Lake county, IN prohibiting discharge of firearms....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'm trying to attach the PDF, no luck. Anyway it was passed June 9, 2009. No discharge of a firearm in lake county "for target practice" within 1,000 feet of any residence.

Preemption Statutes:
    IC 35-47-11-1
    Applicability of chapter
    Sec. 1. (a) Section 2 of this chapter applies to all units (as defined in IC 36-1-2-23). All other sections of this chapter apply to all units other than townships.
    (b) This chapter applies only if a statute expressly grants a legislative body the authority to adopt an emergency ordinance under this chapter.
    (c) This chapter does not affect the validity of an ordinance adopted before, and in effect on, January 1, 1994.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.13.

IC 35-47-11-2
    Regulation of firearms by units other than townships
    Sec. 2. Notwithstanding IC 36-1-3, a unit may not regulate in any manner the ownership, possession, sale, transfer, or transportation of firearms (as defined in IC 35-47-1-5) or ammunition except as follows:
    (1) This chapter does not apply to land, buildings, or other real property owned or administered by a unit, except highways (as defined in IC 8-23-1-23) or public highways (as defined in IC 8-2.1-17-14).
    (2) Notwithstanding the limitation in this section, a unit may use the unit's planning and zoning powers under IC 36-7-4 to prohibit the sale of firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school by a person having a business that did not sell firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school before April 1, 1994.
    (3) Notwithstanding the limitation in this section, a legislative body of a unit other than a township may adopt an emergency ordinance or a unit other than a township may take other action allowed under section 6 of this chapter to regulate the sale of firearms anywhere within the unit for a period of not more than seventy-two (72) hours after the regulatory action takes effect.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.13.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Ah crap. Just used google map's distance measure tool and where I shoot is 989.470 ft from the nearest house. I wish that were a joke. Guess I'll just have to shoot 11 ft in front of the stalls.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Geniuses!

That will effectively stop all gun crimes in Lake County (except for pistol-whipping)

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So what current shooting ranges will this close down?

Does it apply to indoor ranges?

If I read it correctly, this is in violation of the state's pre-emption law and is unenforceable. They can control the properties they own or administer, but no other. That is, if you are on your own property, shooting into a safe berm, and not jeopardizing anyone else, you can effectively tell them to go pound sand. You may not beat the ride, but you should be able to beat the rap.

Of course, all standard disclaimers apply: IANAL, IDPOOTV, IDSIAHIELN, TINLA.

Blessings,
    Bill

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    But this doesn't do anything with "ownership, possession, sale, transfer, or transportation of firearms" so it may not...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I say we declare war on Chicago!
    And then install a impassable barrier at the state line...

No, haven't you seen any Snake Plisken movies? Escape from NY? Escape from LA? Well, how about Escape from Chicago!? Great big nasty lake on one side, the rest could have a 100ft concrete wall with razor wire... :D Let's allow the good citizens of IL, such as flagtag to be free of the tyranny that is Chicago.

:rockwoot:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    No, haven't you seen any Snake Plisken movies? Escape from NY? Escape from LA? Well, how about Escape from Chicago!? Great big nasty lake on one side, the rest could have a 100ft concrete wall with razor wire... :D Let's allow the good citizens of IL, such as flagtag to be free of the tyranny that is Chicago.

:rockwoot:

Nah, put that wall all around the whole city... make it two miles tall and 10 feet thick, reinforced concrete.

Then fill it with water.
    smiley-mean.jpg

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Nah, put that wall all around the whole city... make it two miles tall and 10 feet thick, reinforced concrete.

Then fill it with water.
    smiley-mean.jpg

I got a better idea. Call it a "Training Camp" for jihad, give it about 3 weeks, then just pound the city with B-52s until nothing is left standing. Recycle the ruble, clean it up, and turn it into a Habitat Preservation Area until it grows back normally. Once the scared animals come back, we could turn it into a great big conservation club! :D

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Um, if Lake County went to IL and Chicago, guess what guys! Instead of one IN county bordering on Chicago, you'd have THREE!!!

I see the braincells are active today!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You guys are all mean regarding Chicago and LAKE County, IN.
    I'm biased here as I was born and grew up in LAKE County before leaving & now live in LAKE County and work in Chicago. In any case yes we have a ton of corruption here that will never be eradicated fully but don't write us off.

This county is ripe for being educated on guns and being able to lower it's own crime rate provided the people actually get a good leader. One that would not surcome to the corruption. When I talk to people about 2A and guns many agree that it's our right but many have no clue where to go to even get started.

Sadly LAKE county (northern part at least) has very limited areas to learn about guns.

Top Bottom