Kahr CW45: Good value, or expensive paperweight?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I'm looking at getting into a 45. Something easy to carry, but easy to shoot. I've got a few different guns on the list, but a 45 for under $400? Sounds too good to be true! YouTube videos are full of praise, but I want to hear from INGO. What say you?

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I too would like to hear info from people with the cw45. I would like a new edc and the cw45 looks like a nice option.

Unfortunatly, there seems to be a lot of unfavorable reviews/people having trouble with them if you look through the Kahr talk forums. I don't know if it was a specific batch with issues or it is a common problem.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Damn. Thanks for the heads up Wheezy. The posts I just read on the Kahr forums scared my wallet back into my pocket. Maybe I'll just hold out for an XDs or something.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    I thought the same thing so I picked one up. It was a turd! Came with 2 mags, 1 split down the sides within 200 rds. Tried shooting lead out of it( no it wasnt one of the poly rifiling ones) and it was horrible. My biggest problem was the mag dropped while shooting all the time, because of a p**s poor mag spring. Kahr supposedly will fix this with some sort of tape they put inside the mag well. Over all I wouldn't buy another one, mine got traded within 3 weeks.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I thought the same thing so I picked one up. It was a turd! Came with 2 mags, 1 split down the sides within 200 rds. Tried shooting lead out of it( no it wasnt one of the poly rifiling ones) and it was horrible. My biggest problem was the mag dropped while shooting all the time, because of a p**s poor mag spring. Kahr supposedly will fix this with some sort of tape they put inside the mag well. Over all I wouldn't buy another one, mine got traded within 3 weeks.

Yikes. I hope you didn't lose too much on it. :( I'm really glad I did some research before dropping coin on one. I'm kinda sad, because the grip and texture feels amazing to me. Between the super long trigger reset, and the issues I've read about in the last 30 minutes, I am completely turned off. Turns out the Kahr CW45 is indeed a turd.

XDs, anyone?

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I've played with one, but wouldn't own one even if they were as reliable as a stone (which they ain't). The looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong trigger was a real turn off for me. Its so long my finger slides down the trigger face as I pull it back. My hands are bit on the bigger side, too, and it didn't feel to me.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Yikes. I hope you didn't lose too much on it. :( I'm really glad I did some research before dropping coin on one. I'm kinda sad, because the grip and texture feels amazing to me. Between the super long trigger reset, and the issues I've read about in the last 30 minutes, I am completely turned off. Turns out the Kahr CW45 is indeed a turd.

XDs, anyone?

Now the xds on the other hand is awesomeness in a lil package!! Not as much muzzle flip as you would expect out of a small thin 45. It's a bulldog for sure!

white-eye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Boone county
    I've had a cw45 for a little over a year now and put well over a thousand rounds through it without a single issue. I like the feel of the grip and the trigger, I would trust my life with it no questions asked.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Glock 36 (single stack).
    Glock 30 SF (double stack).

It's definitely on the radar. I want to shoot one first. Anyone in NWI wanna loan me one for a day?

Now the xds on the other hand is awesomeness in a lil package!! Not as much muzzle flip as you would expect out of a small thin 45. It's a bulldog for sure!

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of Croatian guns, but until they come out with a Shield in 45.... :D

I've had a cw45 for a little over a year now and put well over a thousand rounds through it without a single issue. I like the feel of the grip and the trigger, I would trust my life with it no questions asked.

I'm glad you're getting reliability out of yours. It seems to be a 50/50 chance of getting a bad one. I like the grip too, and I could probably learn to like the trigger pull and reset, but the reliability issues kill it for me.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    When I was looking for a summer carry .45, I held the CW45, Glock 36, and the XDs. For me it was no contest. The XDs is cheaper, smaller, and feels much better.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a CW9, an excellent pistol' so I reasoned the CW45 would be as well. Was I disappointed; it was a POC. The third time I had to send it in, I just cut my losses and sold it "as is". I have heard much better things about the PM45, but for almost twice the price, it should work perfectly. Very good feedback on the CM9 as well.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Have been considering the CW45, after some difficultly in finding one. It seems like this summer the price just dropped on them, and the dealers that have them are anxious to get rid theirs. The above posts about quality is the first I've heard because Kahr is supposed to be high quality. My thinking was the competition from Ruger's LCR or LC9, now the XDs was/is the reason for lack of demand.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Have been considering the CW45, after some difficultly in finding one. It seems like this summer the price just dropped on them, and the dealers that have them are anxious to get rid theirs. The above posts about quality is the first I've heard because Kahr is supposed to be high quality. My thinking was the competition from Ruger's LCR or LC9, now the XDs was/is the reason for lack of demand.

I hadn't heard of any quality issues either, until it was brought to my attention in this thread. Upon further review of the Kahr forums, there's a LOT of issues. More complaints than praise.

Top Bottom