• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    I have popped in and spent money in this establishment for the last 20 years. But I have to provide this bit of information. The owner has the absolute worst retail personality I have ever encountered. His daughter is poised to take over the business and she has inherited his wonderful disposition. Small local shop with a pricing strategy that is hard to comprehend. I have purchased a few things and will still stop in since he is local and sometimes has used inventory that is interesting. But a warning for anyone just stopping by, be prepared for some of the crustiest personalities (and somewhat poor advice / strange opinions). Kempfs in Michigan city Indiana...the least customer friendly retail of any kind I have ever visited. If you can deal with that than you are ok. But it does not have much to offer either. Unless you stumble on a used item they have priced right.

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    Been buying from Kempfs for about 8 years. I've had good experiences there and some where I wondered how they stayed in business. Sue has helped me several times with my Lee reloading equipment. I made an offer on a used revo one time. Guess it was too low. Not a good reaction overall.
    They carry SNS casting bullets. I could buy direct from SNS but I buy 500 at a time. Couple weeks ago Sue held a pound of powder for me. It was the last one they had in stock.
    I'd never want to try to run a retail store. Kempf's is what it is. I'll keep buying from them. I don't ask for much advice anymore (reloading) so my transactions are short and sweet.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I never met or dealt a woman there, so I cannot comment on her. Last purchase I made from Kemp was well over 25 years ago. I used to operate with the philosophy that I was only there to buy product, not to make friends. When the guy wouldn't talk to me it was tolerable on those terms. When he did talk to me, or should I say talk down, I decided life is too short to bring my hard earned money to people like that. I will (and have) gladly payed extra to someone that does not think he has reason to abuse me. In a perfect world, he would have been forced to find other work and a reasonable human being would step up to fill the market slot.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    I stopped in Kempfs for the first time Friday. I was too pumped to notice personalities much. I bought my reloading set up there. I was kinda disappointed they didn't share my excitement in spending close to $400 on stuff to get into reloading. But, it's old news to them probably. Wifey went with me and she enjoyed the apparel selection-she found a hat she liked and blackmailed me to buy it.:dunno: Sorta couldn't say no.:D It's just a place to buy what I need. I recall having a friendlier time at Plainfield when I bought my Glock.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Had a run in with the old man at a gun show years ago. I wouldn't even carry out the dust on his floor on my shoes. Folks in Michigan City area must be desperate for reloading and shooting supplies.

Top Bottom