• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    I've decided my next purchase is going to be a Kimber 1911. I continue to hear great things and I'm already a huge 1911 fan. Mostly plan to use for CC and range shooting. Only problem is I'm not familiar with the models and their strengths and weaknesses. Looking for opinions on what Kimber models would fit the bill for me. Already carry a full size 1911 so this one will likely need to be a compact, but not subcompact. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    The full size Kimbers are called Custom, the middle size are Pro (which is a 4" barrel on a full size frame), then they have a compact size (which has a 4" barrel on a officer size frame), and lastly there is a Ultra size (which is a 3" barrel on an officer's size frame).

They have different models with all steel frames and they have models that have aluminum frames.

The models that have II behind their name are the ones that have the Swartz safety (firing pin safety), the ones that don't have that behind their name don't have that safety (but still have the thumb safety, and grip safety)

Kimber has a LOT of different models and it really depends on what you want. You need to go on their web site and decide which features you like.

I have a Tactical Ultra II and a TLE Custom II (which I haven't had the chance to shoot yet :crying:).

My Tactical Ultra II is my main off duty carry gun and I love it. It's easy to conceal, very accurate, light weight, and very reliable. I've had it for over 3yrs now and have to qualify with it annually (plus all the range shooting for fun time). It has never failed me and I trust with my life and my families lives.

Good luck to you and make sure you post what you get (with pics).

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I like them, for me personally I like the tactical Pro II as a carry slash range combo :twocents:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Having owned full size and all steel compacts, my next carry pistol in a 1911 will be the Kimber Pro CDP:

Kimber - Continuing The Legacy: CDP II

Full size grip and magazine, 4" barrel and slide, night sights, alloy frame.... all goodness for concealed carry!!! And I really like the two tone finish also.

If you do find a used Kimber II and have issues, they will replace the slide with an internal extractor version. I had 3 series IIs and 1 was sent back for this slide replacement.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    I have a first generation custom full sized and a Ultra Carry compact second generation. Both guns have zero problems and are far more accurate than I am. I suggest you shoot one or several and clean one after the range time. I think you will see that they are tight, well built weapons. I would look very hard at a Pro length Kimber since it is a nice compromise in size.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I actually like the older models better, however,
    DO NOT buy a used Kimber with the external extractor.
    There were problems with those.

Came across a used Grand raptor a week or two ago for $900 with the external extractor. Got all excited about it until I had it in my hand and realized it had the EE on it. Thought I had hit a jackpot for a second.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Having owned full size and all steel compacts, my next carry pistol in a 1911 will be the Kimber Pro CDP:

Kimber - Continuing The Legacy: CDP II

Full size grip and magazine, 4" barrel and slide, night sights, alloy frame.... all goodness for concealed carry!!! And I really like the two tone finish also.

If you do find a used Kimber II and have issues, they will replace the slide with an internal extractor version. I had 3 series IIs and 1 was sent back for this slide replacement.

Love mine.

kimber2px3.jpg

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    If it is primarily to be a carry gun, I would recommend a 4" alloy frame, like the Pro Tactical I carry.

If it is to be primarily a range or home defense gun, I would recommend a 5" steel frame, like an Eclipse Custom or an Eclipse Target.

In my opinion a 4" steel frame can get heavy if you carry it all day. I like the extra weight in a 5" gun for the range.

Go to kimberamerica.com, or find a master dealer, and take a look at the different models and their price ranges. Pick the one that suits you best. Take it home and clean and lube it first. Get some good mags, like Wilson Combat or Chip McCormack. Break it in right with some good ammo. Some guns have a 500 round break-in period. Some are good right out of the box. And enjoy. I love mine. Not for everybody, but I've been happy.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If you're willing to come to Grant County, I'll get you some trigger time with several Kimber models.......

Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    What's the deal with '' EE '' , I'm not familiar with the problems on these models.
    I've got two Kimbers, I like one a lot, and I'm so impressed with the other I would NEVER sell it............
    There a really a lot of very good 1911's out the, I seem to see lot's of folks that are huge Springfield fans. I've had a few of them, there were very good!
    The thing that amazes me about Kimber is the way they continue to offer so many different styles/models..............

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Anybody have experience with the Kimber Custom CDP II 45 ACP?

I want a second pistol that is a .45 caliber with a 5" barrel to be used for the range and home defense and this is about as much as I want to spend on a second hand gun, I have seen them in the +/- $1k range

I already have a Glock 19 for carry.

custom_cdp_2.jpg

Last edited:

GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Really appreciate all the help. I think I've narrowed it down to the Tactical Pro II, but I'm having trouble actually getting my hands on very many models to find my favorite. Also I've heard of the EE problem before and don't know what to look for to avoid them. Anywhere I can find pics to compare with. Thanks Again to everyone who responded.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    The one above your post is not an EE (external extractor) if it was right behind the ejection port you would see a visible line running about a 1" towards the rear and that would be the External Extractor. Hope this helps. As far as the Tactical models go I have the Tactical Ultra II and it is a great gun, you will differently like the Tactical pro. Great choice.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Anybody have experience with the Kimber Custom CDP II 45 ACP?

I want a second pistol that is a .45 caliber with a 5" barrel to be used for the range and home defense and this is about as much as I want to spend on a second hand gun, I have seen them in the +/- $1k range

I already have a Glock 19 for carry.

custom_cdp_2.jpg

I don't have any personal experience with the CDP Custom but I know the are a very popular model. For the price with all the features they have I have no doubt you will like it.

Top Bottom