• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dkamm23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2015
    Osceola
    What do people think about the grips with the laser incorporated in them? can you notice the bulkiness? is the laser accurate? any info would help

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    If you look on the top of your firearm, there will be a post near the front of the slide, and a notched plate near the rear. You can use these pieces to aim the firearm, by holding the firearm in front of your eyes and placing the post between the notch. You'll find that these do not add much weight or bulk, and are very effective for aiming the firearm. Also, they are standard on most firearms, and do not cost anything extra.

For self defense situations, I recommend training. Train to shoot by pointing the firearm. Eventually, it will become instinctual. In a real life scenario, lasers will be useless, and sights will rarely be used.

You're welcome.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And beware laser grips if you are a lefty. When you draw and keep your finger properly indexed on the frame, the laser will strike your finger and not reach the target.

Luckily I realized that before I shelled out big bucks for one.

cctwcc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Bargersville
    If you look on the top of your firearm, there will be a post near the front of the slide, and a notched plate near the rear. You can use these pieces to aim the firearm, by holding the firearm in front of your eyes and placing the post between the notch. You'll find that these do not add much weight or bulk, and are very effective for aiming the firearm. Also, they are standard on most firearms, and do not cost anything extra.

For self defense situations, I recommend training. Train to shoot by pointing the firearm. Eventually, it will become instinctual. In a real life scenario, lasers will be useless, and sights will rarely be used.

You're welcome.

One person's opinion..
    More than 50% of self defense encounters are in low light and the laser can be a great benefit in that situation along with several others. I do agree with what the above poster said that you won't look for the sights in that situation you WILL focus on the threat. That being the case the laser will be painfully obvious to you and your attacker. If you have the time and ammo to become proficient at what is described as "point shooting" there's nothing wrong with it but most people don't have the money or the time to do so. I find I acquire my target quicker with a laser than any other method I've tried but you will have to make that decision for yourself. To answer your question, on a 1911 or M&P it doesn't disturb the grip at all for me and doesn't require a special holster.. Glock is another matter. Personally I can deal with the CT laser for the Gen 4 Glocks but the models they have for the Gen 3 just doesn't suit me at all. You can also go with a rail mount or the DS-121 for Glock and although it's not instinctive it's right under your trigger finger if it's where it's supposed to be at index position. I've yet to see one that was factory sighted and I've had and installed a number of them for others. If all else fails you DO still have the sights and I would train with them as well as the laser. If you have unlimited time and resources try the point shooting.. Some people are very good at it and some can never get the hang of it.

PS.... Not on my ignore list yet but gettin close :D

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Because having another way to sight your gun depending on circumstances is always a bad thing. SMH.

It can be a bad thing, yes. Some people focus too much on the laser. How much force on force training have you had? I can say that I never used sights in any of them that I've done. I was focused entirely on the threat. There's no way I would have seen a laser. At the distances of most shootings, sights are largely unnecessary.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    CPT Nervous makes a few good points, but I have definitely found a laser to be very handy in a few situations, and that's mostly when shooting from awkward unconventional positions or from cover. Another big one is with NVG's, but I doubt the OP is worried about that.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    It can be a bad thing, yes. Some people focus too much on the laser. How much force on force training have you had? I can say that I never used sights in any of them that I've done. I was focused entirely on the threat. There's no way I would have seen a laser. At the distances of most shootings, sights are largely unnecessary.
    How can you possibly not see the laser, it IS on the threat?? I seldom carry anything that doesn't have a laser. The only down side I can see is the cost of the laser.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock Armorer-M&P Armorer [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    How can you possibly not see the laser, it IS on the threat?? I seldom carry anything that doesn't have a laser. The only down side I can see is the cost of the laser.

[FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT]

I'm not looking at a dot. I'm looking at the whole threat, assessing. I don't have time to look at a dot.

Point shooting is faster, anyway. I think a laser is poor substitute for training.

Dkamm23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2015
    Osceola
    i agree that a laser isnt something you should rely on but you dont think it could be another tool in your toolbox in any situation?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    And beware laser grips if you are a lefty. When you draw and keep your finger properly indexed on the frame, the laser will strike your finger and not reach the target.

Luckily I realized that before I shelled out big bucks for one.

Yup, this is correct. As a fellow lefty, I opted to try Crimson TRace's Laserguard models on a Glock 27/23 a few years ago. This is the model that mounts to the bottom and front of the trigger guard, with the activation pad on the top finger groove. This was the best option for a lefty. I liked it, but I didn't love it. The slight offset (the bulk of the plastic itself, along the bottom of trigger guard) from the trigger guard was actually noticeable and annoying for me.

I think that Crimson trace makes great products though, and I wouldn't hesitate to get one of their backstrap style lasergrips, even if my trigger finger (if I rest it high and on the slide) might block the laser. The interface of the lasergrips (adds a bit of circumfrence to the grip) is less annoying than the laserguard - for me, at least.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    are there any models for lefties? or is there a gun that is better or worse for lefties with these grips?

Not that I have found. And trust me, I've looked. No love for us lefties.

This is the closest thing I have found, but Im not sure I trust the activation method...

https://www.lasermax.com/products#!guide-rod-lasers

These also seem nice, and you can get several vendors that will make their holsters with a magnet for its auto-on feature.

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/

EDIT: You can even buy a kit to add the magnet activator to whatever holster you already own for $15.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom