• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    I got lost, and this is my first foray in starting a thread to the knives area of INGO. :D

I come to seek advice. I'm in the market for a new knife set for the kitchen.

What do INGO'ers like?

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    if you can find stuff that wasn't made in China, go for it. Menckels used to be a good brand, but its made in china... if you can find Menckels that was made in germany, go for it.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I have, almost, the complete set of Gerber Balance Plus knives, (Pre Fiskars) that I acquired over the years as Christmas presents from my Mother.
    Unfortunately they are no longer made but can still be found for sale on the Internet.
    They are the finest Kitchen knives that I've owned. :)
    I also have several J.A. Henkels, and Wusthof steel blades and have recently acquired a couple of Kyocera Ceramic knives that I will put through their paces in the near future.
    Kitchen knives are like firearms in the respect that you need to pick ones that fit your hand, and are easy for you to control. ;)

El T

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Fishers
    I just got a Wusthof Chef's knife for christmas and it seems like a really good knife. Did some kitchen work with it this weekend and it was so nice to not have to hone between tasks.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Side bar:

Cook's Illustrated magazine does reliable reviews of kitchen equipment. They tell it like it is and often the results are not what you'd expect.

They review knives often, so keep an eye out for it at the store.

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    While I prefer Wusthof personally; the best advice I can offer is to not buy a "set" of knives. Take your time and figure out which ones you will use most. Spend the savings on good storage for them - please don't just toss them in a drawer!! I have a collection of knives that I use regularly and I've never seen my particular combo offered in a set.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    While I prefer Wusthof personally; the best advice I can offer is to not buy a "set" of knives. Take your time and figure out which ones you will use most. Spend the savings on good storage for them - please don't just toss them in a drawer!! I have a collection of knives that I use regularly and I've never seen my particular combo offered in a set.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^
    I acquired my knives one at a time choosing the ones that I knew would get used regularly.
    I keep them on Mag Na Bar Knife racks screwed to the cupboard.
    I've filled four of the 12" magnet racks so far and am looking for a spot for another one.
    Also, invest in a good sharpener/honing tool.
    I've used Crock Sticks (Now owned by Lansky) for over thirty years and they keep my knives razor sharp. :)
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...=lmIDT4fINOrr0gHq8f3CAg&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQ8wIwAA#

Doty

At peace
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I love Cutco. You can even get a nice set on payments with no interest. They are also under warranty for life no matter who owns them. You cannot go wrong with these.

trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    I use the Cold Steel kitchen knives at work, they seem to get "lost" before they get dull. One knife out of the set has stuck around for two years, and is still sharp enough to accidentally cut of a finger. I'm planning to clean out my knife drawer and get a set for my wife....no, really, it's for my wife, honest!

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide

^^^ Couldn't agree more. I love to cook and culinary knives have turned into a sickness for me. Literary! I've sold firearms to buy culinary knives. Take your time and do your research. Learn about the different metals and how they take to sharpening. Go to a shop and hold them and feel how the tangs and handle line up in your hands.

Here are some of my favorite you might want to look into.
    Aritsugu, Asai Damascus, Glestain, Haslinger, Hattori FH,Hattori HD, Hattori KD, MAC, Masamoto, Misono Mizuno Tanrenjyo, Moritaka, Murray Carter, Nenohi, Nenox, Ryusen Blazen, Shigefusa Suminagashi
    Shun Ken Onion, Shun Pro, Sugimoto, Suisin,Takeda, Yoshikane

block2p.jpg

wallknives.jpg

blockknives.jpg

Here are a few of my favorites.

Hattori KD 240 Gytuo
    attorikd240shine.jpg

Nenohi Ao-ko Kasumi Kiritsuke 270mm
    nenohiaokokiritsuke2.jpg

Ao-ko Hayate 300mm
    161cvf.jpg

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Another Cutco fan here. I used to sell them about ten years ago and I still get compliments to this day from past customers.

They are pricey, but IMO they are worth it.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    ^^^ Couldn't agree more. I love to cook and culinary knives have turned into a sickness for me. Literary! I've sold firearms to buy culinary knives. Take your time and do your research. Learn about the different metals and how they take to sharpening. Go to a shop and hold them and feel how the tangs and handle line up in your hands.

Aritsugu, Asai Damascus, Glestain, Haslinger, Hattori FH,Hattori HD, Hattori KD, MAC, Masamoto, Misono Mizuno Tanrenjyo, Moritaka, Murray Carter, Nenohi, Nenox, Ryusen Blazen, Shigefusa Suminagashi

block2p.jpg

wallknives.jpg

blockknives.jpg

Hattori KD 240 Gytuo
    attorikd240shine.jpg

nenohiaokokiritsuke2.jpg

Ao-ko Hayate 300mm
    161cvf.jpg

you got one hell of a kitchen knife collection sir. I got to stop buying big choppers and focus some on my kitchen knives lol

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World

block2p.jpg

wallknives.jpg

blockknives.jpg

Hattori KD 240 Gytuo
    attorikd240shine.jpg

nenohiaokokiritsuke2.jpg

Ao-ko Hayate 300mm
    161cvf.jpg

:drool:

You sir have one HELL of a knife set. I am envious.

To the OP it all depends on what you want to spend. I have Cutco knives and the are great. I have some older and newer knives that woundedyak has in his collection. As with any knife good steel is not cheep. I am a buy once Cry once kind of guy. You can actually get good knives at a restaurant supply store as well.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    when i worked in a meat packing house they did all their cutting with Forschner Knives.....i would reccomend that whatever you get, no dishwasher, storing in a good wooden block or on a magnetic rail and touching up the edges with a good steel as needed.

Top Bottom