• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Is there anyway to get permission to keep a concealed firearm in the glove box during class? I commute to college and drive through some back roads at night so I'd like to keep a firearm in my glove box just in case I got a flat or the car broke down and I needed it. Any advice on the laws on this?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Colleges have RULES that say guns are not allowed.

However, there is no Indiana LAW that forbids guns on campus.

You are LEGALLY allowed to have a gun on campus but the RULES of the school still forbid it and you will be kicked out of school for having a gun on campus, if caught.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you keep it in your car, keep it out of sight. As you note, the glove box.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a blurb about permission in the Constitution or something. It was near the top of the list as I recall.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    While being caught may cost you dearly, you're not going to be charged criminally for the action. Unless of course you refuse to leave upon being asked to, then you're facing trespass.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Priorities

Colleges have RULES that say guns are not allowed.

I would imagine the rule is buried deep inside some manual that no one ever reads. But I bet every building has No Smoking signs pasted all over.

So just like the colleges approach to signage, out of sight, out of mind. Personally I would go for a locking case in the trunk of the car while on campus. Your argument about back road travel is better with the trunk lock box as the glove box is so easily accessable.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Why not carry it on you well concealed?

Not like cars don't ever get broken into on college campuses...

-J-

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I don't think it'd be a good idea to carry it on my person, however, I am intrigued by this locked in the trunk idea. If I locked my glove boxe with a trigger lock on the pistol, would that work?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Unless they search your car when you arrive, just keep it in your glove box and SHUT UP about it.

I went back to school in the evening for a couple of years to finish my degree at a local Indianapolis university extension, and I carried a Glock 27 in my book bag the entire time.

I just NEVER said a word about it to anybody, and never let my book bag out of my sight.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If I left it in my vehicle, I would put a lock on it. I would not tell anyone at the school I had it, classmates or employees of the school.

If it were me, I would carry an easily concealable firearm like an LCP and I would carry it on my person while shutting up about it. I figure I would get in as much trouble for having it on my person as in my car if I were busted (trouble like kicked out of school, not like kicked into jail) and I would not worry about it being stolen from my car or getting jumped in the parking lot while trying to unlock my car to unlock my gun to prevent my family from attending another funeral.

Your life, you know the specifics, but if I had it to do all over again, I would get a subcompact handgun and a good deep concealment holster and shut my mouth about it until I had my diploma.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Is there anyway to get permission to keep a concealed firearm in the glove box during class? I commute to college and drive through some back roads at night so I'd like to keep a firearm in my glove box just in case I got a flat or the car broke down and I needed it. Any advice on the laws on this?

I guess I'll ask. You do have your LTCH right? Without that, you must keep it locked and inaccessible at all times to be considered transporting rather than carrying. That wouldn't help much in the case of a blown tire.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Yes, I have my permit. I got it for my 18th birthday, I'm simply worried about a random search and then being kicked out of school. I don't run my mouth about having a gun because that screams pure ignorance, however, that is good advice to keep in mind.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yes, I have my permit. I got it for my 18th birthday, I'm simply worried about a random search and then being kicked out of school. I don't run my mouth about having a gun because that screams pure ignorance, however, that is good advice to keep in mind.

A random search, that you don't agree to, especially by a public university = pay day for you.

Private institution - you may very well agree to certain terms & conditions upon enrolling/attending. Of course, I am not a lawyer.

-J-

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    If I left it in my vehicle, I would put a lock on it. I would not tell anyone at the school I had it, classmates or employees of the school.

If it were me, I would carry an easily concealable firearm like an LCP and I would carry it on my person while shutting up about it. I figure I would get in as much trouble for having it on my person as in my car if I were busted (trouble like kicked out of school, not like kicked into jail) and I would not worry about it being stolen from my car or getting jumped in the parking lot while trying to unlock my car to unlock my gun to prevent my family from attending another funeral.

Your life, you know the specifics, but if I had it to do all over again, I would get a subcompact handgun and a good deep concealment holster and shut my mouth about it until I had my diploma.
    QFT
    Unless you've done something to draw attention from the police you should have no reason to be searched. Since the penalty will most likely the same it is found on your person or in your car, if it was me, I would carry it very well concealed, and tell no one. If it is locked in your car, you run the risk of it being stolen. If you're mugged in the parking lot, it won't jump out of the glove compartment and save you.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Safety Second

I don't think it'd be a good idea to carry it on my person, however, I am intrigued by this locked in the trunk idea. If I locked my glove boxe with a trigger lock on the pistol, would that work?

While a trigger lock may make the pistol safe keep in mind that the colleges rules are not about safety but perceptions. It is simply too easy for someone to see the gun in the glove compartment when you open it to get your registration or whatever. So while the trigger lock would help resolve the safety issue some campus cop will still get his panties in a wad if he saw the gun with or without the trigger lock. Some liberal student might see it and wet himself out of fear of an inanimate object.

This Gun Vault Nano has a cable that you can secure to the frame of the car in the trunk and then lock the gun inside. Really not any more secure than your locked glove compartment but it is not accessable from the passenger compartment.

$(KGrHqFHJBsE7y7)3mg2BPBEi,!!Rg~~60_35.JPG

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The problem with the gun in the trunk, is someone, or a camera, seeing him put the gun in or take it out.

If it is looped under your seat, or somewhere else inside, maybe less chance someone seeing it.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I'm thinking this car lock box is a good idea because it could easily be seen as a box to keep my valuables in and not neccisarly for a gun. Plus all I have to do is keep it hidden securely under my seat and not tell anyone I have it. I'd only need it if I got in a bad way on the back roads such as engine failure.

Last edited:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    There is absolutely no reason to leave it in your car on campus. Keep it on your person. It doesn't do ANY good in your car locked up. When you need it, you will need it NOW. Not when you get to your car, open the box, etc.

Even if you were just changing a tire, or stopped at a stop sign on a back road. You think they will wait for you?

The only way you would get caught having it on your person, is if you told someone you had it, or you are a fool and it "fell" out of your pants. Many of us carry or carried every day to IU campuses without problems.

Top Bottom