• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joleson00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2022
    Lowell
    I have a 454 that I reload in 240/300 gr xtp mag. I'm looking to start loading the heavier hard cast loads. Is there anything different I should be doing??

joleson00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2022
    Lowell
    Different from what? Are you starting from scratch with reloading or just a new load?
    Just starting with heavier lead and not using jacketed. I see the gas checks and all. I never loaded lead, so im kinda dumb in that aspect. I've reloaded for years and just never used lead before.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Just starting with heavier lead and not using jacketed. I see the gas checks and all. I never loaded lead, so im kinda dumb in that aspect. I've reloaded for years and just never used lead before.
    I mean, have you loaded other stuff or are you new to reloading entirely?

Nothing terribly exotic. Make sure the case is flared just enough (but not too much) or you'll shave the bullet (more of a problem with lead than jacketed). Hot loads need a sturdy crimp of course. Follow the published loads.

Reactions: Leo

joleson00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2022
    Lowell
    I mean, have you loaded other stuff or are you new to reloading entirely?

Nothing terribly exotic. Make sure the case is flared just enough (but not too much) or you'll shave the bullet (more of a problem with lead than jacketed). Hot loads need a sturdy crimp of course. Follow the published loads.
    Gotcha. I have many years of reloading, I always leaned away from lead. This 454 is big girl and feeding her isn't cheap... Just curious to give the heavier hard cast a go and steer away from the jacketed xtp's

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    The potential for barrel leading is the main drawback to using cast bullets. You should be aware of it but don't let it deter you. The faster you drive them, the more lead they can leave behind under the right conditions. This can be avoided or minimized by using bullets of the proper hardness, learning velocity limits through trial and error, and using bullets that match the throat diameter of your cylinder. Gas checks are another method used. It's an interesting topic and you can find lots of articles and information with a quick Google search. Also check out the cast bullet forums as they have tons of information.

If you do nothing else, start at the low end of the velocity range and work your way up, checking the barrel for signs of leading as you go.

Here is an article which covers the basics.

joleson00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2022
    Lowell
    The potential for barrel leading is the main drawback to using cast bullets. You should be aware of it but don't let it deter you. The faster you drive them, the more lead they can leave behind under the right conditions. This can be avoided or minimized by using bullets of the proper hardness, learning velocity limits through trial and error, and using bullets that match the throat diameter of your cylinder. Gas checks are another method used. It's an interesting topic and you can find lots of articles and information with a quick Google search. Also check out the cast bullet forums as they have tons of information.

If you do nothing else, start at the low end of the velocity range and work your way up, checking the barrel for signs of leading as you go.

Here is an article which covers the basics.

Thanks for your input, the both you. This is what I was looking for, pushing a lil hard and the leading issues that may come from it.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Thanks for your input, the both you. This is what I was looking for, pushing a lil hard and the leading issues that may come from it.
    I got some pin gauges and determined that the throats on my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt and S&W 686 .357 were both pretty tight and uneven from hole to hole. They were shaving the bullets down. I had the throats opened up to 0.4525 and 0.358 respectively and they both shoot better with less leading now.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It is pretty hard to beat the performance of those XTP bullets, but I understand what they cost these days. You mentioned gas checks. Those only install on bullets that were cast in molds designed to accept gas checks. Gas check bullets do work well calibers that are usually jacketed. I like some of the teflon or polymer coated cast bullets rather than the waxy smoked mess from conventional cast bullets, but again, they cost a little more.

If you are loading the cast bullets light, you could shoot modern 45 Colt loads and save that expensive 454 brass for the hotter loads. Are you shooting a Casull?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I cast most everything I shoot, rifle and pistol. For large stuff in the 45 pistol caliber range it's tough to beat the Lyman 452651 325 grain GC. It has two crimp points and a large grease groove.

More important than anything when shooting lead is to know your bore diameter. Lead bullets should always be a little larger than the bore diameter to get a good grip. Cylinder throats on a revolver can squeeze the bullet down and should be checked as was mentioned in an earlier post.

Gas checks do a good job of keeping the base of the bullet from being eaten up by large powder charges.

joleson00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2022
    Lowell
    It is pretty hard to beat the performance of those XTP bullets, but I understand what they cost these days. You mentioned gas checks. Those only install on bullets that were cast in molds designed to accept gas checks. Gas check bullets do work well calibers that are usually jacketed. I like some of the teflon or polymer coated cast bullets rather than the waxy smoked mess from conventional cast bullets, but again, they cost a little more.

If you are loading the cast bullets light, you could shoot modern 45 Colt loads and save that expensive 454 brass for the hotter loads. Are you shooting a Casull?
    Yes, I'm shooting a casull. The brass part isn't a problem, I stocked up years ago @ a 1500 show.

Reactions: Leo

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My only issue with 454 is the primers with the Ruger SRH. CCIs are intermittent at best and are most of what I have. I've just switched to 45 COlt brass and adjusted loads accordingly.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My only issue with 454 is the primers with the Ruger SRH. CCIs are intermittent at best and are most of what I have. I've just switched to 45 COlt brass and adjusted loads accordingly.
    How fast can you push 45colt brass in a 454 revolver without pressure signs?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    How fast can you push 45colt brass in a 454 revolver without pressure signs?

I don't have a number, but that and the Henry are what eat those 45Colt loads that go through deer lengthwise. I use Starline brass and that Lyman 452651, CCI Magnum primers and Lil gun powder.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't have a number, but that and the Henry are what eat those 45Colt loads that go through deer lengthwise. I use Starline brass and that Lyman 452651, CCI Magnum primers and Lil gun powder.
    How much powder do you use?
    I don't have a 45colt or 454 I'm just interested for educational purposes.

Top Bottom