• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So, I had an old Kershaw 1530 Hawk. I bought it used here a couple years ago for like $10. I was an idiot and tried to take it apart myself to clean it after my wife spilled something in it and let dry all gunked up. :cool: Well, when one of the screws fell out, the washers fell out, and I couldn't get it back together correctly (Yeah, not the most mechanically inclined I guess, lol).
    I sent everything I could find in for service about a month ago, figuring the worst they could tell me is no.. I and just got a note back that my knife was not repairable :(
    Now, they DID send a voucher for $30 toward a new purchase. Part of me wonders why the heck they couldnt fix it, but part of my also realizes that I am coming out ahead money-wise. I loved that lil knife, it was sharp as could be, but.. I can pick up a new Chill for $4.99.

Thought about asking for my knife back, but I bet it is already junked, or in someone's pocket, lol.

Would you be mad, or thankful you got the $30 credit?

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'd have mixed feelings.I would be mad if they didn't at last contact me first.

Then again,I can see the legal aspects of sending something to a customer in less than perfect condition.(For those who aren't feeling that witty tonight just reply with quote the following: [insert firearms manufacturer name] does it every day!)

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I would expect more contact than here's 30 bucks go buy one of our other knives. If they have an issue with safety they should say that. They should also have returned everything to you unless you told them not to. That was your personal property, sending it in to them for repair doesn't change who owns it, it changes who has it. I would email them back, ask for your property and if they cannot do that then set your terms, similar or better model, certainly not a voucher forcing you to go buy something else.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, I had an old Kershaw 1530 Hawk. I bought it used here a couple years ago for like $10. I was an idiot and tried to take it apart myself to clean it after my wife spilled something in it and let dry all gunked up. :cool: Well, when one of the screws fell out, the washers fell out, and I couldn't get it back together correctly (Yeah, not the most mechanically inclined I guess, lol).
    I sent everything I could find in for service about a month ago, figuring the worst they could tell me is no.. I and just got a note back that my knife was not repairable :(
    Now, they DID send a voucher for $30 toward a new purchase. Part of me wonders why the heck they couldnt fix it, but part of my also realizes that I am coming out ahead money-wise. I loved that lil knife, it was sharp as could be, but.. I can pick up a new Chill for $4.99.

Thought about asking for my knife back, but I bet it is already junked, or in someone's pocket, lol.

Would you be mad, or thankful you got the $30 credit?

Mad....give me back my knife. They fixed it and kept it.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Kershaw seems to do that when a knife has been discontinued. If there's something wrong with it mechanically or if labor cost would be more than their cost to replace it, then they'd send you a credit.

I would have liked a courtesy call before they did that, but if they didn't get it back together and reassembly on my end failed once already, then not much use out of a knife that doesn't function properly

I don't know where your $30 credit is for, but you can get a 1530 on ebay for $20 shipped

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Kershaw seems to do that when a knife has been discontinued. If there's something wrong with it mechanically or if labor cost would be more than their cost to replace it, then they'd send you a credit.

I would have liked a courtesy call before they did that, but if they didn't get it back together and reassembly on my end failed once already, then not much use out of a knife that doesn't function properly

I don't know where your $30 credit is for, but you can get a 1530 on ebay for $20 shipped

Is this it?

Kershaw Knives: Hawk G-10 Plain Edge Pocket Knife 1530

Buy a new one for $21 and come out ahead overall... :twocents:

The credit is for buying from them directly, of course, lol

When I call to redeem the Voucher I am certainly going to ask for my knife back, but if they refuse.. oh well, from a financial standpoint, I will come out ahead.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I wouldn't fork over any extra cash. A lifetime warranty means a lifetime to have a knife not prorated like a car battery. Throw a fit if need be. Nobody seems to do anything unless you take it up a notch. Let us know how it goes.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Talked to Kershaw today.. Here's the deal..

In the small print it says, basically "If we cannot repair knives that have sentimental value, we can return them back to you". Since I didn't check the box that says "Sentimental Value" they kept it. OK, fair enough, I should have read better, but I also think it could have been a little clearer..

I picked out the Chill for $34.99. The very nice young lady I spoke to also offered to waive the difference of $4.99.

All and all, I think I came out ahead, just caveat emptor and read the fine print..

----------

BTW, did you know that Kershaw will replace the blade on ANY folder for $10, and $30 for Zero Tolerance folders?

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    It is a discontinued model and not a collectors knife so therefore has no money value to it. I think they gave you a good deal. It might have had some sentimental value but that is all. They have no reason to keep a knife that has no value to them. Besides they have plenty of knives.:): Pick a new knife and enjoy it.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Update:

I have actually come to like the Chill. It's thin, light, and pretty sharp. All in all I am happy with the way things turned out.

Top Bottom