• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I shot a 45 for the first time today. I decided to take a entire mag to get used to the recoil but the remington rand I was shooting kicked less than the snubby 38 that I shot that day. The 45 is a fun gun to shoot but where did all this talk about heavy recoil come from?

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Recoil of any type just means you are having a good day. I felt the same way about the G21 I ran for a while.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I shot a 45 for the first time today. I decided to take a entire mag to get used to the recoil but the remington rand I was shooting kicked less than the snubby 38 that I shot that day. The 45 is a fun gun to shoot but where did all this talk about heavy recoil come from?

No clue. I've never heard anybody say .45 has a heavy recoil. :dunno:
    In fact, it's the reason why I lurve it so stinkin' much! :)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What were you shooting? You will get less recoil the longer the barrel and heavier the gun. That is why I love my 1911 so much; it can throw a 230 grn round down range without moving much.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    What were you shooting? You will get less recoil the longer the barrel and heavier the gun. That is why I love my 1911 so much; it can throw a 230 grn round down range without moving much.
    I don't know the load. A friend of my dads invited us out to his duck lease and he just so happened to bring his 1911 along. My dad is just looking for a spring kit for his surplus ones because he doesn't wanna crack the receiver. I think I should start saving my money to buy a 45 or build one

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There really is not much recoil in a full size 1911 when shooting normal pressure ammo. The recoil that is felt is much softer, almost push like, than many other guns have. If you were shooting a small 38, you probably will feel more recoil in it since there's not much mass to absorb the recoil.

I'm not sure where you were getting your info from, but I don't think the 1911 is known for having a big kick. Good to see that you got to shoot one today though. I have not shot a Remington Rand before, but imagine it's on par with my Springfield Mil-Spec. Nice guns.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    We went to the range Saturday & I got to shoot my 357 magnum for the first time. Everyone had expected the recoil to knock my on my butt because I am petite. I think the 357 has less bite than the snubby 38 special or the S&W 380 Bodyquard I also fired. I also got to shoot my son's Mosin Nagant, that had bite! I had to stretch to shoot from the shoulder with it. The sound was awesome though.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    We went to the range Saturday & I got to shoot my 357 magnum for the first time. Everyone had expected the recoil to knock my on my butt because I am petite. I think the 357 has less bite than the snubby 38 special or the S&W 380 Bodyquard I also fired. I also got to shoot my son's Mosin Nagant, that had bite! I had to stretch to shoot from the shoulder with it. The sound was awesome though.
    Wait mosins have kick?

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville

1911s are known for stopping power, but not so much for recoil. You hear a lot of people talking about how the .45acp is like the end all of calibers. Maybe in your head after reading all the talk, you psyched yourself up for something that just wasn't gonna happen.

retyree98

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Usually when you hear someone complain about the 45 recoil, they are moving up from a 9mm. Even then it's a combination or the recoil and the extra noise together that contribute to the perception that it kicks too hard.
    retyree

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

What make/model gun were you shooting. I had an SP101 quite a few years back and with full power, Federal 125 gr .357 loads it was a bit of a beast. Same load in a 6" revolver such as Colt King Cobra I had, was not an issue due to size of gun, grip, barrel weight, balance of gun, etc.

a .45 has much less recoil then most .40's

Also, in my opinion, like others have said, my .45's (Glock 21 and Glock 30) recoil much less than my subcompact Glock 27 in .40. Now that is not apples to apples on size of guns, but the .40 has what I would consider significantly more perceived recoil, at least between those guns.

.45 is pretty mild in most semi autos I have shot.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom