• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Please correct me if I am wrong on this.... For states that have blade length laws, I interpret them to only matter if you intend to commit a crime with the knife. Or, do the laws come into play if you carry it on your person concealed? Nowhere in any state or municipal laws have I actually read that it is a felony or misdemeanor to possess said knife. Am I missing something?

Can I walk around in Chicago or Kentucky with a 4" blade in my pocket as long as I don't intend to commit a crime with it?

Is it illegal to walk down Michigan Avenue after I purchased an 8" Henkels chefs knife at Macy's?

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    I'm familiar with that pdf, as well as the Knife Laws of the 50 States website. What I am saying is that I have not actually found a document that says that possessing a knife of a certain length is a misdemeanor or felony. The state/municipal documents define "dangerous weapons", and usually knives of a certain length are lumped into that, but nowhere does it say that said "dangerous weapons" are in fact illegal.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I see what you're saying...

Kind of like possessing a knife/firearm at the time a crime is committed, even if you don't use said knife/firearm, will just heap more troubles upon you.

Just wish I could help with your question, but I can't.

Keep in mind that the myriad patchwork laws that are set up within each state, county, and town that chances are great that you'll break some kind of law just by getting out of bed in the morning. Hyperbole, yes....but you get the point.

-J-

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    They could argue that they are "readily convertible?" :D I'm guessing like a lot of other things, it is at the discretion of the investigating officer to decide whether your intent was malicious and arrest you thusly. Many laws such as that are intended to be catch-alls, such as disorderly conduct.

Top Bottom