• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I thought that i got a good deal on a Kahr CW40 at the last 1500, but it was not to be. I went to the range to try out my purchase. I loaded up the stock magazine and tried to insert it into the magwell and it wouldn't fit. Upon closer inspection, this is what i found.
    IMAG0244.jpg
    IMAG0243.jpg

They look like stress fractures of the steel. When the magazine is loaded, the upward pressure of the ammunition flares out the top of the magazine, making it too wide to fit in the magwell without forcing it. Good thing I bought a 7 rounder at the 1500, otherwise i would have been SOL for trying it out.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Mail it back to Kahr, and they'll replace it. You don't even need to call or get an RMA. Just include a note.

Magazines are their weak point for sure.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Not sure about shipping without an RMA. I'd recommend contacting their customer support. I'm sure they will take care of you, but they'll be able to tell you the right way to handle it so that you don't run into even more frustration.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Not sure about shipping without an RMA. I'd recommend contacting their customer support. I'm sure they will take care of you, but they'll be able to tell you the right way to handle it so that you don't run into even more frustration.
    I sent one back on Wednesday (for a different issue). I emailed first and they told me to drop it in the mail with a short note. I specifically asked about an RMA, and he said "We only issue RMA's for guns."

Certainly nothing to lose by calling/emailling yourself, of course.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I strongly agree with what BrewerGeorge and Pudly have recommended. Call customer service. They may even suggest some other parts for the gun if they think this is due to a malfunction. (I think it is) I had some problems with my PM40 and they worked with me to resolve it.

NO CHARGE for any of the parts that they sent me.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Be glad you missed out on the whole follower breakage period they went through on their .40 followers... :-)

-J-

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've never seen one.

I wish there were, because mags are the definite weak point of this otherwise-excellent family.

You may be right about the Kahr magazines being a weak point. There are no aftermarket mags that I know of either. My experience was that the magazine catch was hanging up on the magazine follower. They sent me now followers (to replace my broken ones) and a new mag catch. The new mag catch did not extend into the magazine tube far enough to hit the follower. Problem solved. Since repair, I have shot 200+ rounds without any malfunctions. I am very happy with the gun.

civicisaye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Nope, Kahr's customer service is actually pretty good. They sent me the wrong mag durin the free mag rebate. Called them, they sent me the right one AND a baseplate to make the wrong one work with my cw9, so I got 2 free mags :)

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    finally got a chance to call Kahr today and they are sending me a new magazine, no questions asked! I don't even have to send in the broken one. :rockwoot: Kahr rocks!

Man, I am glad to hear that. If you have any more problems keep calling them back. They will help you until the problem is resolved. If you bust another mag then you will need to figure out what the root cause of the problem is. Good luck with your Kahr.

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    i think kahr magazines are suspect as a whole. I have a p380 and while my has not split like that the spring retention is pretty bad. Also the follower doesnt seem to fit right. The top round of the mag wiggles all over the place and sometimes points to far downward making reliable feeding much tougher. i always have to smack the back of the mag to seat them all right, unlike my glock mags which are great.

Top Bottom