• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Needmorammo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Columbus
    I have one and love it. It cycles great with 124 gr ammo, doesn't matter if fmj or hp. I have fired 115 gr ammo, but get an occasional FTE due to not enough force to cycle the slide completely. It's not a problem for me to just use 124 gr. The gun is EXtremely accurate even at 25-35 yards, points naturally, and completely disappears with a crossbreed mini tuck. I have no regrets over this purchase.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    If you want a pistol that is not ammo sensitive, depend your life on, with higher capacity, buy a Glock 9mm. IMO the best gun on the market in that price range (and many much higher) and you could take the money saved and buy more ammo.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    Thank you The Glks do not fit my hand. I carry Shield 9mm and either my XDs 9/45acp. Just liked the looks of the Solo. Need- do you shoot your reloads, lead or jacketed?

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I currently carry the shield also, and considered the solo before buying the shield. After reading Kimbers own recommendation not to use different types of ammo I did further research. After reading all the people having the gun jam, I moved on to the shield. I don't want a gun that is ammo sensitive. I suppose if one weight worked reliably and it was the best carry gun I ever held I might reconsider, but I prefer one that will digest anything I feed it.

sca1985

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    I have one as well. I purchased Winchester Train 147gr and paid $0.30/rd for the ammo. Little higher than the standard 115gr, but if you purchase a high end gun you should be willing to put good ammo through. I have not had any issues with this ammo. Have not tried any 115gr. Also another recommendation from Kimber is to replace the recoil spring after 1000 rounds.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    I don't have a lot of experience with Solo's but every one I've fired (3 or 4 different guns) has jammed on me, including the one brought by a Kimber rep. to a demo shoot.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    kimber says at least 124 grain, if you can find heavier it will(should) work, but i know a guy who has never had a problem with 115 grain fmj

but you have to get a FIRM grip on it! the solo is very "weak wrist sensitive", dont try to one hand it, get a firm two hand hold(wrap one hand around the other grip), dont cup and saucer it!

cmstuard

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I bought one after I shot my dad's solo. I really liked the feel of it. After vetting it with a few hundred rounds and three range trips, it is now my CCW. It replaced my G26 because I wanted a 9mm pocket pistol, but wasn't willing to go to a 380 as my every day carry. I have no issue shooting 115 grain in it...even PMC, which is weak IMO. I like the trigger and safety on it. It would be nice if the trigger reset was a little more notable. I needed a manual safety due to the pocket carry requirement. Sights are ok, but would really like to upgrade with Kimbers night sights. Magazines are well built and finish is holding up well on the gun. I had a small problem with my front sight moving after about 100 rounds...would have to tap it back over. Sent it to Kimber and they corrected. One thing most people don't know is that even though it is a little wider than the S&W Bodyguard, the Solo fits in their holsters. The Bodyguard and the Solo are very similar as far as height and length. The down sides to the pistol is that it's heavier than other pocket pistols (expected), is a little snappy with hot loads (expected), recommended 1,000 round recoil spring replacement (know and costs about $35) and mag release is stiff (preferred due to pocket carry). Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones and have no plans on changing...and I'm a :bowdown:Glock guy.

Last edited:

Needmorammo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Columbus
    I shoot jacketed or plated . Mostly new although I have fired my own reloads with no problem. I agree with using a firm grip so as to not "limp wrist". Overall very satisfied with the solo.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Three things about the Solo I did not like:

1. Hard to hold onto while shooting rapidly. Shifted around a lot. The new one with serrations on the front and back straps might be better.
    2. Trigger is unique. While not a bad trigger, it is very different from anything else I had ever tried and would take some getting used to.
    3. A ROYAL pain in the ARSE to take that gun apart and put it back together again. I mean you will work up a sweat. No fun at all.

I carry a full size Kimber 1911 these days. It works for me.

Top Bottom