace the spring after certain amount of fired rounds as recommended by the mfg and the batteries are cheaper, easier to activate with no fumbling and it is much cheaper. I was one of the first in the US to purchase one for my Sig P229 and I wish I hadn't.

Fastmover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I would purchase the Crimson Trace laser for the M&P for the following reasons. You are not altering the factory guide rod, You CAN adjust it for that certain ammo, Much brighter, You do not have to replace the spring after certain amount of fired rounds as recommended by the mfg and the batteries are cheaper, easier to activate with no fumbling and it is much cheaper. I was one of the first in the US to purchase one for my Sig P229 and I wish I hadn't.

Problem is that I'm a lefty and my thumbs rest on the right side of the slide.
    I've been waiting for Crimson to make a lefty version but it doesn't look like they will be making one anytime soon.

I was pretty close to picking up one of those Viridian green lasers that go on the M&P rail but it looks rather bulky and would make using the M&P as a concealed carry piece almost impossible.

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    I think the lasermax is a great idea. Crimson trace is ok but when my finger isn't on the trigger it blocks the laser. I realize I wouldn't actually need it if my finger is off the trigger but nonetheless I like the idea of just replacing the guide rod and having a great defense tool added to your gun without changing the looks or feel of the grip.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I use a Lasermax in a glock 21 and love it. I also had a crimson trace on a glock 36 but really don't like it as well. I don't know about the new ones, but my lasermax flashes and is much easier to pick up and can be turned on from both sides of the firearm.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Got 1 on my wide body 1911, it works great!
    I dont like the plastic switch parts though, wish they were metal.
    With the laser closer to the bore , I'll bet it is on targrt at more ranges than the rail mount ones.

Johnny C

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    I've had the guide rod laser on my G19 for almost 7 years now. It's a great product that doesn't add much/if any weight to the gun.

The only problem I have with it, is it eats batteries. Although the reason it does eat batteries is because I like to torment my cat when my piece is unloaded.

Fastmover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Ok so I went to the 1500 today and there were only a couple of tables selling laser sights and only one of which had the lasermax.
    I tried out the Crimson trace grips and although I like them switching to shooting right handed just isn't an option. If they made a left handed version I'd be all over it like a fat kid on cake.
    After careful consideration....meaning I walked all over the exposition hall, I ended up buying the guide rod laser. Now to head down to the nearest indoor range to give it a shot. :)

Top Bottom