• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clearwat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Planning on going to the Knob Creek event in April with my wife for the first time. I have looked over their website and searched this one. Any hints or tips? No, I do not have 4WD, will be in the mini-van. Hopefully the weather is dry. Just any general advice would be appreciated. I know, bring lots of cash :)

Just made a trip down to Mobile, AL and back so driving past the signs on I-65 peaked our interest.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Planning on going to the Knob Creek event in April with my wife for the first time. I have looked over their website and searched this one. Any hints or tips? No, I do not have 4WD, will be in the mini-van. Hopefully the weather is dry. Just any general advice would be appreciated. I know, bring lots of cash :)

• If you stay into the late afternoon (or certainly for the night shoot), bring a sweatshirt or coat; it can get cold as the sun starts to go down.

• If you want to rent a gun or take a chopper ride, better sign up first thing; slots fill extremely quickly.

• Eye and ear pro are a must if you're watching on the line; ear pro is still a good idea even if you're in the pole barn (gun show) while the shooting is going on.

• Wear comfortable footwear; you'll be doing a lot of walking.

• Take a backpack or something to put literature and other goodies in.

• Go back to your car for a picnic lunch rather than standing in line and paying too much to eat at the venue.

Have fun!

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    If it's raining, been raining, or forecast to rain and you don't have 4WD, park on the road, and walk back. You'll not regret it.

Bring a pack or something to carry stuff in. There are lots of guys on 4-wheelers who'll caddy you out if you buy ammo or heavy stuff. A camera is good, video you have to pay a $5.00 fee for a tag so you won't sell it, with today's phone cameras and all I don't know why they mess with it, but there is a lot about them I don't understand, and I have been going since spring of 1992.

It's worth it to go, it's s good time, but like 521 says, much walking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    If it's raining, been raining, or forecast to rain and you don't have 4WD, park on the road, and walk back. You'll not regret it.

A few years ago (at the April shoot) I drove a 1986 Ford Festiva to the shoot and parked in the grass...uh..er mud lot. That was after it had rained for a week. The little Festiva sat about 4 inches off the ground. It was like playing Frogger....jumping from lilly pad to lilly pad. Didn't get stuck though. :D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Eyes and ears.

I like to get there early and leave early.

Get there a day early and take in the Patton Museum (museum now has no guns signs up and guards at gates unlike old days).

Patton Museum Online: Official General George S. Patton Jr. Museum featuring Memorabilia & History

Check out US Cav. Sometimes you can score deals. I have some great gear from there back when they were in the white building on the hillside. Used to always have a boot sale in the old days. US Cav is now in the old Winn Dixie:

U.S. Cavalry: U.S. Cavalry Military Catalog Features Five Fort Knox Soldiers

Bring a gas mask bag or pack. Bring water.

If it has been raining, I always wear gaiters as that clay will work itself up over your boots.

Bring a camera. Relax and have fun.:)

*Oh, yeah, the Shoney's were we used to go to breakfast is gone (it's now a Mexican restaurant). Sigh, so much for traditions.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    It has been quite a few years since I have been there. The night shoot for me is a must see. It makes the long trip worth it.
    At that time they had parking on high ground for us 2WD people. But, like it has been said the place can become a mud bog.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Most time the wife and I go to every shoot spring and fall
    Havent been to the last few ...If its been raining as it has for the last 3 shoots you better love mud ..

I just stay away myself ...

If you are going for the first time the night shoot is a MUST SEE ...
    if your going to buy go early on friday morning , if your going to just watch or want to rent a machine gun go on saturday , as they dont allow rental on friday ??,
    And yes bring your own cooler full of picanic type food , you dont want to pay the HIGH prices for what the serve ..:patriot:

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Stay away from the grass parking if there is even a chance of rain....these guys aren't kidding at all. I pulled a stuck 4x4 out of the mud last fall.

And stay for the night shoot!:yesway:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Stay for the night shoot... and take a garbage bag and an extra set of shoes in case its muddy for the drive home.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009

Just made a trip down to Mobile, AL and back so driving past the signs on I-65 peaked our interest.

Uh, you need to get there EARLY and pretend that the wife has some ailment which requires you to park on the top of the hill so you're not TRAPPED in the MUD PIT. Trust me, been three times, once in April, twice in October. You NEED the top of the hill. Secondly, if you carry, they're going to want to zip-tie it. Eff that noise, just don't tell them you have one on you. If you bring a camera, be sure to tell them that it does NOT have video capability, or they WILL charge you an extra five bucks for a VIDEO PASS, even if you do NOT take videos. Bring large tote bags for small purchases. Do NOT forget to bring ear protection. Eye protection is also recommended, as it can get pretty dusty out there even when it's dry. Bring shoes/boots that you do not mind getting dirty - as they WILL get dirty.

And that's about all I can think of.

Enjoy, it's a BLAST. Particularly the night shoot.

Clearwat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks guys. We are planning on staying for the night shoot. How many hours roughly does it take to stroll the grounds? Just trying to determine what time to get there to try to take it all in before the night shoot starts.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks guys. We are planning on staying for the night shoot. How many hours roughly does it take to stroll the grounds? Just trying to determine what time to get there to try to take it all in before the night shoot starts.

Me and the ex-fiancee got there at 9 in the morning; left at nine at night.
    As for the show, three hours to peruse all the vendors, an hour for lunch at the car.... each shoot is worth seeing if you can, and that's fifteen minutes of almost every hour. Night shoots are impressive, and there's three, I believe, but they don't start until it gets dark. The last show is supposedly the most impressive, but I didn't feel like getting log-jammed on the way out of there, so we left right before the last show. As it was, getting back to the car was still a nightmare. Getting in took about an hour from the main road, it was THAT jam-packed with people. So, either get there mid-day or well before 9 a.m., I should say.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I went last year it was a great one time thing, If your not in great shape remember it is a LOT of walking, especially if you park on the road. I saw people that easily walked 3 miles or more to get in mostly uphill, now I know that doesn't really sound all that far, but unless your used to doing that with a pack on you might be in for a surprise.

MrFive

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    LOL@ 4x4

A few years ago it was so bad that gravel road to lower parking was like a waterbed flexing under the weight of vehicles. Plus bunch of diesels were stuck in the mud and our little 2WD Trail Blazer got out just fine.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    How about a meet up? I'm usually there every spring and fall. Not a far drive from the SW tip of Indiana.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Go EARLY so as to get a somewhat decent parking spot and wear clothes that can get dirty. Only 2 conditions at KCR mud or dust.

Chuck

nrar15

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Attica
    I like to go and camp when I have time. Lots of mud have been pulled in and out of the lower lot before. But thats all part of the fun everything goes on no matter what the weather. As long as the water does not get too high. Great time have never run into an ******* in all the years of going. My only vacation of twice a year. You will see stuff you will not see anywhere else.

Top Bottom