• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • escooper1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 29, 2015
    Crown Point
    Hi everyone just got my license to carry and was thinking .40 cal as primary and need input for good backup pocket pistol or the likes. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good brand, dependable 40 cal for carrying that isn't too big but still has decent capacity? Also what kind of back up would you recommend as far as caliber, size, and best way to carry? Thanks for any input, I'm 6'8" and 320lbs so not a little guy with too many concealment issues. Thanks again.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You are 5 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than I am. Based on that, I am going to advise a mid-sized gun especially if you go with a .40. There are lots of good choices on the market, and the right one is the one that is comfortable on your person and in your hand. The only way to work through this is to go to a gun shop with as large an inventory as possible and start putting fingerprints on guns until you find the one that fits your hand just right which is also comfortable on your person. If the shop is any good, you will find a helpful staff member who will help you find what you need.

The problem with giving more specific advice aside from buying adequate quality is that your hand and mine are not alike and you preferences and mine are not alike. Personally, I would go with a 1911 in .45 ACP which was my first some 20 years ago and still is my favorite. Even though a Glock is adequately durable and reliable, I have no desire to own one--and Glock offers a good selection of sizes of gun in good defensive calibers, so giving even-handed advice, I would advise that you not overlook the Glock. In the end, it is much like finding a pair of shoes that fits you well.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    yep. guns are like running shoes. what works for me doesnt necessarily work for you. get your hands on as many options as you can, and fire as many as you can. THEN you will know what works for you.

MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    A compact pistol will give you the most capacity for size. Your frame size should be able to carry it.
    Compact .40's to recommend would be Glock 23, XDm 3.8, FNS 40, Sig P320, M&P 40c, Walther PPQ... There are lots.
    If you like hammer fired, than Sig P229 or CZ75 variants are the way to go.

Last edited:

SpiritClump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2015
    Middlebury
    You ought to try some out and see how you like them. You've got lots of options. A brand I would suggest is Glock though, they make some nice guns.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hi everyone just got my license to carry and was thinking .40 cal as primary and need input for good backup pocket pistol or the likes. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good brand, dependable 40 cal for carrying that isn't too big but still has decent capacity? Also what kind of back up would you recommend as far as caliber, size, and best way to carry? Thanks for any input, I'm 6'8" and 320lbs so not a little guy with too many concealment issues. Thanks again.

Reconsider caliber: 9mm is easier to shoot well, cheaper to feed, and terminal ballistics for modern JHP ammo is about the same as .40 JHP

Glock 19, Walther PPQ, Sig Sauer P320, HK VP9

Good belt, good kydex IWB holster, good kydex mag pouch

A couple of cases of ammo

Some training & practice

An assortment of premium JHP ammo to verify what functions best in your gun

A couple of hundred rounds of the JHP that works best to verify that it really works in your gun

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Reconsider caliber: 9mm is easier to shoot well, cheaper to feed, and terminal ballistics for modern JHP ammo is about the same as .40 JHP

Some training & practice

A couple of hundred rounds of the JHP that works best to verify that it really works in your gun
    ^^^^^^ What he said^^^^^^^

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Agreed on the suggestion to reconsider caliber. I stick to 9mm and .45 (well, the latter, once it comes in and I can pick it up *waiting impatiently*).

One idea is to pick a gun that comes in various calibers, using the same basic frame (or "platform", if you want to sound all operationally operating operator). I like the Ruger SR series, which comes in SR9/SR9c (9mm full-sized/compact), SR40/SR40c (.40 full-sized/compact), and SR45 (.45 full-sized). Other manufacturers have similar offerings (Smith & Wesson Shield, GLOCK brand Glocks, etc.). Pick the pistol you like, and then you can easily move among calibers.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Some training & practice

Another vote for not eyeballing one caliber. I sold all my 40s for multiple reasons. The main one being I was just more accurate with 9. And with ballistics improvements in the last 20 years you dont necessarily NEED 40.

And if you just are afraid of not being powerful enough, look at a 45 instead. Same basic power but a slower projectile and its easier for many to shoot because its not as "snappy" as a 40 when fired.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    When I saw the title, I thought he was trying to start a fight. More fights have started over that question than "your sister's a slut".
    We all have our prejudices and likes/dislikes. Please don't buy without shooting it. Someone said like a pair of shoes. True, true, true. Without wearing them, who would buy shoes because they looked nice, were made by the right company, and had laces that I already had a pair of? Besides your son-in-law.

The proof is in the pudding. You have to taste it to find out. You got to shoot it! Think rentals.

Many, many fan boys for 1911 and Glocks. Always!
    My prejudices are wheel guns. If it doesn't spin, it's a sin. Not that many of us left. and you can forget about finding that 40 caliber in a nice sixgun. Few were made and requiring moon clips is problematic.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I carry a Glock 27 and it is pretty easy to shoot. You can always run with Glock 23 (mid-size) or Glock 22 (full-size) mags; they also make a grip extension for those magazines called the X-Grip, which I use.

Don't be fearful of the 40 (versus 9mm). From what I've seen, you often have to run 9mm to +P+ levels to get close to .40 kinetic energy levels...and you get the added benefit of a bigger hole.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I carry a Glock 27 and it is pretty easy to shoot. You can always run with Glock 23 (mid-size) or Glock 22 (full-size) mags; they also make a grip extension for those magazines called the X-Grip, which I use.

Don't be fearful of the 40 (versus 9mm). From what I've seen, you often have to run 9mm to +P+ levels to get close to .40 kinetic energy levels...and you get the added benefit of a bigger hole.

Kinetic energy is not the only or primary factor in the efficacy of pistol-launched projectiles on hostile human targets.

You need to consider the terminal ballistics, i.e. the effects the projectiles have in test media as well as documented results of autopsies. In terms of what happens in ballistic gelatin and what happens in real shootings, the results between modern 9mm JHP is very similar to .40S&W.

There is no real downside to 9mm in this comparison and significant advantages. Anyone who shoots a specific gun well in .40 can and will shoot it better in 9mm.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In guns, the subjective is objective.

What you like you will practice with more.

What is important is that you seek knowledge. Go to school and allow your software to select your hardware.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Kinetic energy is not the only or primary factor in the efficacy of pistol-launched projectiles on hostile human targets.

You need to consider the terminal ballistics, i.e. the effects the projectiles have in test media as well as documented results of autopsies. In terms of what happens in ballistic gelatin and what happens in real shootings, the results between modern 9mm JHP is very similar to .40S&W.

There is no real downside to 9mm in this comparison and significant advantages. Anyone who shoots a specific gun well in .40 can and will shoot it better in 9mm.

Most 9mm's aren't capable of 40 caliber energy levels, which IS a downside to the 9mm. To ignore that is to ignore physics.

Ballistic gel is only a standard medium and should not be confused with a representation of human tissue (instead of the benchmark media that it actually is). I have also never read a reputable comparison of pistol calibers in a statistical fashion as you cite, so please include your sources.

When it comes down to it, shot placement is king when defending yourself with a pistol. With that being said, how can you claim that a bigger sized bullet with more energy is going to cause the same damage as a smaller bullet with less energy? That doesn't add up. I do agree that the 9mm does advantages, but it isn't the ultimate cartridge that you label it to be.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Most 9mm's aren't capable of 40 caliber energy levels, which IS a downside to the 9mm. To ignore that is to ignore physics.

Ballistic gel is only a standard medium and should not be confused with a representation of human tissue (instead of the benchmark media that it actually is). I have also never read a reputable comparison of pistol calibers in a statistical fashion as you cite, so please include your sources.

When it comes down to it, shot placement is king when defending yourself with a pistol. With that being said, how can you claim that a bigger sized bullet with more energy is going to cause the same damage as a smaller bullet with less energy? That doesn't add up. I do agree that the 9mm does advantages, but it isn't the ultimate cartridge that you label it to be.

I dont see that he is claiming its anything near ultimate. He is seeing the same thing I am seeing since I started carrying back in the 90s and chose the 40 because it had superior properties at the time.

Now 20+ years later, they have made incredible advances in ballistics tech. Is the 9 equal to a 40? No. Is it an effective round? Hell yes!

I'll reiterate my educated opinion: 9mm is VERY effective. As a recovering 40 shooter, I found that the 9 is "good enough" when combined with the increased accuracy and follow-up shots. It boils down to this; what good is a devastating caliber if you cant hit your target accurately with it?

If you really need a big bore round, just go 45. (it seems to be easier to shoot) Or if you shoot it well, Go 40. Just shoot what you are comfortable with AND WHAT YOU ARE ACCURATE WITH. :rockwoot:

But by all means, the new shooter needs to try out what they think they want before they buy.

Last edited:

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Looks like most people didn't read your post.
    You have two questions going:
    What do we recommend for a good .40
    What would be a good "backup" pistol to carry in addition to your primary.

My opinion has nothing to do with physics. Its just my opinion. And I don't have any idea what I'm talking about. I'm just going to tell you what I would do. Not what you or anyone else should do. (now if someone criticizes my plan, they are just being ornery... )

1) Decide how you want to carry your primary. In the waistband (IWB) or Outside the waistband (OWB) or some other fashion.
    2) Abandon the idea of .40 It sounds cool and it hits hard. A .40 will turn heads at the range- cause its loud. A 10 mm is awesome too. Unless you want to get into reloading, neither is a good choice due to expense and availability of target ammunition.
    3) Your "back up" should be the same calibre as your "primary". Why make things more difficult than they need to be?
    4) In a personal defense situation, I'd rather meet a threat with more rounds of 9mm than fewer rounds of .45 or .40 or anything else.
    5) I'd rather have an extra magazine than a "backup" gun
    6) I'd go with a SIG 226 in 9mm carried strong side IWB hybrid tuck holster with an FBI forward cant and a reload on the weak side if I were your size. That's 31 rounds of 9mm in an extremely reliable pistol. If you can't influence the activities of everyone withing 100 yds in all directions, you're doing it wrong.
    7) If you MUST have a backup. Then you have to go Glock. It pains me to say it. Cause I hate Glocks. But if you plan well, you can use a common magazine for a primary and a backup. Just understand, you'll wind up shooting yourself in the leg at some point. All Glock owners do, eventually. And they are ugly.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

My opinion has nothing to do with physics. Its just my opinion. And I don't have any idea what I'm talking about. I'm just going to tell you what I would do. Not what you or anyone else should do. (now if someone criticizes my plan, they are just being ornery... )

1) Decide how you want to carry your primary. In the waistband (IWB) or Outside the waistband (OWB) or some other fashion.
    2) Abandon the idea of .40 It sounds cool and it hits hard. A .40 will turn heads at the range- cause its loud. A 10 mm is awesome too. Unless you want to get into reloading, neither is a good choice due to expense and availability of target ammunition.
    3) Your "back up" should be the same calibre as your "primary". Why make things more difficult than they need to be?
    4) In a personal defense situation, I'd rather meet a threat with more rounds of 9mm than fewer rounds of .45 or .40 or anything else.
    6) I'd go with a SIG 226 in 9mm carried strong side IWB hybrid tuck holster with an FBI forward cant and a reload on the weak side if I were your size. That's 31 rounds of 9mm in an extremely reliable pistol. If you can't influence the activities of everyone withing 100 yds in all directions, you're doing it wrong.
    7) If you MUST have a backup. Then you have to go Glock. It pains me to say it. Cause I hate Glocks. But if you plan well, you can use a common magazine for a primary and a backup. Just understand, you'll wind up shooting yourself in the leg at some point. All Glock owners do, eventually. And they are ugly.

You forgot 2a: 10mm Fanbois will ridicule you for choosing a weak/neutered version of their superior cartrige. :):

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I can agree with much of this and ultimately I do prefer the 9 these days, so don't get me wrong. I originally came from .357 in revolvers, went to .45 semi auto, decided I wanted to go smaller and went with .40 as I didn't want to step down to 9mm at the time. Now I've come full circle and carry 9mm.

To follow up on OutdoorDad's points:

1) Holster and belt are very important decisions and should be factored in significantly while deciding on at least size of gun.
    2) I would say the cost of ammo for .40 is not crazily expensive compared to 9, and the ammo is readily available, but its not as cheap as 9. 40 was available when 9mm was hard to find in recent "shortages".
    3) Agree, and I'd also suggest as similar as possible for backup to primary. In any case, one is none, and two is one. You will want a backup, even if it is the same exact model of gun. Something that allows the same holster, method of carry, has the same trigger style, etc is a big bonus.
    4) Agree
    5) I'd want extra mags no matter what, so yes, generally agree.
    6) No comment
    7) Agree with going with Glock, not the shooting in the leg thing.

You forgot 2a: 10mm Fanbois will ridicule you for choosing a weak/neutered version of their superior cartridge. :):
    I remember the days of the 40 Short and Weak references.

if you go with a glock 23 as a primary and a 27 as a back up you can carry 23 mags as reloads.they will fit both guns

A Glock 19 and 26 is a hard package to beat as well. I did the 23 & 27 thing, and am now using a 19 & 26 combination (I may add a 43 at some point). I just did not enjoy nor shoot the .40 as well as 9mm. As stated, the 26/19, or the 27,23 can share mags, holsters, etc as well as has the same SOP for handling, shooting, etc. An M&P 9 and an M&P9C together would make a great combo as well.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom