• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    For a while I've been thinking I want a 1911, and still really do. But in thinking about my overall aresenal's strategic position (nice contrast to "tactical" :D), I'm thinking that staying with a 9mm caliber for my next pistol would be more ideal. That way I don't have to stock a few thousand rounds of .45 along with the stash I have in about 7 or 8 other calibers.

So, I've been looking a bit at full size 9mms. There are of course Glocks, Sigs, 1911 style pistols in 9mm, and a few others. But the Beretta 92 has really caught my eye, as well as the Taurus clones of it.

Many of the posts I've read on the Beretta really sing its praises. And it should be no surprise, since the military uses the same basic gun as the M9.

What about the Taurus? Is it any good? I realize that may open a war of sorts, but I would still like to know what you guys that have shot them think.

As an aside, I have a couple of Tauri (is that the correct plural of Taurus?) in my collection, and really like them. So, I'm not really needed to be sold on the brand, more just on that particular model.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    If you want a Beretta, get the Beretta. If you have the $$$ why get the clone? You'll always wish you had the original.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    is the beretta better? probably. is the pt92a good gun? hell yes. based on all i have read, the pt92/99 is the best semi-auto taurus makes (seeing as how they made the berettas for a while). i havent read a post by any pt92/99 owners who have said they suck (except for bad sights on the 99).

fwiw, i have the 99 and love it. great gun for the money.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I don't really have and idea of the Beretta is any better than the Taurus. But, the Taurus is a copy. There's just something about having the original.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    If you have the extra money buy the Beretta. I've had the Taurus and though there are many after market accessories for it the one I had was not very accurate. I even added adjustable sights and a different barrel and still no accuracy. Could have just been mine but you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    Beretta 92FS. Buy it. I love mine and my friend loved mine so much he bought one. He even liked the Hogue Grips enough to get them too!
    S5030235-2.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    They are sharp with those Hogue Grips on them.

Quick question about features and differences. From what I've seen, the Beretta safety is on the slide, and flips down (as shown in the pic) for "Safe" and is flipped up for "Fire." The Taurus safety is fram mounted, and appears to be the opposite. Up for "Safe" and down for "Fire."

If that is correct, I'm wondering if I had the Beretta if I would have trouble with the safety in a tense situation. My current carry gun is a PT111, and the safety flips down for "fire." Part of my routine now is to un-holster, and in the process flip the safety off with my thumb as I grip.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Both are good guns and will give good service, But the fit and finish on the Beretta is allot better than on the taurus, hence the more it costs you, I do like the decocker on the Taurus better than on my 92 because you dont have to change your grip to use it.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    After having them in the army, i had to get one. Get the Beretta and dont look back. IndyVet had one for sale on consignment. Love the 1911's too though.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    They are sharp with those Hogue Grips on them.

Quick question about features and differences. From what I've seen, the Beretta safety is on the slide, and flips down (as shown in the pic) for "Safe" and is flipped up for "Fire." The Taurus safety is fram mounted, and appears to be the opposite. Up for "Safe" and down for "Fire."

If that is correct, I'm wondering if I had the Beretta if I would have trouble with the safety in a tense situation. My current carry gun is a PT111, and the safety flips down for "fire." Part of my routine now is to un-holster, and in the process flip the safety off with my thumb as I grip.

personally i think the safety is the one thing that taurus does better than beretta. ymmv.

one thing i dont like about my pt99 is the DA trigger. if its cocked and locked, the trigger is nice. but with the hammer down....ick.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    After having them in the army, i had to get one. Get the Beretta and dont look back. IndyVet had one for sale on consignment. Love the 1911's too though.

Yeah, I saw that in the WTS's earlier. Part of what prompted my interest and research into them in a bit more detail.

Ohh, decisions, decisions. I guess the easy part right now is that I don't have the money saved up to afford either, so I'll have some time to think about it a bit. Just need to see how many pennies I have to save before I get my next "fix." :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    is the beretta better? probably. is the pt92a good gun? hell yes. based on all i have read, the pt92/99 is the best semi-auto taurus makes (seeing as how they made the berettas for a while). i havent read a post by any pt92/99 owners who have said they suck (except for bad sights on the 99).

fwiw, i have the 99 and love it. great gun for the money.

The Taurus safety is up for safety on, down for safety off, and you can push it further down to decock. I think this way is superior to the slide mounted safeties, but it's not that much of a difference because I don't carry DA autos safety on anyway.

That's the only thing better about the Taurus', though. They are great guns, I've owned several with tens of thousands of rounds through them, but they aren't as good as the Berettas. The Berettas are smoother, more accurate, have better triggers, feel better, and look better, IMHO. The price difference isn't as large as it once was, and even when it was bigger I still thought the Berettas were worth the extra money. If you've got the extra money, I say Beretta. If the money is an obstacle, you'll be very well served indeed with a Taurus.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Before you buy either, shoot one. For people with smaller hands the grips are simply fat and uncomfortable.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Before you buy either, shoot one. For people with smaller hands the grips are simply fat and uncomfortable.

My hands are on the larer size (Large or XL glove size), but that is a good suggestion. How does it compare to the size of a 1911 grip? One of the reason's I really like the 1911 is that it seems to fit my hand perfectly.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I have larger hands and fingers. Thats why i love the larger frame pistols. Beretta 92's, 1911's and such. There are many different types of grips you can put on them to make them more comfortable but i love the feel of it just the way it is.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If you don't like, or are afraid you would mess up in a hot situation, get the 92G. That is a decock only. If that bothers you that much, get the 92D, double action only, no safety or decocker.

If the fixed front sight bothers you, look around for the 92 Brigadier. Harder to find, but they have adjustable front and rear sights.

Beretta makes or made 92s in so many variation you can find virtually anything. They even made a single stack version with a thinner grip, the Type M. To date I have documented 70 different 92s not counting the ones made in Italy versus USA.

The only major diffences between the newer 92FS and the M9 is the frame of the M9 is the first generation 92FS frame, straight dust cover versus tapered, and no extra radius in the back strap. The only other major difference is the roll markings for the government vs we the people.

As for size, that is something you are going to have to try by fondling one. I have small hands and have no problem with the very large grips on the 92 series.

As for the Taurus, they are a bit less expensive, and if you compare the two side by side there are some visual differences that make it look like the Taurus is of lesser quality, but in reality I think that is only in the eye of the beholder and not the pistol.

One thing the Taurus has over Beretta is factory service. Beretta has a reputation for being a pain to deal with, hard to get to answer the phone, and slow on repairs.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I'd go with the Beretta. An Italian or US made combat pistol. The Taurus is a South American (Brazil, I believe) copy.
    I feel that fit and finish are important in any gun that I buy. There are obvious differences between the fit and finish of the Taurus and the Beretta.
    The 92 has a rather large grip, even compared to the 1911. I find it to be quite comfortable to shoot, but people with short fingers might find it difficult to hold on to.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    As far as comparing the grip size of a 1911 versus a PT92, remember that the 1911 is a single stack and the Beretta/Taurus is a double stack. I prefer a single stack. I always go with the smallest backstrap on all the guns that have multiple back straps.

I have a Taurus 99. It's a good shooter, and a good value for the money.

I have a Beretta State Police issue .40. I can tell the difference in quality between the two I own, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Taurus, for the right price.

If money is no object, I'd go with the Beretta. If you want to spend $350-$400 instead of $600, go with the Taurus.

m2steven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    The Taurus 92 AFS which I have has an almost 1911 quality trigger and is accurate as any 9mm I own. They are super nice, well made, and beautiful. They are well balanced and shoot and hold great. GET ONE!!

(i realise i just complimented the beretta, but hey, the truth is the truth).

Top Bottom