• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have a 4.5 year old daughter and a 2 year old son. We have been using the Eddie Eagle program on my daughter since she was 3 years old and able to speak.

1) See a gun, do not touch
    2) Leave the room
    3) Tell an adult

Now-a-days we have added a few more lines to 2
    2b) Leave the room and take your brother
    2c) Leave the room and take your cousin (4 year old boy)
    2d) Leave the room and take Rolly (the dog) [daughter's idea]

In any case not sure how posted this url on these boards. Think it was SE.
    Cornered Cat - Table of Contents

So today we started on "phase 2" and I took my daughter to the crawlspace (where I clean my firearm), asked her again about the gun rules and then asked her if she wanted to touch it. She told me "She is not allowed to". Which put a big smile on me cause we have that drilled now.

So I told her "Good. Now when Daddy is with you and only when daddy is with you you can help him clean it." I asked her if she wanted to help. She said yes. So I went thru the steps of making sure if was unloaded (I have unloaded it prior to this so as to have no ammo in the crawl). And then disassembled and had her help give me rags, cleaning stuff, rod, etc.. I actually cleaned the barrel and was having a good time asking questions and getting dirty (well her gloves at least).

We put the 1911 back together and I asked her if she wanted to hold it. Keeping it pointed towards the "wall" she said it was heavy. She gave it back to me and said "OK I'm thirsty". So we cleaned up, washed our hands and that was that.

I left the unloaded 1911 on the bed while we washed our hands and when we came out I ask her. So what are the rules for that gun?

Again she said it like before...
    Stop, Leave the room, get mom/dad

and did not look at the 1911 like anything else other than an object on the bed. One small victory for me! The gun being de-mysticied is when on it's way. My plan is to continue working on it for the next 6 months so that when she is 5 to buy her a youth pink bolt .22 and take her to the range.

Now for the 2 year old. LORD help me. He's a boy and gets into EVERYTHING!!!! I'm going to get gray hair with that one. :laugh:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Excellent stuff here!

Now, I have one question........ isn't it a bit cramped to be cleaning guns (well, doing anything) in a crawl space???

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    This was a great post, and should be mandatory reading for any parent who has both guns and children in their house.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Excellent stuff here!

Now, I have one question........ isn't it a bit cramped to be cleaning guns (well, doing anything) in a crawl space???

The crawl space is about high enough where I can get if I walk in and bend over (crouch) or put on some knee pads and walk on my knees. There is not much down there. Rough cement floor, sump pump, 2 lights, 2 boxes of tools and the house file server with UPS. I chose it as a place to clean the guns because the kids are scared of the place. "monsters" live in there as in spiders, those long 100 leg insets, and those wannabe armorilo type bug that becomes a ball if you get close to it. When the sump pump kicks on and you are in the crawl it gives enough of a "hum" to make you jump. In any case I typically sit Indian style in there on a make-shift little bench and clean to my hearts content since I know nobody will bother me. It's my own personal cave I guess.

I've even manged to put a LEGO Train layout in there and it runs good provided I lay on the floor. So I've managed to use the space for a lot of stuff that is "my time and my room". The rest of the house has been overrun by Barbie and Disney Cars toys. Plus the wife thinks that the garage is her "outside closet" so this is the only room in the house that nobody wanted. :laugh:

Now back to the topic.
    The link to the kids firearm rule had an interesting topic especially for all you 'young families' like mine where kids stuff (food, cloths, Pre-School class) keep cutting deep into the budget.

The ideal and safest place for a gun (not your defensive gun) but your don't use often gun is a safe that is BOLTED to the floor. Now I know safes cost lots of $$$$ so the author of that website had some other ways to keep the guns safe while you save up for a save.

This is for your non-defensive guns

1) Store all ammo in a locked container SEPARATE from your guns. A footlocker, the china cabinet, old wooden desk, wooden chest, etc. The lock is to prevent little hands from getting into the ammo and eating or playing with it. It's not theft proof only a safe BOLTED is that to a certain degree. Make sure you show the little ones what is inside the container and that these are "daddy/mommy"'s things. This way they know what is inside and it' not some mystery. They won't bother with it but if they get curious the lock is there to stop them and instead ask you to see what is inside. Since its boring ammo they will eventually stop asking. How much fun is it to look at ammo. hum?

2) Use layers of protection on the guns.
    1] Each gun should have a lock on it (cable lock, trigger, etc.)
    2] The guns should be stored in a locked container (carrying case, foot locker, cheap steel gun locker, etc..)
    3] No ammo in this container

Again let the little ones see what is inside and that mom/dad must be present if they want to touch these guns. If by some chance the kids get into the locked container they still have to unlock each firearm to be able to use it and even then they have to get to the other locked container for the ammo. It's NOT impossible but does make it harder.

Now as for your defensive gun. The author suggestion CARRY AT ALL TIMES. If you can not in the case of a SG then find some type of quick-release lock that you can bolt to the wall/closet/door wherever your SG is at.

Lots more in that website. It's a very good read especially for families with little ones who are BOYS!

Top Bottom