• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I recently bought these Glow-In-The-Dark Knife Scales for my Ontario RAT-3 knife. So far I really love them and thought I'd give a little review and post some pics.

The scales replaced easily the stock Micarta handles on my RAT-3 fixed blade. The texture of the scales are very similar to the Micarta. If anything, they perhaps a little more grip to them. I'll try to post some up close pics, but overall I would say the texture is comparable. The don't get too slippery when wet. So far, I haven't gotten them too dirty or muddy. The instructions say clean them with a "Magic Eraser" cleaning pad and one was even included with the purchase.

The fit and finish in my opinion was at least as good as the Micarta scales.

Here is the knife prior to the new scale installation.

RAT3.jpg

Here they are on the RAT-3. They fit into the sheath just perfectly.

RAT3withKryptoglowScales.jpg

Here they are in a "low light situation"...

RAT3withKryptoglowLowLight.jpg

And in a "no light" situation...(I noticed after I took the photo the "dim" spot in the top of the handle due to where the lanyard was lying over the scales in the daylight while it was charging.)

RAT3withKryptoglowNoLight.jpg

They definitely glow for some time after being charged in natural sunlight or via light bulbs. I haven't done an effective test to see exactly how bright or how long they stay. I think they are excellent for camping as well.

I'll be happy to give the email contact information if you PM me, but I am in no way connected to this seller except that I love the product. Their less than complete website shows they make them for the BK2, ESEE, RAT, Kershaw, and other knife manufactures and shows plans for gun grips and flashlight rings. Here it is:

Kabar Becker - KRYPTOGLOW

You an also find them on eBay, where I found mine. Here the Kryptoglow store on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/kryptoglow/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I love the product and thought I'd pass it along...

Last edited:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    They might fit the ESEE 3 too. :dunno: Not sure as I do not deal with any Ontario products. I hope they do cause they are really cool and if so I will try to carry them.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    They might fit the ESEE 3 too. :dunno: Not sure as I do not deal with any Ontario products. I hope they do cause they are really cool and if so I will try to carry them.

If you end up carrying them, and they make a set for the ESEE 4,5, or Izula, let me know. I'd love to try out a set! (just as soon get them from you as ebay)

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Knife Lady, that'd be awesome to see you carry those. I'll PM you shortly with the direct email address.

They do have them for the Izula, ESEE 3/4, and Junglas.

I may add them to my RTAK II but I thought I'd field test them a little longer.

It is cool because they also come in glow-in-the-dark purple/blue, the green I have, and a light/ice blue color. There are also not glow-in-the-dark ones.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    these are pretty wild. i checked at the website though and it doesn't appear any of the esee stuff is available yet. only the kabar shows up for sale

Yeah, I talked to the guy over email when I got mine. The website is not finished yet. All of the ESEE and other items, including some pretty cool 1911 grips are on eBay for the time being.

Here's the link to the eBay store:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/kryptoglow/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Last edited:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Izula with Krytoglow

I promise this will be the last glow-in-the-dark thing I post for a while...I solemnly swear it...:rolleyes:

However, I just got the blue glow scales for my Izula...thought I'd show the pics...

They're not as bright as the green ones in the darkness, but I kind of like the subtleness better.

On my bag in daylight...
    IzulaDaylightOnBag.jpg

In daylight...
    IzulaScalesDaylight.jpg

In darkness from the face and then side...
    IzulaScalesGlowing.jpg

IzulaScalesSideGlowing.jpg

I'm like a kid with these things...:rockwoot:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The neighbor kid called a bit ago with a doe to be field dressed. The RC-4 made quick work of things, but working under flashlight, a set of these scales would have been great.

More than once the knife "disappeared" while laying on the ground. Once I kicked it with a rubber boot. Another time I was pulling innards out towards the blade on the ground.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i didn't see it listed, on the site, but does it say what material it ACTUALLY is? the only reason i ask is because typically the GITD SCALES are pretty brittle, ie: if dropped, they break or chip. shadetree was making some with pieces of moonglow/epoxy that are more impact resistant.

i LOVE moonglow and the similiar products. they are so cool. the SAKs in moonglow are just plain awesome. and micheal burch's knives with MG are ALWAYS spectacular!

Top Bottom